Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:24 pm

not sure why first rep said i couldnt convert. just converted through chat
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by 4everlove
I talked to a rep and she told me it could've been a system glitch and it wasn't supposed to expire, and her supervisor agreed. She offered to call me back the day after expiration date to follow up and would reinstate the points if it indeed expires. I have some but not too many points expiring so I will wait and see what is going on. 7 days to spend them is outrageous.

UPDATE: my points remain intact, and the message of my points with Prestige expiring disappeared.
Citi couldn't fix whatever they fixed for you. Since it wasn't a huge number of points, I finally redeemed for an e-gift card so I wouldn't waste more with Citi. That fixed nothing! The next day I still had the same number expiring. Finally they agreed to just credit my account in advance for the points so I won't have to call again.

Even Citi's own computers think their expiration rules are too complicated.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:40 am

where is the expiration date listed? just switched my card so want to see if they are expiring too
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by evor1
where is the expiration date listed? just switched my card so want to see if they are expiring too
It's under Points Summary on the right, but nothing showed as expiring until 2 days after I converted my card. Check back Wednesday I guess.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Citi couldn't fix whatever they fixed for you. Since it wasn't a huge number of points, I finally redeemed for an e-gift card so I wouldn't waste more with Citi. That fixed nothing! The next day I still had the same number expiring. Finally they agreed to just credit my account in advance for the points so I won't have to call again.

Even Citi's own computers think their expiration rules are too complicated.
Haha so true. With all the points being assigned with different expiration dates, I bet there are a couple of nasty bugs waiting to bite them in the a**.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:34 am

says points will expire 10/7 after downgrade
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:06 pm

I just called to see about converting my dividend card to a double cash because I would like to start earning 2x. I was hoping to avoid it counting as a new account opening because I am currently under 5/24. She says it will result in a new number but no new hard credit pull. Will Chase see this as a new card?

Also, I don’t think this will reset the 24 month clock because it is a closure of a dividend card not a T.Y. card and there is no new bonus. Anyone think otherwise?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
I just called to see about converting my dividend card to a double cash because I would like to start earning 2x. I was hoping to avoid it counting as a new account opening because I am currently under 5/24. She says it will result in a new number but no new hard credit pull. Will Chase see this as a new card?
Chase only counts cards that show an "opened on" date within the past 24 months on your credit report.

So it depends how long ago you opened the Dividend card. The converted card inherits the original card's "opened on" date for credit bureau reporting purposes. So the concern would only exist if (a) you opened the Dividend card less than 2 years ago, and (b) Citi due to its ineptitude keeps the old card on the credit report while showing the new card also, for a non-trivial amount of time, or if you do a Chase application during the "moment" when both cards may temporarily be on your credit report. (It may be normal for both cards to show up for a statement cycle or two, but after that the old card should definitely disappear.)
lkar likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:39 am

says points will expire 10/7 after downgrade
evor1, were you able to get the expiration fixed?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by RobertF14
happened to me too, i called and it was fixed. converter premier to rewards+ and listed expiration date of a couple days after conversion listing “closure” as the reason. but the account wasnt closed, the account number even stayed the same. and yeah, citi’s typ expiration rules are way too complicated.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by wiivile
happened to me too, i called and it was fixed. converter premier to rewards+ and listed expiration date of a couple days after conversion listing “closure” as the reason. but the account wasnt closed, the account number even stayed the same. and yeah, citi’s typ expiration rules are way too complicated.
Ya I wrote about it in post 675. No one believed me.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

i just waited for the expiration to pass and it went away. still got the points.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by RobertF14
i just waited for the expiration to pass and it went away. still got the points.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
For how long? 90 days? Too chicken to let 38,000 to try.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:56 pm

I just called to downgrade my Prestige to a Rewards plus to avoid most of the annual fee. For whatever it's worth, they said that my card number would change which I think resets the 24 month clock. I'm kind of bummed about that because I was actually just about 6 months from the 24 month period being over and I wanted to apply for the Premier 60k. I'm actually thinking about reversing the product change since the annual fee will be partly offset by the airline credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.