Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the feedback!
Called twice.. this is 3d renewal and i had offers last two times so not very surprised. One rep offered 1k pts as friendly gesture
it seems that premier to preferred change keeps the number - there are quite a few dp on that (but there is always a chance for some glitch or csr error along tbe way)..
another option of course is to pay and treat it as 60k ty for $95 but if they pull the offer in a month that will be annoying...
or i can apply now to see if i can get another citi approval 3 wks after prev one... i have doubts as previous one got high limit and it will take time for reduction to kick in... grrr
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:26 pm

Thankyou web page used to show points expiration date, and as part of that it would show a detailed breakdown of current points balance by card. That was helpful as it made closing old accounts easy.

Now, is there any way to breakdown points by sponsor account? I can see the amount of points earned by each card during a specific time frame, but when you have a number of Premier and Preferred cards open, due to some account conversions, it is hard to know which card is safe to close.

With a few TYP earning cards, multiple redemptions, thing get muddy as I cannot tell which points were used for redemption. Before closing an account, I would like to know how many points will expire (in 60 days) due to the closure. Can that info be found anywhere?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
My account has a button which shows expiring points by what the sponsoring product was....banking points expire so that is straight forward.

However until one cancelled a card, I'm not sure how one could tell.

My suggestion would be to have a specific redemption in mind, and either do that then, and then cancel.

If you have a Prestige you can at least take a statement credit for a 1cpp, which is not awesome, but at least prevents loss.

Supposedly their rule is that expiring points are used first for redemptions.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:26 am

I opened a Premiere card last month, and then closed my Prestige card this month. I know I have 60 days to transfer my points associated with the Prestige card, but that TYP account no longer shows up on my account page. Can I access it online somehow, or do I need to call in to make any transfers to award partners?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:04 pm

FYI, just canceled my Citi Prestige and customer service on Thankyou.com explicitly said i can no longer access my points via thankyou.com and can only redeem via phone.

This becomes a huge negative if you're booking multiple locations; i already expressed it would take hours via phone for them to give me the information i need vs simply seeing the hotel online. The only way to access thankyou.com website again and the hotels it offers is to sign up for another credit card that offers thankyou.com points.

If you do that, you can then transfer your old points to that CC's new account and utilize the website again. that is the ONLY way you can book via thankyou.com with your recently canceled card's earned ThankYou points.

FYI, points earned via Citi Prestige card will still show as "Prestige Points" that can be used to get the "4th night free" perk after your card is canceled. However, you have to be sure you don't exceed your balance and incur charges; i.e. if you book a 4-night hotel stay for 80k points and have 105k points, your booking can still utilize the "4th night free". However, if your booking is 106k points, you can't get the perk.

Also, as of 9/10/2018 at 1:30PM PST, Citi customer service acknowledges there is an issue with their Thankyou.com website not working. Specifically with logging in; if you sign in as prompted and enter your Citi credit card account login, it will bring you back to the Thankyou.com site that doesn't show you logged in (i.e. there isn't an account brief/your name in the corner). If you click to redeem, it will link you directly to your credit card account; so begins a confusing cycle of trying to get into Thankyou.com to see what can be redeemed.

Only way at he moment to redeem is over the phone; i was able to get 1000 Thankyou points for my inconvenience but was NOT able to extend my 60 day expiration from cancellation (8/24/2018) and reset the clock to today (9/10). they did make a note in my account about this glitch and said if i didnt book when my points expired they would re-instate it.

Last edited by DevRogue; Sep 10, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Quick data point. I have Citi Thank you Premier card for 3 years. Annual fee due Sept 15 for Year 3. Applied for and approved for same card Citi Thank You Premier. From what I have been reading, you can't combine points like Amex MR so I will need to downgrade existing card to TY Preferred and keep points or close card. If I downgrade, looks like no airline transfers and travel 1:1 instead of 1.25. Also, if I transfer to new TY card, I only have 90 day expiration day to use. Does this sound correct? Wonder if I should just use points now! Thanks,
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
...applied for new Citi TYP Premier card and got approved while still holding the other card from 3 years ago...
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
.... if I transfer to new TY card, I only have 90 day expiration day to use. ,
At this point you can downgrade the old Premier to Preferred. This will preserve the points balance. When ready to redeem you can share points from the Preferred with the new Premier card, and have 90 days to redeem.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Hi, from reading this, I'm confused about "taxable" (checking) vs "non-taxable" (points)

I have points from a TYP premier credit card (active) and a Citi gold checking account (active). My total points balance doesn't say which points are from which. I can deduce this by looking at the expiration dates.

Am I correct that I can never use the checking account points to transfer to airlines/hotels? When I go into the transfer feature, it says that my total points balance is all available for transfer.

Is there any way to keep the checking points active beyond the 3 years? I can't find how to.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
....correct that I can never use the checking account points to transfer to airlines/hotels? When I go into the transfer feature, it says that my total points balance is all available for transfer.....
Points earned from banking should be tagged as taxable, and unavailable to Transfer or Share, but it sounds as if this has not happened in your case.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by DevRogue
FYI, just canceled my Citi Prestige and customer service on Thankyou.com explicitly said i can no longer access my points via thankyou.com and can only redeem via phone.

