Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Merging has no bearing on expiration, Downgrading to Rewards+ will preserve the points.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Any reason to have Citi ThankYou Preferred vs the Citi Double Cash Back?
Not Preferred, but its replacement Rewards+ gives 10% back on all TYP redemptions, from all your linked TYP accounts.
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Can one product change the ThankYou account to cash back without losing the points in
No, the points will expire after 60 days, because the Double Cash doesn't earn TYP points, it only let you set up a TYP account to transfer your cashback to, but that account cannot inherit points which were "native" to the TYP card you product changed from.

So I suggest you product change any TYP card with points you want to keep to Rewards+ (in which case you keep your points, and gain the 10% back on TYP redemptions), and get DoubleCash some other way (either a from-scratch application, or a product convert form a card where you have no points to lose).
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:26 pm

Making some changes and wanted to confirm with this thread:

I currently have Prestige and Premier. No longer use Premier much. Still use Prestige for dining, traveling, 4th night. Thinking about
Applying for Reward+ to take advantage of 10% rebate on redemption. It also has a small 15K SUB.
Downgrading Premier to Double Cash as a 2% card.

Questions:
1) Possible to downgrade Premier to Double Cash? I know I can downgrade Premier to Reward+ but won't get the SUB. And downgrade can preserve credit history and not reset 24 months?
2) Is it correct that if I have Prestige and Reward+ that if I transfer Prestige TYP to airline, that I will get 10% rebate? Or does this feature only apply to Reward+ TYP transfers?
3) Is it correct that Double Cash 2%, if linked to Prestige TY, can become TYP?
4) Are Double Cash TYPs and Reward+ TYPs transferable to airline partners if I have Prestige? Or are they not transferable to airline partners?
5) 24 month will reset as soon as I downgrade + apply?

TIA!
jalm1 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:14 am
mia

Originally Posted by 247traveler
3) Is it correct that Double Cash 2%, if linked to Prestige TY, can become TYP?
The ability to convert cash to TYP is a feature of Double Cash and is not dependent on holding any other card. As far as I know the Double Cash ThankYou Rewards account is separate from any others, but you care Share points from it with another account, subject to the 100,000 point annual cap and the expiration policy for Shared points.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Apologies if this has been answered, but what date triggers the expiration timeline when downgrading to a non-TYP card? I requested a downgrade to the Costco card late November but it was not completed until 29 January. I have assumed (and one citi agent confirmed) the 60 day clock started 29 January....but I have doubts. Anyone have any confirmed experience?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:02 pm
kyh

Originally Posted by navatwal
I am looking to cancel the Citi Prestige after three years, I am guessing that it makes sense to apply for the Citi Premier card before cancelling due to the 24 months rule and 60k bonus points.

is that a better strategy than downgrading?

i understand that my current TY points will expire in 60 days regardless.
The 24-month rule clock resets when you cancel the account, so I recommend signing up for the Premier sign up bonus first and have the bonus post in your account before canceling the Prestige card. Some mentioned that the 24-month clock only starts from the day you received the previous sign-up bonus, so I decided to play it safe and applied for Premier card 24 months after receiving the Prestige sign up bonus (Sep 2017). You get full refund of Prestige AF if you cancel within 60 days of the fee being posted, but I didn't want to take the risk of not getting the sign-up bonus for Premier, and only canceled Prestige in January (to get the $250 travel credit for the year and get back the pro-rated AF refund).

Timeline:
1) Signed up for Prestige in Aug 2017 (received 75k welcome bonus in Sep 2017)
2) Signed up for Premier in Oct 2019 (received 60k welcome bonus in Nov 2019)
3) Cancelled Prestige in Jan 2020 after getting $250 of travel credit (AF refund to be prorated)

Points will expire for Prestige since I did not downgrade to a no AF card, plan to transfer the TYP out.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Thank you Premier downgrade Strategy

Over the last 3 years or so all four of us in the family have taken advantage of getting this card and the associated bonus. My youngest son still is in college and doesn't want to retain the card due to the annual fee. He's graduating in a few months so I'd given him the option to take control of it(but not the points, my spend earned those!).

Retention offers don't look good reading that Wiki. Downgrading as I understand it makes the points fairly useless as he can't transfer them to a loyalty program. Is it that can be used at 1 cent/point at that point only booking through the Thank You portal? And if we downgrade there is no guarantee he could upgrade later. If he downgrades and retains the points can they still be transferred into say my account(I have Citi Prestige) and then into a loyalty program of value?

All four of us have thank you point accounts so as I understand it we can move points to another account but they expire in 90 days from that point. So my thought was that my wife just recently got the Virgin Atlantic card and that bonus, we should be using those in the next couple years. I hate to take transferrable currency and put it into one basket but it will allow two redemptions at that point which will make things easier and Virgin's program seems to be pretty stable these days(knock on wood). So I assume my son could transfer most points(assume in 1000 increments) to my wifes Thank you account and then she could transfer that same amount to Virgin Atlantic account and there would be no expiration then on any of those points since they've moved on to Virgin. Is this correct? Anything tricky about doing this I need to be sure of?

