Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
I don't see in the wiki any information about what this WE change means as I keep reading and seeing posts about W changing to WE etc.
I know it means World and World Elite but what difference does it make on the card benefits, usage etc?
Any help is appreciated.
I googled the info but how does this affect the 18 mos rule ?

Last edited by duranza; Oct 19, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by winsteven13
My mom, dad, and sister all received a Platinum WE conversion today. I had my 2nd platinum receive a WE conversion this past week as well!
What were the application, approval and closing/statement dates?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by ninim2200
that's weird, my mom(gold), wife(gold) and myself(platinum) got WE today as well!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
I don't see in the wiki any information about what this WE change means as I keep reading and seeing posts about W changing to WE etc.
I know it means World and World Elite but what difference does it make on the card benefits, usage etc?
Any help is appreciated.
I googled the info but how does this affect the 18 mos rule ?
The wiki is a little long and can be unclear at times. Below is the relevance section of the wiki. In short what it means: Members on this thread have found a loophole where if your card is converted from World to World Elite, and you apply for the same card again you can get the bonus offer without waiting for the 18 month period. Please please read the full wiki before applying for another card as there are some other limitations. World Elite does offer some benefits which you can read about on the Citi site, but the hype is about the loophole.

From Wiki:
If you receive a Platinum World MC which is later converted to a World Elite MC (as indicated on the back of the card), the opening of that card will no longer count for purposes of the 18-month rule. This is true not only for conversions in early 2015, but also for those in more recent months.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
all cards were approved between 8/1-8/14, statements 9/07, 9/10, 9/16 all cards are open.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:26 am

all cards were approved between 8/1-8/14, statements 9/07, 9/10, 9/16 all cards are open.
Looks like I may have a month to go.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
The wiki is a little long and can be unclear at times. Below is the relevance section of the wiki. In short what it means: Members on this thread have found a loophole where if your card is converted from World to World Elite, and you apply for the same card again you can get the bonus offer without waiting for the 18 month period. Please please read the full wiki before applying for another card as there are some other limitations. World Elite does offer some benefits which you can read about on the Citi site, but the hype is about the loophole.

From Wiki:
Thank you for the explanation, guess it will only apply to the recent Gold my husband got since we canceled all Citi AA cards when AF was due and that was done earlier this year.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:44 am

I'm a bit confused by the reference to "conversion" in the context of World to World Elite MC. I had a Platinum Select WE MC that I closed June 2015. As far as I recall, it was never "converted" from something to WE, but rather WE all along.

So, does this mean I can apply for a new World MC using one of the 50k bonus links inthe Wiki?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I'm a bit confused by the reference to "conversion" in the context of World to World Elite MC. I had a Platinum Select WE MC that I closed June 2015. As far as I recall, it was never "converted" from something to WE, but rather WE all along.

So, does this mean I can apply for a new World MC using one of the 50k bonus links inthe Wiki?
in your case i would say the odds are 50/50 of getting the bonus since you closed the card, in my experience we applied for a 2nd card when the 1st card was open and we got the bonus, when we applied for my wife after the card was closed she didn't get it, you can try it and all you lose if you don't get the bonus is a HP and 4 months of extra waiting for the next 18 months cycle.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:56 am

in your case i would say the odds are 50/50 of getting the bonus since you closed the card, in my experience we applied for a 2nd card when the 1st card was open and we got the bonus, when we applied for my wife after the card was closed she didn't get it, you can try it and all you lose if you don't get the bonus is a HP and 4 months of extra waiting for the next 18 months cycle.
Thanks. I might walk into a Citi branch and see if they're still offering the 50k bonus MC to Citigold customers. I think that might increase my chances.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:31 am

Thanks. I might walk into a Citi branch and see if they're still offering the 50k bonus MC to Citigold customers. I think that might increase my chances.
there is a link for the 50k bonus in the wiki.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please clarify - do you mean your wife's 1st card that was converted to WE when she closed it, precluded her from getting another bonus on the triple dip (the 3rd one) as that seems to contradict to a few posts upthread - there were folks who canceled the 1st card which was converted to WE, after they had the 2nd card which was also converted to WE, and they were then successfully triple-dipped. i.e. the 3rd one also got the bonus letter.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you 100% sure on that? AFAIK, Citi has never issued a World Elite AA card outright. Do you still have the original sleeve the card came with? On that it would tell you what card.

No need to. All you need is thoroughly read the Wiki and the info is there as per below.

there is a link for the 50k bonus in the wiki.
^
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure you recall correctly? The reason I ask is because we've never yet heard of anyone else being issued an AA Platinum Select World Elite MC initially. Everyone seems to get a World MC first. So you would be the first exception, but that begs the question of whether you were really the first exception or did you simply misremember?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Happy
Are you 100% sure on that? AFAIK, Citi has never issued a World Elite AA card outright. Do you still have the original sleeve the card came with? On that it would tell you what card.^
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure you recall correctly? The reason I ask is because we've never yet heard of anyone else being issued an AA Platinum Select World Elite MC initially. Everyone seems to get a World MC first. So you would be the first exception, but that begs the question of whether you were really the first exception or did you simply misremember?
If Long Islander is the first then I am the second to report getting issued a WE from the start. Looking at my Platinum Select MC which reads World Elite on the back. I applied for and received it in March of this year. I did not get a replacement card - this is the original card. I keep all my old cards since I started this hobby over 10 years ago and verified that I did not have another Platinum AA MC that was not World Elite in my collection of old cards.

Ironically I came back to this thread to read up on this very subject to do more reading on (non) conversions since I was beginning to have doubts for my case since the wiki and posts made it clear that folks recently applying are getting another bonus for holding a WE card (after it was converted). I extrapolated that to mean if you held a WE you are now good-to-go for another. Mistake on part I understand, which is what brought me back to re/read more posts in this thread. I am the Guinea pig on this experiment as I applied for and approved for another AA Platinum MC this past weekend. Will post update when I get the packet. Crossing fingers for good news - but not counting on it.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Oct 20, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.