Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mia
No. There are two, and only two, ways to prevent ThankYou points from expiring if you close the Prestige card which earned them:

1. Redeem them
2. Downgrade Prestige to Premier or Rewards+.

Opening or holding other cards, bank accounts, etc has NO effect.
Is downgrading to Double cash not an option since that is now also linked to TYP ?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Is downgrading to Double cash not an option since that is now also linked to TYP ?
Insufficient data.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
My Citi Premier is about to post annual fee. I have 67K TU points. I have Citi Prestige card too.
If I merge my points from Citi Premier with Citi Prestige and then cancel my premier card, will that be good enough and keep my 67K points from expiring Or is there a better way to save/redeem them?

TIA.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Until we hear otherwise, the assumption is not, because Citi Double Cash only lets you convert your cashback to TYP, it doesn't actually earn TYP directly.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by desikid
My Citi Premier is about to post annual fee. I have 67K TU points. I have Citi Prestige card too.
If I merge my points from Citi Premier with Citi Prestige and then cancel my premier card, will that be good enough and keep my 67K points from expiring Or is there a better way to save/redeem them?

TIA.
Should be fine basis below.

Originally Posted by mia
No. There are two, and only two, ways to prevent ThankYou points from expiring if you close the Prestige card which earned them:

1. Redeem them

Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:57 pm

I think it only keeps them for 60 days even the two accounts are merged.

In order to keep the 67K you earned on the Premier, after you merged the two accounts, without cancelling the Premier card, you should downgrade it to non-AF card such as Rewards+ or Preferred (if still offered). And keep that card until you finished using the 67K.

That's what I understand reading posts here. You should scroll up a bit and see some posts from posters such as mia and Sdserch.

Michaelmorio

Last edited by michaelmorio; Nov 27, 2019 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by brc01
Going off the conventional wisdom that getting a new card number from a conversion/product change will reset the 24 month bonus eligibility. I couldn't find a consensus of data points anywhere that a Prestige downgrade does not reset the bonus clock, so I think it's safe to assume it does reset it.
That's a bummer, forces us to hold onto Prestige until you get in another TYP card bonus before cancelling..
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:38 am

Got some input on Prestige downgrade on last month's FM blog post 'Dumping my Citi Prestige card'.

Downgrading the Prestige to another TYP card and the account number changing appears to be YMMV and no one can really figure out why. One DP said downgrading from Prestige to a Premier did NOT result in card number changing. In my case, Citi told me going from Prestige to a Premier, Preferred, and Rewards+ would all result in card number changing.

Waiting to downgrade after Jan statement closes to get one more $250 travel credit.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia

1. Redeem them

Is this still the case? I downgraded to Rewards+ a month or so ago and I don't see any expiration listed for my points. Online chat agent also confirmed they are not set to expire anytime soon.

But over the phone I was just told they are set to expire after 60 days the Premier account was closed.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotbird
Is this still the case? I downgraded to Rewards+ a month or so ago and I don't see any expiration listed for my points. Online chat agent also confirmed they are not set to expire anytime soon.

But over the phone I was just told they are set to expire after 60 days the Premier account was closed.
Your Premier TYP account was not closed, it was converted. So that whole last statement makes no sense. But I don't know what you asked exactly, so I don't if you asked the wrong question (it would have been the right answer if you had asked about point life after actually closing a Premier account, in abstract), or if they gave you the wrong answer to a question specifically about your converted account.

In case it was the latter, it wouldn't be surprising. Citi agents make up things often enough, that if you keep asking the same question of multiple agents, you're likely to eventually get different answers.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Any thoughts on what to do with expiring points? I have ~30k expiring in a few days (from an old Forward card, but I have a prestige for redemption options). I don't have any specific receptions planed so any transfer/use would be speculative.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jalm1
Any thoughts on what to do with expiring points? I have ~30k expiring in a few days (from an old Forward card, but I have a prestige for redemption options). I don't have any specific receptions planed so any transfer/use would be speculative.
If you "park" them at Avianca (a Star Alliance member), you can keep them alive "forever" with periodic "activity". That's better than most of the other transfer partners, many of which have "hard" expiration (ie, not resettable in any reasonable way).

If you want to explore more, the wikipost atop this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-partners.html

has a list of all of the Citi TYP airline partners, plus a link to a list of the expiration policies at all of those airlines.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 28, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by desikid

TIA.
Even when the ThankYou points are merged, they are still attached to the card that you earned them from. Once you close the card, all the points earned from that card will expire in 60 days. I had assumed that merging would keep all my points alive but 60 days later I am mourning my lost points.

So michaelmorio below would be correct.

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I think it only keeps them for 60 days even the two accounts are merged.

In order to keep the 67K you earned on the Premier, after you merged the two accounts, without cancelling the Premier card, you should downgrade it to non-AF card such as Rewards+ or Preferred (if still offered). And keep that card until you finished using the 67K.

That's what I understand reading posts here. You should scroll up a bit and see some posts from posters such as mia and Sdserch.

Michaelmorio
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Just a quick note - the "My Expiring Points" page of TYP can be a little funky.
When I added up manually all the points listed on the page - they didn't add up to my total balance.
Because I printed out a copy of the page 6 months ago I was able to account for a huge chunk of points not listed.

I'm not sure there is any rhyme or reason why they were left out of the most recent display of the page.
Had I not printed that page out long ago I would have no idea the correct accounting of my points.
I've had numerous conversions and product changes over the years and so I'm sure the computer was not programmed for a complicated scenario like that but wanted to share my experience.

The biggest risk with a funky display of accounting is having points that actually have an expiration date not show up on the screen.
For example I had about 1200 points with a 2020 expiration that was part of the total balance calculation but not shown on the line item as a chunk that would expire. They would go poof if I wasn't paying attention to them.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Cancel Citi Prestige

I am looking to cancel the Citi Prestige after three years, I am guessing that it makes sense to apply for the Citi Premier card before cancelling due to the 24 months rule and 60k bonus points.

is that a better strategy than downgrading?

i understand that my current TY points will expire in 60 days regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.