Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

August 2016: Citi limit 1 personal card bonus per program (AA/EX/HH/TY) in 24 months.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I apped for the 40k AA Plat today and got a verbal confirmation of the bonus from the rep over the phone. I'm starting to believe that DoC is accurate.
All the rep can verify is if the offer is attached to your account. They have no way of knowing if you'll actually receive the bonus after completing spend. Citi will send you a card even if you don't qualify for the bonus.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Superorb
All the rep can verify is if the offer is attached to your account. They have no way of knowing if you'll actually receive the bonus after completing spend. Citi will send you a card even if you don't qualify for the bonus.
If the offer is in your approval letter, you at least have some "proof".
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
As long as the approval letter doesn't include the fine print about not getting bonuses if you've opened or closed a card...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by penner42
As long as the approval letter doesn't include the fine print about not getting bonuses if you've opened or closed a card...
I don't think they're that competent.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penner42
Historically, the letter (for personal cards*) has not mentioned the bonus for people who did not qualify for the bonus (say, because they broke the 18/24 month open/close rule), and has mentioned the bonus people for people who did qualify for the bonus.

While there's of course no guarantee that Citi didn't just change the way these letters work last week, historically the letter spelling out the bonus means you will get the bonus, while the letter not spelling the bonus (for personal cards*) means you're not likely.

* Historically, Citi business cards have never mentioned the bonus in the letter. So for Citi business cards, you have to use other ways to verify that you qualified for the bonus.

The letter is specific to your already-opened account. Nothing specific to your already-opened account has ever had langauge about "if you've opened or closed a card", because they're already done that evaluation by the time they generate your approval letter. (That's one reason the letter is sent out a day or two after you're actually approved, because they don't know this yet at the exact moment of approval. Whether you're approved, and for what credit limit, is handled by a different "department" than whether you qualify for the bonus. They approve -- or decline -- you first, and then "someone" else -- human or computer, I don't know -- figures out whether you qualify for the bonus.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 20, 2016 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Well, yeah, of course, but I was replying to a post about a Citi agent confirming a bonus. The mailer is the key.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: Multiple
Went to a branch today. The terms of the Prestige card that the banker showed me already has the updated language ("Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige cards opened or closed in the past 24 months.") She didn't know about the 8/28 thing. Decided not to apply...

Last edited by davidalism; Aug 22, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by davidalism
Went to a branch today. The terms of the Prestige card that the banker showed me already has the updated language ("Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige cards opened or closed in the past 24 months.") She didn't know about the 8/28 thing. Decided not to apply...
Try applying by phone. I did yesterday and they read to old terms to me (twice).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by DrForce
Try applying by phone. I did yesterday and they read to old terms to me (twice).
Just called and the rep read the new terms before anything else. She said this verbatim:

"Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige cards opened or closed in the past 24 months."

I did not apply.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Am I screwed? Applied yesterday for the Hilton Reserve, instant denial without an application ID to reference. L

ooks like too many new inquiries. Currently have 9 in the last 6 months, 3 are from February and should fall off if they haven't already, 1 is from my apartment application on the same day I made credit card application. I wanted to get in the Reserve before the 28th cutoff, and I called recon, and was told I need to wait for the letter.

If I wait for the letter and dispute, will I fall outside of the 28th and lose out on the bonus? Should I just write to the executive office immediately?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Approval letter arrived today which confirms 25,000 bonus miles after $750 spend.

Originally Posted by jdscott
Datapoint - Just applied for Citi AA Gold card. Agent verified bonus without prompting after previously mentioning "all the other" cards I had with them. Last AA card was the platinum which I opened about 12 months ago. Currently have 2 platinums open.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Superorb
Well, yeah, of course, but I was replying to a post about a Citi agent confirming a bonus. The mailer is the key.
Well, got the letter in the mail today confirming the bonus on the 40k Platinum. Opened Gold AA 9/2015 and closed 4/2016.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:17 pm
eh9

Under the rules when it's stated past 24 months, is it to the day or month? For example

I opened an account 8/22/14, am I eligible 8/23/16 or 9/1/16? Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by eh9
Under the rules when it's stated past 24 months, is it to the day or month? For example

I opened an account 8/22/14, am I eligible 8/23/16 or 9/1/16? Thanks

Personally I would give it more of a cushion and apply 9/22.

IMO you waited 2 years , why rush it and miss out and end up waiting 2 more as Citi will give you the card without the bonus.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:00 pm
eh9

Thanks ya I agree. It's hard though with the same category rule affecting applications supposedly around 8/28 it may be a matter of applying and chancing missing the bonus or waiting another ~1.5yrs since last app of same category

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.