Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:19 pm

Rather than burning my prestige points before changing the card would this work:

Downgrade to Citi preferred. Would this keep the TYP alive and. It have a 60d clock kick in?

I have a ty premier card so I'm assuming the ex prestige points and now premier ones can still be redeemed at 1.25c and are fully transferable.

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Rather than burning my prestige points before changing the card would this work:

Downgrade to Citi preferred. Would this keep the TYP alive and. It have a 60d clock kick in?

I have a ty premier card so I'm assuming the ex prestige points and now premier ones can still be redeemed at 1.25c and are fully transferable.

Thanks
We have one (1) data point, never followed up on months later AFAIK, which suggests that downgraded Prestige to Preferred may keep the points alive "forever". That person did not have a Premier, so your plan has not been fully tested AFAIK, but sounds promising.

Please do report back whatever you do. Thanks. (We have a lot people asking questions like this about downgrades to Preferred, but precious little data about what happened if anyone acted on it. It obviously requires followup months later to be truly useful. Thanks.)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:26 pm

In regards to Sharing TYPs from my TY account to my wife's TY account (and she has Premier)...

In the wiki it says that "you may not share points that are expiring in under 90 days". This implies that if I cancel my Prestige (which starts the 60 day expiration policy in motion), that AFTER I cancel I am NOT able to Share my TYPs to my wife's TYPs account. Is this how others are interpreting this/are there data points on this?

I (maybe mistakenly) assumed I could "game" Citi, by waiting 59 days after I cancel my Prestige, then Share my TYPs with my wife, which would then give me 90 days before they expire. In essence getting 149 days in which I have the ability to transfer my Prestige TYPs to airline partners. Am I wrong?

Also, even if I am wrong about the above "gaming", do I still have the ability to Share my TYPs with my wife with the understanding that they would still expire within 60 days after I cancelled my Prestige? As stated above, my interpretation of the wiki would mean the answer to this is 'no'.

Data point: I downgraded my Premier to a Preferred in Aug 2016 and I still have those points (they didn't expire). At the time I assumed that this was how it worked, so I didn't keep track of whether my credit card # or my TYP account # changed during the downgrade process (however, my guess is the TYP account # did not change b/c at the time of Premier->Preferred downgrade my Premier TYP account was currently "combined" with my Prestige TYP account....and, after the downgrade, I did NOT have to "re-combine" the TYP accounts after the downgrade which I think would be the case if the [former] Premier TYP account # had changed).

Last edited by MilesGator; Jan 27, 2017 at 12:30 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:28 pm

By the way, if anyone new to TYPs is reading this, for the love of god keep your TYPs accounts separate. You literally gain nothing by combining (except for headaches).

Data point: I was able to downgrade my Prestige to a Dividend. Probably already known, but Hurray 5% back at CVS!

Last edited by mia; Jan 30, 2017 at 2:39 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
By the way, if anyone new to TYPs is reading this, for the love of god keep your TYPs accounts separate. You literally gain nothing by combining (except for headaches).
+1. There is no advantage to combining and it will make things very tricky when it comes time to figure out which points are expiring when.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
+1. There is no advantage to combining and it will make things very tricky when it comes time to figure out which points are expiring when.
I was under the impression that you must combine citigold TYP with card based TYP in order to use the citigold points at the higher rate.

I do agree regarding keeping credit card typ separate. I combined mine and it's a pain tracking which ones are from where. I do plan on shutting down all my TYP cards once I've burned thru the points and once I've cashed out my 10k TYP Prestige retention.

As far as cancelations and downgrades the Af refund rules (per my recent call) are the same for prestige and premier:
Full refund within 37d of AF posting after which the AF is prorated. So for some of us it maybe worth keeping the card a month of two after the 37d mark in order to get the retention offer cashed out and/or maintain the 1.6c/1.33c redemption value for the points.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:18 pm

I have no idea about the CG TY points, I never earned any when I had a CG account.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I was under the impression that you must combine citigold TYP with card based TYP in order to use the citigold points at the higher rate.
I think what Superorb said about "not combining" before may have been shorthand. I think what may have been meant is "don't combine until you're ready to use or transfer". Ie, that there's no benefit to combining TYP from multiple "sponsor" accounts ahead of time.