This becomes a huge negative if you're booking multiple locations; i already expressed it would take hours via phone for them to give me the information i need vs simply seeing the hotel online. The only way to access thankyou.com website again and the hotels it offers is to sign up for another credit card that offers thankyou.com points.

If you do that, you can then transfer your old points to that CC's new account and utilize the website again. that is the ONLY way you can book via thankyou.com with your recently canceled card's earned ThankYou points.

FYI, points earned via Citi Prestige card will still show as "Prestige Points" that can be used to get the "4th night free" perk after your card is canceled. However, you have to be sure you don't exceed your balance and incur charges; i.e. if you book a 4-night hotel stay for 80k points and have 105k points, your booking can still utilize the "4th night free". However, if your booking is 106k points, you can't get the perk.

Also, as of 9/10/2018 at 1:30PM PST, Citi customer service acknowledges there is an issue with their Thankyou.com website not working. Specifically with logging in; if you sign in as prompted and enter your Citi credit card account login, it will bring you back to the Thankyou.com site that doesn't show you logged in (i.e. there isn't an account brief/your name in the corner). If you click to redeem, it will link you directly to your credit card account; so begins a confusing cycle of trying to get into Thankyou.com to see what can be redeemed.

Only way at he moment to redeem is over the phone; i was able to get 1000 Thankyou points for my inconvenience but was NOT able to extend my 60 day expiration from cancellation (8/24/2018) and reset the clock to today (9/10). they did make a note in my account about this glitch and said if i didnt book when my points expired they would re-instate it.
just an update since this is the last one regarding my ThankYou points earned through Citi Prestige:

points are peasant status now. Post-card cancellation, no Prestige bonus, no 4th night free retention; verified through customer service. Burn your points BEFORE you cancel, never after! I was told that Prestige-earned ThankYou points when used for travel redemption are worth 8,000:$100 while normal points (post Prestige card cancellation) for any redemption are 10,000:$100.

Since i've earned 106,000 points:
$1,325 = Utilizing while having Prestige card
$1,060 = Utilizing AFTER Prestige card cancellation

Basically a loss of $265 by cancelling card prior to booking. Which Citi actually will pro-rate your annual fee depending on which day you cancel; i canceled a few days prior to my 1-year anniversary so i got a credit back on my annual fee that i didn't use. I feel that if i canceled a few days AFTER my annual renewal, that too would be credited back. at $450/year (aka 365.25 days), it's about $1.23 per day. Hence i could of waited almost 200 days after my 1-year anniversary and it still would of been worth keeping around to book my points.

TLR; if you have a upcoming trip and want to burn points, don't cancel your Citi Prestige card (based on $1.23/day annual fee, 80 points : $1 ratio)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:06 pm

FYI:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-prestige-changes/

Note the following changes upcoming for 2019:
  • 4th Night Free will be limited to twice per calendar year, and this cap includes both the main card member and any authorized users.
  • No more 25% bonus for air travel when you redeem points directly through Citi. You’ll now get 1 cent per point on airfare when redeeming through the Citi travel portal.
  • 2x points on entertainment going away. So starting in September you’ll earn just 1 point per dollar on entertainment purchases.
  • Annual fee increasing to $495, from $450. The increased annual fee won’t impact Citigold and Private Bank clients, who will still pay $350 a year
So my gripe about 1.2 to 1 point transfer is gone as well. In addition, points can only transfer in 1000 increments; Customer service is extremely daft and will not figure or warn you about this until a transfer has happened, then let you know you can't do a 2nd transfer in the same day. Hence, my 106,031 miles equates to:

95,000 KrisFlyer miles
10,000 cash back into $100
1,031 lost miles b/c i didn't know about the increments and could of applied to KrisFlyer

Last edited by DevRogue; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:23 pm Reason: added info
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
AF posted a couple of weeks ago and downgraded Premier to Preferred yesterday (account number stayed the same). Agent mentioned it wouldn't be effective until December (but it shows Preferred online now). Question is, will I properly receive a full refund of the $95 annual fee since it's well within 37 days?

Update: AF refunded promptly and the account number stayed the same

Last edited by frudd38; Nov 18, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any recent DP's of downgrading Prestige to Premier or Preferred AND preserving the account number, thus not resetting the clock?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
Any recent DP's of downgrading Prestige to Premier or Preferred AND preserving the account number, thus not resetting the clock?
not a recent DP But early 2017 I downgraded Premier to Preferred and the card number didn’t change A month or two later I learned about ATTAM and changed preferred
to ATTAM. This time
the card number did change.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A data point re renewal: Decided to cancel Premier since retaining the Prestige makes sense for me, even in view of the latter's recent changes that are negative. Called and said I wanted to cancel unless there were any good retention offers or annual fee waivers/reductions.

The agent then made me an offer of crediting my account $95 (the equivalent of the annual fee) if I spend $95 on the card within the next two billing cycles, including the current one. Plus, via a separate offer, signed me up for an extra 500 TY points for each billing cycle I spend $500; offer good for the next 16 billing cycles.

I decided to retain the card. Not sure how much I'll take advantage of the latter offer, but it could come in handy for at least a few months now and then for gas, certain hotels, etc. FWIW, I believe I've had the card and its precursor TY card for about four years; I've used them pretty regularly during that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.