Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by whoknew89
Really curious if you guys are having to move lines of credit between cards or if they're getting automatically approved. Do you reduce the credit limit on the current cards you have open because it seems like you'd hit the max credit citi will give you pretty quickly if not, but I could be wrong.
Usually each new card Citi will give like 15-20k CL and I'll reduce that down to $2-3k after reaching min spends. Leaves plenty of room to get auto-approved. On my long term cards I keep 5k and 10k in case I need to reallocate come credit.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
Usually each new card Citi will give like 15-20k CL and I'll reduce that down to $2-3k after reaching min spends. Leaves plenty of room to get auto-approved. On my long term cards I keep 5k and 10k in case I need to reallocate come credit.
Same here. Works great.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:45 am

Really curious if you guys are having to move lines of credit between cards or if they're getting automatically approved. Do you reduce the credit limit on the current cards you have open because it seems like you'd hit the max credit citi will give you pretty quickly if not, but I could be wrong.
As others mentioned I am in the process of doing that (just lowered my first WE conversion MC to 5k....when my 2nd gets converted I will lower as well...just to make room for auto approval as I await 65 days). I know what my Citi ceiling is and just want to make enough room available....assuming freed up CL is available within weeks of the request. Worst case will move CL around during approval process/chat. Will do the same for my wife's cards soon....in hopes of this World/World Elite loophole carries on for some time.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:01 pm

Hello,

I got the aadvantage card a couple of months ago when it came with the $100 statement credit on american airline purchases. Anyone had success on purchasing american airline gift cards from the site? I am using the SW companion pass and will not be doing much AA flying in the next year. I searched the wiki and the tread with the terms '$100 gift card,' but found no matches. TIA
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by gregoryfo
Hello,

I got the aadvantage card a couple of months ago when it came with the $100 statement credit on american airline purchases. Anyone had success on purchasing american airline gift cards from the site? I am using the SW companion pass and will not be doing much AA flying in the next year. I searched the wiki and the tread with the terms '$100 gift card,' but found no matches. TIA
I did for Plat Visa and Amex when they had that additional bonus of statement credit with 50k miles a few years ago...worked great----used 3 of them at one time for one of my daughters flights a year or 2 later.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jimbaum
In my case yes. I ask them to reduce it down to 6 or 7k from 22+k usually. Recently with the Plats it has been easy since I haven't been getting auto approved, but OTOH, get approved shortly thereafter during chat. I utilize the chat sessions to request the lower CL.
Approved via chat? Are you logging into your existing city account and starting a chat session for a new card? After lowing the CL how often do you wait until you apply?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Approved via chat? Are you logging into your existing city account and starting a chat session for a new card? After lowing the CL how often do you wait until you apply?
To clarify a bit:
I apply via link 4c in Incognito, then it does not auto-approve me, but provides an app number; AND, there is usually a link for chat on the final screen of the app process. There is where I chat, provide info, get approved, and lower CL.

I've also started up chat while logged into my account. Just have your app ID ready. It works either way if not auto-approved and don't want to call in (especially useful if you are applying on behalf of others )
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow
As others mentioned I am in the process of doing that (just lowered my first WE conversion MC to 5k....when my 2nd gets converted I will lower as well...just to make room for auto approval as I await 65 days). I know what my Citi ceiling is and just want to make enough room available....assuming freed up CL is available within weeks of the request. Worst case will move CL around during approval process/chat. Will do the same for my wife's cards soon....in hopes of this World/World Elite loophole carries on for some time.
do yall know roughly what percentage of income does CITI use for your max credit line across all cards?

Im planning on applying for the prestige or the world exec soon so Id like some bearing ( and possibly reduce my plat limit to make room) before applying.

any data points would be helpful
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
do yall know roughly what percentage of income does CITI use for your max credit line across all cards?

Im planning on applying for the prestige or the world exec soon so Id like some bearing ( and possibly reduce my plat limit to make room) before applying.

Mine is approx 35% of reported HHI, Wife's about the same. So total our credit limits with Citi are approx 70% of our income. Total CLs across all card issuers is 400% of our income. Will work perfectly when I decide to buy Amex GCs and fund various Citigold accounts with my CCs, withdraw the cash, and run to Croatia.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus

for me alone it is 35% of gross. My stay at home wife with her Citi CL makes our total household 64% of gross
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
Mine is approx 35% of reported HHI, Wife's about the same. So total our credit limits with Citi are approx 70% of our income. Total CLs across all card issuers is 400% of our income. Will work perfectly when I decide to buy Amex GCs and fund various Citigold accounts with my CCs, withdraw the cash, and run to Croatia.
Originally Posted by epaairnow
for me alone it is 35% of gross. My stay at home wife with her Citi CL makes our total household 64% of gross
Thanks guys, Im at 10% of reported income so I guess I can manage the 5k min on the prestige.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:16 pm
umc

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Valuable feedback Ed.

I applied for my daughter for her 1st Citi card (after approvals with multiple other ones , chase, barclay, discover, amex etc) and they requested it. Because of thinness of her credit history I decided to not waste another HP (sending in the form generates a 2nd HP!).

I think we'll try again for her once a few months have passed with some of the new credit lines showing up.
I sent in my 4506-T form and did not get another hard inquiry. I monitor my inquiry closely. It took almost a month for them to approve my app, but it's worth it for me.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
So I got a retention offer for my AAdvantage personal card and just completed the 1st month's $1,000 spending to trigger the bonus 1k miles. And it seems like it's stacking from last year's identical retention offer. So now when I spend 1k in a month I get 2k bonus points plus the 1k points for spend.
This might be the next loophole to exploit. Maybe next year 3x for you? Anyone have this stacked retention offer?

Last edited by IAD_flyer; Oct 4, 2015 at 11:17 pm Reason: . to ?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:06 am

How long after lowering CL does it take for that to go back into the "pool" for instant approvals?

Also, can you lower CL by secure message?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by savedbyhim01
How long after lowering CL does it take for that to go back into the "pool" for instant approvals?
In my experience, a week or less.

Also, can you lower CL by secure message?
From the wiki:
You can call/SM to reduce credit lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.