Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:23 am

Citi Thank You Points (TYP) points transfers offline

It seems that Citi transfers are not currently working. I just logged in to transfer to SQ and no option is available other than Hilton. I called in and spoke to a supervisor and they said that all travel transfers are offline. There is no ETA.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mike814
It seems that Citi transfers are not currently working. I just logged in to transfer to SQ and no option is available other than Hilton. I called in and spoke to a supervisor and they said that all travel transfers are offline. There is no ETA.
I had the same experience. I went in to transfer miles and only hilton showed up. Rep I spoke to said they are trying to get this back up over the next few days. Super disappointing.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:50 pm

The site is all screwed up. If you try to book a flight, it only shows you JetBlue.

Originally Posted by Charbito
I had the same experience. I went in to transfer miles and only hilton showed up. Rep I spoke to said they are trying to get this back up over the next few days. Super disappointing.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:11 pm

I couldn't get a timeline out of rep on phone or Twitter. Not only that, any points they give you for inconvenience can't be transferred to partners.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by mike814
I couldn't get a timeline out of rep on phone or Twitter. Not only that, any points they give you for inconvenience can't be transferred to partners.
Point transfers are back up. I was able to transfer points to asia miles.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:39 am

Point transfers are back up. I was able to transfer points to asia miles.
Just did mine as well to SQ, hopefully it shows up in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I suspect I know why they pulled down point transfers. I went to do a transfer to SQ on Thursday night, and the KrisFlyer number they had on file for me didn't look right. I went and checked, and it was, in fact, wrong. (I've only ever transferred to my account, and that was a small test transfer to see how long it took.) I changed it to my number and the transfer went through. Just logged in, and the 65K I transferred have posted along with another 50K labelled as "Citibank Credit Card Transferred to KrisFlyer". I did not make that transfer, so I suspect some buggy code passed my KrisFlyer number along to a later customer who blindly hit transfer and didn't check his/her number before doing so.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
...I did not make that transfer, so I suspect some buggy code passed my KrisFlyer number along to a later customer who blindly hit transfer and didn't check his/her number before doing so.
Reported as early as post 306 in late January. It makes sense to take down the self service transfers site to fix this. It doesn't make sense to bring it back up before it has been verified to work correctly, nor does it make sense that Citi's agents could not make transfers for us by phone if this is the only issue.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mia
Reported as early as post 306 in late January. It makes sense to take down the self service transfers site to fix this. It doesn't make sense to bring it back up before it has been verified to work correctly, nor does it make sense that Citi's agents could not make transfers for us by phone if this is the only issue.
Ah, I hadn't gone back a page to see that it was previously reported. I guess now the question is if I should anticipate them figuring out the error and clawing back the miles. After my transfer, I was 6K short for the award I'll be booking in the next couple of weeks. I now have more than enough, but if they grab the error miles back with particularly bad timing, I might have issues as I wait 12+ hours for the additional miles to transfer in. I would rather not lock up 6K transferrable points as expiring SQ miles as an insurance policy.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Any rumors of thank you points being transferable to AA miles after the AA award chart devaluation in March?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Real time transfer to VS Flying Club

Just transferred TY Points to VS Flying Club today, and the transfer was processed in real time - Great Job Citi in updating TYP to support real time transfer!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: American Airlines
VS 25% transfer bonus

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
Just transferred TY Points to VS Flying Club today, and the transfer was processed in real time - Great Job Citi in updating TYP to support real time transfer!
I hope you took advantage of the 25% transfer bonus going on until 04/06/2016.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: American Airlines
Smile TYP to AA miles

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Any rumors of thank you points being transferable to AA miles after the AA award chart devaluation in March?
I so hope that AA will "give in" and allow this. I am puzzled as to why it has not already happened as Chase and AMEX program points both are transferable into their partners. If AA is "declining" the transfer in order to maintain a "flexible" Advantage program, then I commend them. Though with the upcoming devaluations, some will say that the program is no longer valuable or flexible.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Another data point. I transferred points to AF Flying Blue around 11pm EST on Wed, March 2nd. Checked account around 6am on Thur, March 3rd, and the transfer already completed with Flying Blue account showing March 2nd as activity date.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by dmitri
Another data point. I transferred points to AF Flying Blue around 11pm EST on Wed, March 2nd. Checked account around 6am on Thur, March 3rd, and the transfer already completed with Flying Blue account showing March 2nd as activity date.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ts-air-france/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.