Any other thoughts or solutions appreciated!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
PC To Double Cash

This dp may clarify some questions. I called Citi (which often doesn't end well) to cancel my TY Rewards+ and Preferred cards with the intention of applying later for the DC. The rep offered to pc my Rewards+ (the card with the higher CL) and move both the CL and history to the new DC without a credit report hit. She also offered to increase the CL over the existing R+ one with only questions about my income. Then she immediately applied that increase to my old R+ and said I should receive the new DC card in 5 days (I'll believe it when I see it).
I did not cancel the Preferred card to preserve the credit history at this time since it has no AF.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kyh
The 24-month rule clock resets when you cancel the account, so I recommend signing up for the Premier sign up bonus first and have the bonus post in your account before canceling the Prestige card. Some mentioned that the 24-month clock only starts from the day you received the previous sign-up bonus, so I decided to play it safe and applied for Premier card 24 months after receiving the Prestige sign up bonus (Sep 2017). You get full refund of Prestige AF if you cancel within 60 days of the fee being posted, but I didn't want to take the risk of not getting the sign-up bonus for Premier, and only canceled Prestige in January (to get the $250 travel credit for the year and get back the pro-rated AF refund).

Timeline:
1) Signed up for Prestige in Aug 2017 (received 75k welcome bonus in Sep 2017)
2) Signed up for Premier in Oct 2019 (received 60k welcome bonus in Nov 2019)
3) Cancelled Prestige in Jan 2020 after getting $250 of travel credit (AF refund to be prorated)

Points will expire for Prestige since I did not downgrade to a no AF card, plan to transfer the TYP out.
I'd always thought when you get the Prestige bonus you are not eligible for the THANK YOU Premier bonus until 24 months after closing the Prestige. Guess I was wrong?

Doesn't the fact that you have the TY Premier under I presume the same Thank you points account mean the points wouldn't expire? I thought you just had to have a premium TY points earning card to retain......pretty sure I'm correct on that. My understanding is also that if you transfer to another thank you account instead of the 90 day expiration rule it's 60 days like after card closure(from when you've closed your premium cards). I assume, however, when you mean transfer you mean to airline/hotel program.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
IDoesn't the fact that you have the TY Premier under I presume the same Thank you points account mean the points wouldn't expire?....
NO. Citi tracks the card account that earned the points. If that account is closed the points will expire. No exceptions. The only ways to keep the points is to DOWNGRADE to Rewards+ or Preferred (if still available) It is unclear if downgrading to Double Cash will preserve points because Double Cash does not natively earn TYP, it only offers them as a redemption option.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mia
NO. Citi tracks the card account that earned the points. If that account is closed the points will expire. No exceptions. The only ways to keep the points is to DOWNGRADE to Rewards+ or Preferred (if still available) It is unclear if downgrading to Double Cash will preserve points because Double Cash does not natively earn TYP, it only offers them as a redemption option.
OK, yeah understand. So in this example the points earned by the prestige would expire 60 days from cancelling the card(why do that-I guess to start the 24 month clock on getting the prestige bonus again?) . But, you can transfer to say Virgin Atlantic and keep them there?

So with my question earlier in this thread if my son downgrades his card to Rewards + card he can keep points in the thank you account indefinitely then, correct? Downgrading just makes the points worth 1 cent each if using in travel portal, that's the only "downside".

And he can transfer to me if I have a use for them within 90 days after transfer before expiring?

Last edited by Jonesdds; Feb 20, 2020 at 8:50 pm Reason: added content
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:46 pm

Wanting confirmation. Based on the text at the top

you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
I have a friend who was supposed to xfer me her pts. Citi shut her acct down due to inactivity and she now has less than 60 days to use those pts. The pts were earned via cc spend.

She can't xfer those to my typ acct?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaiotes
I have a friend who was supposed to xfer me her pts. Citi shut her acct down due to inactivity and she now has less than 60 days to use those pts. The pts were earned via cc spend.
I had a Citi TYP-earning card cancelled for inactivity, and I was able to get it re-instated (though it took a hard pull), and it didn't take 60 days, and the points never expired when the card was reinstated.

So does she not want to re-instate that card, or did she not realize she can reinstate the card?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I had a Citi TYP-earning card cancelled for inactivity, and I was able to get it re-instated (though it took a hard pull), and it didn't take 60 days, and the points never expired when the card was reinstated.

So does she not want to re-instate that card, or did she not realize she can reinstate the card?
My personal experience (before finding
​​​this thread) they wouldn't reopen my DC card. I'll let her know about the hard pull option to see if she is open to it. I personally would try to get the premier card if I were her but then I am into the pts she is not
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:59 pm

Citi sure makes things confusing. Here is my plan based on what I've gathered... please critique it and tell me spots where I might be thinking wrong:

P2 has Premier that just hit anniversary. Retention offers not available as of yet. My last TYP card was a Premier opened Aug. 2017, closed Aug. 2018. Looking to park the points until we're ready to transfer to another airline. Plan is to PC P2's Premier to a Rewards+ as that will keep the TYP from expiring. I will try to open a Premier sometime in the next 12 months, and if successful transfer P2's Rewards+ TYP to my Premier and redeem within 30 days for airline partners. If I'm denied for some reason we would attempt to upgrade P2's Rewards+ back to Premier.

Questions:
  1. I swear I saw something about 48 months, but the Premier page at Citi says 24 months between bonuses. Am I missing something?
  2. Do people generally have luck upgrading back to Premier from Rewards+? I understand we would be possibly missing out on another Premier bonus cycle for P2 (although I think the terms are 24 months from bonus or closure and downgrade/upgrade I don't think count as closure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.