Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
Sorry if I missed this upon reading the thread, but I have to cancel my PremierPass tomorrow and the recent 50K+ bonus points/purchase points show up as NA. I have other sponsor accounts as well with all varying TYP expiration dates. Upon my card cancellation tomorrow and after a few business days, the PP bonus points marked NA will show up as expiring within 30 days on the TY website?
Nope. See post 77 above for a summary of how it works.

Originally Posted by flyBernoulli
Otherwise, you could just redeem for a gift card of some sort, couldn't you? I'm not sure how varied the gift card options are though.
Or get a mortgage-payment check.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:47 pm

<2500 points

Hi guys, I have only 2400 or so ThankYou points. Have to cancel Thank You Premier. What should I do with these points? Should I wait to try for a retention offer? Not a whole lot but don't want them to go to waste, but not quite enough to do much with.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Hi guys, I have only 2400 or so ThankYou points. Have to cancel Thank You Premier. What should I do with these points? Should I wait to try for a retention offer? Not a whole lot but don't want them to go to waste, but not quite enough to do much with.
If you haven't cancel the card yet - spend $100 and get $25 Starbucks gift card. If you did - you need to either open another card or forget about them.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
If you haven't cancel the card yet - spend $100 and get $25 Starbucks gift card. If you did - you need to either open another card or forget about them.
Haven't cancelled yet, but I have been charged the fee. Even if I spent $100 now and cancelled tomorrow, would I get those points?
What card would you recommend opening? Thank You Preferred?
Is it reasonable to transfer these points to someone else?
Old May 29, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Cross post from the Citi retention thread (with slight modifications):

I just converted my TY Premier to a Preferred card, all the while confirming that the points from my Premier wouldn't expire as long as I kept open the converted account. My converted account already shows up in my list of sponsor accounts, and the points from my now converted Premier card remain listed with N/A as the expiration date, and my pts expiring within 90 days remains at 0, all as expected with a closed account. However, I also called ThankYou Customer Service two weeks later to confirm that those points from the Premier card wouldn't expire, and was told there were no points in my account that were set to expire.

So, we'll see how it goes, and whether a giant mass of TY points disappears from my account in two weeks. If they do, I've got two calls explicitly stating they won't expire as long as my Preferred card is open.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:31 am
jk2

I have 2 Premier cards and one Preferred. I am not sure how it is done, but I do have only 1 ThankYou number and points were combined into one pool. If I decide to cancel one of my cards, will my points expire?
Old May 29, 2013, 3:42 pm

Wiki

Given the recurring questions, I've gone ahead & started a wiki with basic answers from this thread. Feel free to pitch in/revamp/expand.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does anyone know why my points are not expiring? My mom transferred some points to me on 8/30/12 and when I look at the points expiration I see that they were to have expired on 11/30/12, however they are still in my account. I have Preferred and Premier sponsor cards.
I have a feeling these points have just expired. A few days ago, I logged into my account and I am pretty sure I saw a higher number of points than what I see now. However when I look at the activity, I do not see anything about points expired.

Is this normal?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
... I've gone ahead & started a wiki with basic answers from this thread. Feel free to pitch in/revamp/expand.
Excellent! Any member who can see the Edit button in the Wikipost area can create or edit the Wkipost for any thread.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by piyush
Any one else receive this e-mail? Surprised I have any points expiring since I earn all my points through the premier credit card and that is still open. Thankfully it's a very small number so it doesn't really matter.

"We are writing to notify you of a recent adjustment made to your ThankYou Member Account.

Due to a system error, your online ThankYou Member Account statement did not reflect the correct expiration date for some of your ThankYou Points. In the process of correcting this error, we identified (number deleted) points that should have already expired or are due to expire before April 15, 2013.

As a result, we have adjusted the expiration date of these points to give you until July 15, 2013 to redeem the impacted points. In addition, we have reviewed your online ThankYou Member Account Points Summary to ensure that all of your ThankYou Points are associated with the correct expiration dates, as specified in your sponsor account materials.

To check your point balance and expiration status of all your ThankYou Points, please visit your online account statement at www.thankyou.com."
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does anyone know why my points are not expiring? My mom transferred some points to me on 8/30/12 and when I look at the points expiration I see that they were to have expired on 11/30/12, however they are still in my account. I have Preferred and Premier sponsor cards.
It looks like I was one of those for whom the email applied. Don't remember seeing this post or getting such an email till now. The above points did expire today, however a call to TYP got the 5K points reinstated with ease.

Urge others to check their balance and call TYP if you lost anything.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 2P
I am trying to use up points expiring in the next few weeks (due to a recently closed Thankyou Premier card). Thanks for the clarification on the expiration - frustrating that the website doesn't display it properly.

It appears I can still book flights for 1.33 cents/point. Does anyone know if I redeem for a southwest flight (via phone), does it retain the normal flexibility associated with Southwest tickets (i.e. a flexible credit good for 1 year)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question about taxable value of TYP has been moved to established thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...all-banks.html
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
I faced the same issue about the expiration, & I called them... they reinstated the point and gave me an opportunity to redeem
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Data point

I messed up. Had combined TYP from 2 Premier cards (visa and mc). Decided to close the MC thinking the points were safe. Of course, the points that were tracked to the MC expired at 30 days. Called them up and spoke to a supervisor. I was hoping to save them for 30 days. She reinstated the points for a Year. That was a profitable call. 53,075 points saved.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
So I know that this thread is about cancelling or downgrading an existing Thankyou points card, but I was wondering what would happen if you upgraded an existing Thankyou points card. In particular, with the rumors that the Thankyou Premier card will be losing many of its valued benefits

I am considering upgrading my card to the Citi Prestige Card. However,I am wondering what will happen to my existing Thankyou points which have not been redeemed as well as unmatched flight points.

1) Will my existing Thankyou points transfer to my new card which will be a Mastercard since the Prestige isn't offered in a Visa, or will I only have 30 days to redeem the points?

2) Will my unmatched flight points transfer or will they immediately expire upon converting the card?

While I know I can ask a customer service rep, I have had many Citi reps give me inaccurate information so would appreciate any first hand accounts of what would happen.

I would hope that the points would be retained since I am upgrading my account, but knowing Citi I have little faith that this would actually be the case. Instead, I fear they will expire the points after 30 days in which case it makes little sense to convert an existing card when one can apply for a new card and get the signup bonus. However, I have a significant amount of points without any particular plans for use in the next few months so would prefer to go the upgrade rate if I can continue to bank these points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.