Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, with Flying Blue you can extend the miles expiration, but only by crediting a SkyTeam flight (such as a Delta flight within the US) to Flying Blue at least once every 20 months. If you don't do enough paid flights that you could to on Delta to do that, then yes it probably doesn't make sense for you to "park" miles there.

But that's the issue with most TYP partners (many have expiration you can't reset even by flying that one particular airline! ). Avianca which is in the Star Alliance program has one-year expiration which can be reset by various on-the-ground activities. JetBlue and Virgin Atlantic also have deferrable expiration, but they're not part of any of the 3 major alliances.
I don't think JetBlue points ever expire - at least that's what JetBlue says. And Flying Blue has extended the 20 months to 24 months, so you have a little more time to take that Delta flight.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I initiated a transfer to CX Asia Miles on the evening of August 20 and it still hasn't shown up in my Asia Miles account (August 24). I also initiated a MR transfer right after the TYP one, and that credited 2 days later on August 22. Do transfers also take place over the weekend? I don't know whether I should call into Citi or just wait it out.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
A transfer to Qantas took 1 day.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:55 am

Today, I tried to transfer my thankyou point to Eva airlne. I have about 70000 earned from prestige credit card, 30000 earned from checking monthly reward.
When I tried to transfer 100k, it throws me error. It seems only point earned by prestige card are eligible for transfer, not from checking account.
I think few people successfully transfer checking point in the past. What is your experience lately?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by saintbiz
.... only point earned by prestige card are eligible for transfer, not from checking account.....
Correct. Points earn through banking are called "taxable" points and they cannot be Transferred or Shared.

https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyo...nd&src=TYUSENG

Taxes The monetary value of a Reward for which you redeem your Points may be considered taxable income from Citibank in the tax year in which you redeem the Points, in accordance with U.S. tax law. Citibank may be required to send you (and file with the IRS) a Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income) for the year in which you redeem your Points for a Reward when the value of the Reward plus other taxable Miscellaneous Income you receive from Citibank totals $600 or more for a calendar year. We determine the monetary value of Rewards received through your Points redemptions for tax purposes. The value of Rewards received by redeeming certain Points, such as Points received through your Citibank Checking Account and related bonus promotions, is taxable income. The value of Rewards received by redeeming certain other Points, such as Points earned on purchases made with a Card Account, is not taxable income. You're responsible for any personal tax liability due to the receipt of a Reward due to your Point redemption – consult with your tax advisor.
The restriction on transferring Taxable points is mentioned in the FAQ for the Points Transfer feature:
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:01 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea about this rule!

How are the points withdrawn when you're redeeming? Is it FIFO? For example if I had 60k cc points and 30k checking account points, and I'd like to use 30k points on a hotel redemption through the Thankyou portal (since it can't be transferred), is there any way for me to specify using points from checking earning?

Originally Posted by mia
Correct. Points earn through banking are called "taxable" points and they cannot be Transferred or Shared.

https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyou/tc.page?cmp=nav&lid=footer ty-term-cond&src=TYUSENG

The restriction on transferring Taxable points is mentioned in the FAQ for the Points Transfer feature:
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by nomii
If I'm interested in premier travel (F or J) redemptions and have already tried SQ which TYPartner would be the best sweet spot/value?

Basically, besides SQ suites, are TYPartners good for any other first/business class redemptions with good value? Etihad recently devalued massively so that's no good.
Has anyone played around with some of the more exotic transfer partners for sweet spots at all? Like Garuda, EVA, MH, Thai, etc.? From casual memory, I've always heard that Thai had some pretty bad values, Malaysia was recently devalued I believe, Qatar was definitely devalued heavily, but Turkish DOES have some known sweet spots. Onemileatatime.com actually has an article on the Turkish ones.

Just curious if anyone else has any commentary regarding this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does Citi send you a 1099 each year on the alleged value of their points earned through banking? Has anyone here contested that value on their tax returns?

It's next to impossible to compute the value of the award itself in any kind of capacity-controlled program. In a straight-rebate program like Southwest (which I realize is moot here) it's easier to compute.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by pinniped
Does Citi send you a 1099 each year on the alleged value of their points earned through banking? .....
Points earned through banking are not eligible for transfer to airlines.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Points earned through banking are not eligible for transfer to airlines.
So you have to redeem them for a flight award through the portal, and then they 1099 you on that? (I guess that would make sense...)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:46 am
mia

Originally Posted by pinniped
So you have to redeem them for a flight award through the portal, and then they 1099 you on that? (I guess that would make sense...)
Not necessarily for a flight, could be a hotel stay, or a gift card, or whatever else they offer, but it will be a redemption where Citi can see a monetary value.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by helvetic
My friends reports instant transfers to CX, but it seems the consensus here is around 24h?
Definitely not an instant transfer tonight.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:07 pm

Miles showed up out of nowhere

On Friday, I have transferred my Citi TYP to Turkish Airlines for an upgrade. I completed the upgrade yesterday, and my TK account had only 7 miles remaining. My citi account had 7000. This morning, I woke up, checked my TK account, and I saw 62k miles. Citi is still 7K. My upgrade is still valid, I have just chosen my seats. Did this happen to anybody?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:11 pm
mia

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
.... transferred my Citi TYP to Turkish Airlines for an upgrade.....
Why do you think this event is related to your transfer from Citi?

How many points did you transfer from Citi to TK? How many miles did you redeem for the upgrade?

Usually there is an entry made when an airline adds miles to an account. What does it say?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:45 pm

I had 28k in my account. Transferred 62k from Citi, and redeemed 90k (upgrade from V to J), leaving me with only 7 miles. Today, I have 62k in my account again. The new amount I have is exactly the same with the amount that I transferred from Citi. My TK miles statement shows two transfer from Citi.

Last edited by max_kolesne; Dec 9, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.