Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need some clarification

Ok, my head is swimming a bit, as until talking to a Citi CSR today I'd assumed that Citi TY points, like somewhat similar offerings from Chase, Amex, etc., would not expire after a given cc was closed as long as the points were transferred into an appropriate, active cc account. Thanks to perusing the very useful posts here, I think I understand the rules somewhat. But could someone please verify?

Here's the situation: My wife has both a Citi Prestige MC and a Citi Premier Visa. With the annual renewal and fee coming up for the Prestige MC, she'd like to cancel it and transfer (or I guess the term Citi uses is "share") the points from that account into the Premier Visa account. Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in understanding that she can do the transfer, but that the Prestige TY points will expire 90 days after doing so unless she then transfers them to an airline or hotel account, uses them to purchase airline tix directly, or employs some other use of the points?
2. The original Premier Visa points will remain valid for airline/hotel transfers, etc., as long as she maintains the card and uses it at least every 12 months?
3. If that 12 month rule applies, does paying the renewal fee for the Premier Visa card count as using it?

Thanks for any clarification with any of this.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Ok, my head is swimming a bit, as until talking to a Citi CSR today I'd assumed that Citi TY points, like somewhat similar offerings from Chase, Amex, etc., would not expire after a given cc was closed as long as the points were transferred into an appropriate, active cc account. Thanks to perusing the very useful posts here, I think I understand the rules somewhat. But could someone please verify?

Here's the situation: My wife has both a Citi Prestige MC and a Citi Premier Visa. With the annual renewal and fee coming up for the Prestige MC, she'd like to cancel it and transfer (or I guess the term Citi uses is "share") the points from that account into the Premier Visa account. Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in understanding that she can do the transfer, but that the Prestige TY points will expire 90 days after doing so unless she then transfers them to an airline or hotel account, uses them to purchase airline tix directly, or employs some other use of the points?
2. The original Premier Visa points will remain valid for airline/hotel transfers, etc., as long as she maintains the card and uses it at least every 12 months?
3. If that 12 month rule applies, does paying the renewal fee for the Premier Visa card count as using it?

Thanks for any clarification with any of this.
1. Yes, but it's actually 60 days (not 90). TY points are associated with their respective sponsoring accounts (i.e. the credit card accounts that earn them). If you cancel the Prestige, points earned by the Prestige card will go into a 60-day grace period, after which the points will be gone forever. So, it's use-them-or-lose-them within this 60-day period after canceling the card.

One thing you may try is to ask Citi to do a product conversion within the same Thank You product family. For example, changing the Prestige into the no-fee Preferred card, or the $95 Premier card. Product conversion retains the original account number, and the account is kept open (i.e. not considered closed).

I personally converted my Premier to the Preferred because the annual fee has just posted. I confirmed with multiple Citi representatives that my account number will stay the same, and that my TY points will not expire (nor go into the 60-day grace period).

Good luck! ^
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nesnith
1. Yes, but it's actually 60 days (not 90). TY points are associated with their respective sponsoring accounts (i.e. the credit card accounts that earn them). If you cancel the Prestige, points earned by the Prestige card will go into a 60-day grace period, after which the points will be gone forever. So, it's use-them-or-lose-them within this 60-day period after canceling the card.

One thing you may try is to ask Citi to do a product conversion within the same Thank You product family. For example, changing the Prestige into the no-fee Preferred card, or the $95 Premier card. Product conversion retains the original account number, and the account is kept open (i.e. not considered closed).

I personally converted my Premier to the Preferred because the annual fee has just posted. I confirmed with multiple Citi representatives that my account number will stay the same, and that my TY points will not expire (nor go into the 60-day grace period).

Good luck! ^
Thanks very much!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the following also correct:

1. My wife can transfer her TY points into my TY account (though with the same expiration period).
2. Downgrading to a Preferred card means that it is no longer possible to transfer TY points into hotel points/airline miles.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Moving points from your wife;s TY account to your TY account is called Sharing (not Transferring). You would have 90 days to use the Shared points.

If she closes her card account without moving the points she then has 60 days to redeem them, but Transferring and Sharing will not be available.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
Moving points from your wife;s TY account to your TY account is called Sharing (not Transferring). You would have 90 days to use the Shared points.

If she closes her card account without moving the points she then has 60 days to redeem them, but Transferring and Sharing will not be available.
True, except when it isn't.

DW canceled her card, shared her points with me weeks after canceling, and I had 90 more days to transfer them. Then she shared her points with me from the other card before canceling it, and I again had 90 day to transfer.

YMMV...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
True, except when it isn't.....
Yes, Citi may make an exception/error in the customer's favor, but if they don't we have to rely on the published terms.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much for this information, folks. I appreciate it.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nesnith

Good luck! ^
Given the known (un)reliability of what phone agents tell you, I have to ask: Was this non-expiration answer correct, or is it too soon for you to tell?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Given the known (un)reliability of what phone agents tell you, I have to ask: Was this non-expiration answer correct, or is it too soon for you to tell?
That is certainly a possibility. Before I did the product conversion, I called in 3 times on different dates, and spoke with 3 different agents. Their answers were the same: my account number, and credit line will remain the same, and my points will not expire after a product conversion from Premier to Preferred.

