Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Every datapoint I've seen over the past ~8 months (may be up to a year) suggests that this is no longer true and that credit is now freed up very quickly after CL reductions as well as card closures.

At least this one doesn't actually hurt you.
I'm not sure which data points you are referring to. I'm curious how quickly "very quickly" is in reference to reducing credit lines.

Until I see some very strong data points that CL is freed up just as quickly when canceling a card as it is when reducing a CL first, I'm going to want to stick to lowering it first, since as you say doing so doesn't cause any harm.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
I would as I still find it a good deal, the other two major mainline US carriers programs are no better.
Approved with a 10k limit. Guess it's time to look into that CitiGold thing everyone keeps talking about.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
I have a targeted offer for a Citi AA Platinum for 60k point bonus. Is it worth signing up for even with the devaluation?
I just applied for and was approved this targeted offer - IMO while the deval is annoying it is certainly not a program killer and United and Delta are as bad if not worse.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:03 pm

Do we have any data points for anyone applied for a platinum card didn't get the bonus; waited for the new card to convert to WE, apply again and get the bonus?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Do we have any data points for anyone applied for a platinum card didn't get the bonus; waited for the new card to convert to WE, apply again and get the bonus?
Read back less than 2 pages you will find it. And if you trace back to the quoted poster's earlier posts, you will find more details.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:55 am

I can't be sure my old AA plat was ever switched over to a WE - I'm still using the old Visa version of the card if that helps. I do see the offer for the 30k Plat in my "offers" section so it would seem I can re-app.

I found an offer on the booking screen that is 40k miles +100 statement credit that could be useful for me, but I can't determine if it's "safe" for me to apply and received bonus and credit.

Thoughts from the experts?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Follow up:

My speculation appears to be correct.

As summarized above, she had a citi plat select world card, that was I closed before it was converted to WE. She applied, received a plat select world card but no bonus. We have waited for it to convert to WE, and now in her preapproved offers you may be interested in, there is a 50k plat select. Further more, I was recently approved for my 3rd plat select world card last week and the welcome letter references the bonus 50k.
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I didn't state it but, seeing that preapproved offer, we applied with link 4c and was approved. Will report back with final confirmation that the letter shows the bonus which I'm confident it will since it showed up in preapproved offers.
Originally Posted by Happy
Read back less than 2 pages you will find it. And if you trace back to the quoted poster's earlier posts, you will find more details.
Thank You. i don't believe there was a followup confirmation of the bonus.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
I can't be sure my old AA plat was ever switched over to a WE - I'm still using the old Visa version of the card if that helps. I do see the offer for the 30k Plat in my "offers" section so it would seem I can re-app.

I found an offer on the booking screen that is 40k miles +100 statement credit that could be useful for me, but I can't determine if it's "safe" for me to apply and received bonus and credit.

Thoughts from the experts?
You can SM Citi to find out exactly what kind of a card it is now.
If you did not open or close any Platinum MC in the last 18 months you can use any 50K link from the Wiki
The same goes if your card was converted to WE or if it is still Visa.
Unless you have a good reason to keep your old card open it is best to close it as soon as you get approved for a new Platinum MC
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Thank You. i don't believe there was a followup confirmation of the bonus.
You need to read Carl's posts alone to see the time line of his posts in order to get the full picture. There are definitely follow up on that IIRC.

Go find Carl's posts from his profile and then read it in its correct sequence.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Data points...

My last application for a Citi AA W MC was in 2/2015.
That card got converted to WE MC sometime over this past summer.
I applied for a Citi Business W MC 30 days ago (that card is still a W MC).
Today I saw the Citi AA W MC listed in my Pre-approved/Other Cards You Might Be Interested in (OCYMBII). Applied for that using the link there in OCYMBII.
Upon completing the app, got the "Your application is pending further review, please call now for an immediate decision" screen.
Called in, gave app ID, no other questions (although a pretty lengthy hold as the agent reviewed my app - she said they were having system issues).
Was approved, but only for $1500 CL - a real surprise since Citi usually throws crazy big CLs at me.

For existing open Citi cards, I currently have 3 personal (total CL just $14K), and one (recent) Business (CL $20K).

I do have...(cough cough)...several...closed Citi cards, all closed at least 6 months ago, and before closing I had always knocked down my CL.

This is the first time Citi has offered my a CL below $20K.

I am speculating that the recent Biz card app (which got the usual $20K CL) had an impact (since it's so recent) on how much credit they were willing to extend. Either that, or I've just used up so many records in their internal database I've crossed some other limit.

In any case, I did not ask the agent about the bonus offer on the new card, I will look for that in the welcome letter and will report back on that.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Data points...

My last application for a Citi AA W MC was in 2/2015.
That card got converted to WE MC sometime over this past summer.
I applied for a Citi Business W MC 30 days ago (that card is still a W MC).
Today I saw the Citi AA W MC listed in my Pre-approved/Other Cards You Might Be Interested in (OCYMBII). Applied for that using the link there in OCYMBII.
Upon completing the app, got the "Your application is pending further review, please call now for an immediate decision" screen.
Called in, gave app ID, no other questions (although a pretty lengthy hold as the agent reviewed my app - she said they were having system issues).
Was approved, but only for $1500 CL - a real surprise since Citi usually throws crazy big CLs at me.

For existing open Citi cards, I currently have 3 personal (total CL just $14K), and one (recent) Business (CL $20K).

I do have...(cough cough)...several...closed Citi cards, all closed at least 6 months ago, and before closing I had always knocked down my CL.

This is the first time Citi has offered my a CL below $20K.

I am speculating that the recent Biz card app (which got the usual $20K CL) had an impact (since it's so recent) on how much credit they were willing to extend. Either that, or I've just used up so many records in their internal database I've crossed some other limit.

In any case, I did not ask the agent about the bonus offer on the new card, I will look for that in the welcome letter and will report back on that.
Haha. I feel the same way about the records in the database! It's definitely the business credit line. Your long ago closed cards are not in play here. This summer when I checked, the closed card's credit line took about 3 months to return to me (several $5k execs). I'd reduce your business card before applying for #3, and then you'll get back to the big $$ auto approval.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
My PLAT W card was converted to a WE card before I was able to make my spending limit. I have now just met my spending limit, and expect to get my 50K bonus at the end of the billing cycle (near Christmas). Should I wait to get my miles before applying for a new PLAT card? or does it matter?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
My PLAT W card was converted to a WE card before I was able to make my spending limit. I have now just met my spending limit, and expect to get my 50K bonus at the end of the billing cycle (near Christmas). Should I wait to get my miles before applying for a new PLAT card? or does it matter?
It should not matter
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:35 pm

wife rcvd a 60K offer with 3K spend, offer code is tied to last name, I tried my last name no luck. My wife credit score is 650-700 range, anyone know how much Citi need for apply go through?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

From what I've read, 650 is probably a no, while 700 gives her a chance. Has she been approved elsewhere recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.