Obviously, if you are about to use or transfer points, and you can't to do that without combining them, then at that point it may make sense to combine them. Just not earlier.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think what Superorb said about "not combining" before may have been shorthand. I think what may have been meant is "don't combine until you're ready to use or transfer". Ie, that there's no benefit to combining TYP from multiple "sponsor" accounts ahead of time.

Obviously, if you are about to use or transfer points, and you can't to do that without combining them, then at that point it may make sense to combine them. Just not earlier.
Yes, thanks for clarifying what I intended.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:36 pm

Is the following correct?

If I downgrade a Prestige to a Preferred (i.e. no AF), my TY balance moves over and does not expire. But it cannot be transferred to other mileage programs, and can only be redeemed directly for travel. And each point is worth 1c on American (rather than the 1.6c with the Prestige). And each point can be redeemed for 0.75c.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by williamsmj

If I downgrade a Prestige to a Preferred (i.e. no AF), my TY balance moves over and does not expire. But it cannot be transferred to other mileage programs, and can only be redeemed directly for travel. And each point is worth 1c on American (rather than the 1.6c with the Prestige). And each point can be redeemed for 0.75c.
I believe you are correct on the 1ppc for airfare, and that would apply equally to any airline. With a Premier, each point would be worth 1.25 "when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou® Travel Center".

Without being signed on, I can see TYP redemptions for non-airline gift cards (like, iTunes) offered at 1 ppc; and redemptions for merchandise as well. So that would appear to apply regardless of the TYP card(s) you hold.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:58 pm

So I now think it is possible to "game" Citi (see earlier Post 468)

I cancelled my Prestige (actually converted to Dividend) on 1/26. On 1/28 I was able to Share these points with my wife's account. The points are now in her account with an expiration date of 4/30. This is 91 days after they were Shared, and 93 days after my Prestige was closed.

In the wiki it states that points that are due to expire within 90 days cannot be Shared (this implies that points that are due to expire in 60 days due to a cancellation cannot be Shared after the card is cancelled and the expiration policy has kicked in).

Based on my experience, I think it's possible to wait 59 days prior to Sharing and then once they are Shared they then have a 90 day expiration period. That would give 149 days from the day of Prestige cancellation to when those points have to be used. In my case, my wife has a Premier so we'll retain the ability to transfer to airline partners un 4/30.

More DPs.

I had 47k TYPs in my account at the time I downgraded Prestige to Dividend. I was allowed to Share all the points. But I was not allowed to Transfer 2.5k (out of the 47k total) to Hilton. It's possible these points originated from a Citigold checking account bonus, which would explain why they can't be transferred to a travel partner. I did earn 30k TYPs around the same time as when I opened the Prestige, and b/c I combined all my accounts, I'm not sure which points were used first when I made Citi Travel Center redemptions (which is all I've used the TYPs for).

Last edited by mia; Jan 30, 2017 at 2:39 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by williamsmj

you are correct re not expiring if you downgrade. I am not familiar with the redemption value of preferred but i your old prestige points will be redeemable for whatever preferred value ramains
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Downgrading Citi Prem to Preferred to save TYP from expiring?

I want to close my Citi Premier. However, I do not want to lose the points attached, earned through the Prem. Ofcourse, I could transfer those out or use them, within 60d of closing but so far I don't have use for so many points.

Question: Will downgrading the TY Premier to TY preferred save those points from getting on the 60d expiration clock?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45
I want to close my Citi Premier. However, I do not want to lose the points attached, earned through the Prem. Ofcourse, I could transfer those out or use them, within 60d of closing but so far I don't have use for so many points.

Question: Will downgrading the TY Premier to TY preferred save those points from getting on the 60d expiration clock?
I believe we have one data point so far that says that (IIRC) doing a downgrade from Prestige to Preferred kept the points from expiring. We would assume Premier to Preferred works the same, but I don't think we have any data points so far.

Of course, while it's a Preferred, you can't transfer to partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.