Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:48 pm

My ATT Access More annual fee just hit in September, and my TY Premier card hits next month. I want to close or downgrade my ATT card. When my TY Premier hits 24 months, I would like to open a second Premier card and pick up another 50k points.

Question: If I close my ATT Access More card this month, will this reset the 24 month clock for my TY Premier card? Is the ATT product line considered part of the TY product line? Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by KIcarus
My ATT Access More annual fee just hit in September, and my TY Premier card hits next month. I want to close or downgrade my ATT card. When my TY Premier hits 24 months, I would like to open a second Premier card and pick up another 50k points.

Question: If I close my ATT Access More card this month, will this reset the 24 month clock for my TY Premier card? Is the ATT product line considered part of the TY product line? Thanks for the help!
Why do you want to downgrade the Att card? I just got it a few months ago and it’s outstanding. Soooo many things I buy are online and 3x. The af bets with the 10k annual TYP bonus and maybe you even get a retention offer?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:30 pm

can you PC from Prestige to Citi double cash? Looking to downgrade wife's Prestige, that is the only Citi card she has. Not interested in any retention offers, goal is to preserve the CL. If double cash is not possible, which is the next best option for a no fee card? Very minimal TYP left in the account so preserving/using those points is also a non-issue. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neony77
can you PC from Prestige to Citi double cash? Looking to downgrade wife's Prestige, that is the only Citi card she has. Not interested in any retention offers, goal is to preserve the CL. If double cash is not possible, which is the next best option for a no fee card? Very minimal TYP left in the account so preserving/using those points is also a non-issue. Thanks!
I don't know offhand. The answer may be upthread in some post, or in the retention thread (search for "Prestige" in each thread to find posts about it)..

I do know that Citi has allowed downgrades from other annual fee cards, even partner annual fee cards, to DoubleCash, so I don't see why they wouldn't for Prestige, but I don't know whether they do for a fact.

If they don't, the other options to consider would be AT&T Access (if you don't already have the Access More card), since it gives you 2x on many online purchases, or Citi TYP Preferred, since in the latter case you wouldn't lose any of your points from the prestige (though you would lose the ability to transfer them to most partners).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't know offhand. The answer may be upthread in some post, or in the retention thread (search for "Prestige" in each thread to find posts about it)..

I do know that Citi has allowed downgrades from other annual fee cards, even partner annual fee cards, to DoubleCash, so I don't see why they wouldn't for Prestige, but I don't know whether they do for a fact.

If they don't, the other options to consider would be AT&T Access (if you don't already have the Access More card), since it gives you 2x on many online purchases, or Citi TYP Preferred, since in the latter case you wouldn't lose any of your points from the prestige (though you would lose the ability to transfer them to most partners).
Just to update .. my wife was able to change Prestige to DoubleCash but it did require a change in account number. She did not check if that would lead to a credit pull but hopefully not!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:49 pm

What happens if you merge multiple TY point accounts in to a single one? Do some points acquire an expiration date?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Citi tracks the source of the points, merging TY accounts does not change the expiration date or policy.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Is it possible to transer points to a spouses account before closing account and having no 3 month expiry of points?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by navatwal
Is it possible to transer points to a spouses account before closing account and having no 3 month expiry of points?
No as soon as you transfer them to the spouses acct. the clock starts ticking. Your best bet is to downgrade the card to a no fee card (like Preferred) and transfer them when you want to use them.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
Just to update .. my wife was able to change Prestige to DoubleCash but it did require a change in account number. She did not check if that would lead to a credit pull but hopefully not!

Earlier this year i changed Premier to Preferred (no af) and it didn’t change the numbers. Couple of months after I changed the preferred to att access more and it did change the card number but it wasn’t a hard pull
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
No as soon as you transfer them to the spouses acct. the clock starts ticking. Your best bet is to downgrade the card to a no fee card (like Preferred) and transfer them when you want to use them.
the Preferred has fewer transfer partners and at worse rates.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by UA Fan
the Preferred has fewer transfer partners and at worse rates.
Yes it does but how else can you save the points with no expiration date (no fee) than to product change? The person wanted to transfer to SO with out losing points in 60-90 days. This is just a holding pattern till SO needs them.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:18 am

Best place to park points

My apologies if this has already been discussed.

I'd really like to cancel my Premier. I have a Prestige that I will keep, but I really hate the fact that I can't combine the points on the Prestige as Citi will expire the transferred points.

I currently don't have a specific target for the points, but I don't want to keep paying the AF just to park them. Any suggestions?

I've thought about Singapore or Cathay (I'm currently based in Asia)... but of course those miles would also be subject to expiration eventually. I do plan to use them before then, but there's always a chance that my plans will fall through (or I can't redeem the dates I want).

Any partners that I could maybe transfer to that don't expire or at least can be kept "alive" through activity?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baroqen
My apologies if this has already been discussed.

I'd really like to cancel my Premier. I have a Prestige that I will keep, but I really hate the fact that I can't combine the points on the Prestige as Citi will expire the transferred points.

I currently don't have a specific target for the points, but I don't want to keep paying the AF just to park them. Any suggestions?

I've thought about Singapore or Cathay (I'm currently based in Asia)... but of course those miles would also be subject to expiration eventually. I do plan to use them before then, but there's always a chance that my plans will fall through (or I can't redeem the dates I want).

Any partners that I could maybe transfer to that don't expire or at least can be kept "alive" through activity?
So you want to cancel a $95 AF card but keep the $450 AF card?

Anyway, are you sure you even have to pay an annual fee on your Premier? See here:
Next, if you really want to close your Premier despite retention offers, you should instead downgrade it to Citi TYP Preferred. Datapoints suggest that downgrades to Preferred keep the points alive as long as you keep the Preferred open (and Preferred has no annual fee). So by downgrading the Premier to Preferred, and keeping the Prestige alive, you would keep the points alive from both cards, and then could use the oldest points at the time when you decide to transfer.

There is no great place to park TYP points. This wiki lists the expiration policies for all partners, but without going through them all, I think only Hilton, JetBlue, and Virgin Atlantic can be kept alive through "activity", plus AirFrance/KLM can be kept alive with paid (elite-earning qualifying) SkyTeam flights -- credited to FlyingBlue -- every 20 months (but no other way).

But Hilton is a hotel program with a poor transfer ratio to airlines, JetBlue is a currency-based-redemption program in the USA with few partners, and Virgin Atlantic is based in London and all its flights start or end there AFAIK, and I don't think it has that many partners (but I'm not sure).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So you want to cancel a $95 AF card but keep the $450 AF card?

Anyway, are you sure you even have to pay an annual fee on your Premier? See here:
Next, if you really want to close your Premier despite retention offers, you should instead downgrade it to Citi TYP Preferred. Datapoints suggest that downgrades to Preferred keep the points alive as long as you keep the Preferred open (and Preferred has no annual fee). So by downgrading the Premier to Preferred, and keeping the Prestige alive, you would keep the points alive from both cards, and then could use the oldest points at the time when you decide to transfer.
Thanks! I'm an idiot and totally forgot about the downgrade option.

As for keeping the Prestige... I do make good use out of the 4th night free program. Enough to justify the annual fee. The Premier on the other hand just sits gatehring dust. There are literally no benefits for me that the Prestige doesn't already cover. I live in a city where I no longer need to drive so I don't even spend on gas.

I'll downgrade. I don't want to risk Citi shutting down my Premier by accident during the conversation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.