Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To be eligible for this benefit, the enrolled Card Account must be open and current at the time of statement credit fulfillment.
I read this to mean that your account must still be open for the statement credit to post.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Absolutely not. She just canceled the card outright.

This was just before the new rule that all TYPs cards fall under the 24 months, so we gave no thought to downgrading. I guess we didn't understand the published rules, as we thought she could either "share" or transfer (to either of our FF accounts) for the next 60 days.

Perhaps we just got lucky, as both the CSR doing the sharing to my account, and the email Citi sent me about receiving the shared points, clearly stated that I had 90 days to transfer the points. And the expiration clock on my TYPs page said "no points due to expire in 60 days". We never found out for sure about that, as I found a pair of FC SQ Suites awards, and I transferred to SQ a couple of days later, lest the award space get taken by someone else.
Will this saga never end?

Got an email today from "Citi Thank You Rewards". It correctly says that after recently redeeming 41,000 points, I have 144,770 points remaining in my Prestige account. But it goes on to say:

"Hi Robert, you have 40,250 Thank You Points expiring on Dec 31, 2016."

It says this is for the TYP account associated with my Prestige card. So I called the TYP department and the CSR said "yes, TYPs expire 3 years after you earn them."

This is the first I've heard of that, so I checked the wiki for the Prestige, the Premier, and the general TYPs thread, and there is vague language in the last one that some types of cards are subject to expiration. But does not says that applies to the Prestige.

I then checked the Citi T/C page and it only says "check the benefits listed" on the welcome letter you received with your card. That is in a box somewhere in the garage and I'm in no mood to go hunting for it.

Even more peculiar, I've only had this card for 18 months, so the 3 years wouldn't apply anyway.

So I told the CSR that, and he checked again, and said "I don't see that you have any miles expiring, apparently the email was incorrect, don't worry about it." Easy for him to say, it's not his miles that may disappear due to a computer error. I asked him to send me an email confirming that the miles won't expire, and he said he didn't have the capability to send emails.

Despite the wiki saying there should be a message on my cards TYP page either saying when I have miles expiring, or that I don't have miles expiring, there is no mention of that on that page at this point. Apparently if you don't have miles set to expire, it doesn't mention that at all.

Finally it dawned on me that this is about the points that DW "shared" with me a couple of months ago. That several people said would expire within 60 of her having closed her Premier. Instead Citi is still warning me that I have only the 90 days from the transfer date to use them.

I'm just concerned that Citi might not correctly register that the points that DW shared with me were the ones I transferred to SQ a few days later.

So now I have to call/sm again tomorrow to make sure they did it all correctly.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:24 pm

I just got the AF for my Premier card and have 60k+ points. What's the best program to transfer to? Or, if I transfer to my existing Prestige card I'll have 60 days to transfer to partners just like before the transfer?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
It's so frustrating that they bait and switched with the Prestige. I was planning to develop a large amount of points for an AA family trip to Europe, but with the massive devalue and reduced points, I'd love to get some decent value from these points since it's no longer worth the AF for me. If they reduced the fee commensurate with the reduced feature set.

I'm having trouble figuring what to do with the points. If I could reduce the AF and wait to redeem, that would be fine.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by schalliol
...If they reduced the fee commensurate with the reduced feature set.
Downgrade to Premier. It has no effect on the redemption value of points after mid-2017 -and- it is a better card for earning points because of the broad 3X Travel category.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Are you sure I wouldn't lose the points I have? That's probably a good call if not.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:24 am

citi premier

i am wondering which way to go when i cancel out my premier credit card next week. To combine them in with my citi preffered account or can i transfer them to a hotel or airline?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:34 am

cancel = clock starts ticking on expiration of points. doesn't matter if you combine with another account.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun
cancel = clock starts ticking on expiration of points. doesn't matter if you combine with another account.
Some real confusion (I think on Citi's part rather than ours) as to how this works. AFAIK, if you combine points with a different account, you have 90 to transfer them to a hotel/airline. But if you cancel the card first, the points are supposed to expire in only 60 days. That's not how it worked for me, DW canceled the card first, then 'shared' the points with me, and Citi is still telling me 90 days. So YMMV....but I think the best bet is to move the points to another of your TYPs accounts, or your SOs TYPs accounts, just before you cancel the card. Then check and see how long Citi is giving you before they expire.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

If I transfer points from Premier to Prestige to book an AA flight with points, will the newly transferred points be used first before Prestige points?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
If I transfer points from Premier to Prestige to book an AA flight with points, will the newly transferred points be used first before Prestige points?
Yes, at least that's what happened when I moved points from Preferred to Premier.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:22 pm

Expiring points

Hi there - I don't have to book travel right now and would rather renew my points so they don't expire (10k out of the 20k I have are expiring Dec 31). Is there a card I can sign up for that will extend my points (don't want a big annual fee card)

Thx
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:24 am
mia

There is nothing that can be done to prevent points from expiring as scheduled. You need to redeem them.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Yes, at least that's what happened when I moved points from Preferred to Premier.
Perfect, thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:15 pm

2 QUESTIONS: My citi prestige AF is due but have some points and I want to cancel, i already have no fee TY cards, If I cancel, will my TY points be worth less for flight redemption?

What happens to my TY points?

Or

Maybe I should ask this way:

After this card is canceled, the points are no longer as valuable as they are when the card was active? Like 33% more when used for AA flights?

Can I move the points to my no fee TY preferred card? Even if yes, I can't transfer to airlines or no longer valuable?

Thanks

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Nov 9, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.