So far, everything appears to be correct within my account. My account number remains the same, even though it now says Preferred instead of Premier. My credit line also remains the same. Within the Thank You portal, my Points Summary does not indicate any of my points will be expiring.

Given that the 3 agents I spoke with gave me the same answer, the probability of them all giving the incorrect info seems to be low. So, I took the step to convert from the Premier to the Preferred.

I will certainly keep you all updated if the situation changes somehow. But, as of now, product change from a Premier to a Preferred doesn't make the Thank You points expire.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
Ok, my head is swimming with all this. My wife has one card a Premier. She would like to "share" those points to me as I own both a Premier and a Prestige. As I understand it, if we want to get max value from her points, she could share them with me and then downgrade or close her account. I am gathering those shared points can be used for full value out of my account within 90 days. If instead she were to downgrade her account, those points would be limited correct and might not be able to transfer for full value? If she cancelled, they could not be transferred at all?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:26 pm

Called about downgrading my Premier and they said it would change to MC so my number would change. This prompted me to think about just cashing out the 55k TY points rather than risk them expiring.

An easy way is to just prepay ATT and then use "select and credit" to pay with points - gets 1c value.

Another option I just noticed is to transfer to JetBlue and just park the points. I believe JetBlue points never expire, are worth about 1.5c against ticket prices and there's currently a TY promo to transfer at 1:1.2 ratio. That makes the cash out 1.8c.

Anyone else think this way, or have an even better plan? The intl options are only good if you are pretty sure you will use the points in time.

Last edited by libralibra; Mar 11, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:29 am

wow, I just read through all 450+ post, and kinda regret signing up for the TYP program, and definitely won't recommend it to a friend. UR and MR is definitely more flexible. Thanks for everyone for providing unbiased advice to all the questions. I really learned a lot.

My wife and I both have Premier and Prestige cards, with AFs coming up. We have roughly 100k each. We fly out of SFO and plan to visit Asia or Europe w/ the family in 1-2 years. so Singapore seems like the best spot for us to "park" our points for the next three years, but with impeding devaluation on March 23rd, I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

I may consider downgrading the cards to maintain account history, so it doesn't impact the Avg age of accounts. I WAS planing to keep one Prestige card with the combined points, but not if my wife's points expire in 60/90 days. And since we both have the Sapphire Reserved, having another high end card doesn't make sense.

Last edited by EatMoreChicken; Mar 11, 2017 at 9:07 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EatMoreChicken
We fly out of SFO and plan to visit Asia or Europe w/ the family in 1-2 years. so Singapore seems like the best spot for us to "park" our points for the next three years, but with impeding devaluation on March 23rd, I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated.
And there-in's the issue: Signapore airlines miles expire after 3 years, and there's nothing reasonable you can to do extend that expiration. So if you're not sure that Signapore will work for you on a lfight you're planning for 1-2 years from now, that sounds like a pretty risky place to "park" your points.

Unfortunately, that's the case with most of TYP's overseas airline partners.

Compare the list at the TYP partners wiki:
to the list at the miles/points expiration wiki:
(In each case, you have to "Click to display full Wiki" to actually see the list, after clicking the link. Btw, you have to be on the full FT site, not the mobile site, to be able to see FT wikiposts.)
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:45 am

wow, I just read through all 450+ post, and kinda regret signing up for the TYP program, and definitely won't recommend it to a friend. UR and MR is definitely more flexible. Thanks for everyone for providing unbiased advice to all the questions. I really learned a lot.

My wife and I both have Premier and Prestige cards, with AFs coming up. We have roughly 100k each. We fly out of SFO and plan to visit Asia or Europe w/ the family in 1-2 years. so Singapore seems like the best spot for us to "park" our points for the next three years, but with impeding devaluation on March 23rd, I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

I may consider downgrading the cards to maintain account history, so it doesn't impact the Avg age of accounts. I WAS planing to keep one Prestige card with the combined points, but not if my wife's points expire in 60/90 days. And since we both have the Sapphire Reserved, having another high end card doesn't make sense.
Perhaps try doing a product change to the Thank You Preferred for both cards, which will keep both TY accounts and points active (i.e. preventing them from expiring).

Sit on the points until you are ready to plan your travel, then up-convert back to either the Premier or Prestige to regain the ability to transfer to travel partners (after paying either the $95 or $450 annual fee when you up-convert).

You gain the flexibility; the annual fee seems like a small price to pay when compared to being locked down to Singapore if you transfer the points there.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton

Good choice.

I've been doing this for a while and the Citi program changed for me last summer. So I moved on to Chase and Amex from Citi and Amex. My wife's Premier card was down graded last fall and mine will be down graded in 2 weeks when fee hits to a preferred. I've used most of my TYP's but maybe I'll buy a TYP ticket before down grading?

Last edited by jjmiller69; Mar 11, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.