Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I have 165K from PPE before the conversion that would expire 4/30/2013. I have no idea what would be the best way to empty it. I think I need to study Marriott's LNF program and if LNF rate can be paid by Marriott Travel Card, that would be the way to redeem. (Yeah I know booking flights yields the best value... only that I dont have a slightest idea when / where to fly to.)
Can you not gift them to friends who plan to redeem a flight in the near future and get more in return?

This whole TYP thing is so complicated, I started to think the Fidelity 2% card is better. I always like AMEX's problem resolution better.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:28 pm
Suspended

what about 52700 thank you points I earned a month ago from my citi thank you card?

I have only 2 months left or I lose?

or only if I transfer?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by mntblue
This whole TYP thing is so complicated, I started to think the Fidelity 2% card is better. .
Actually they just changed the way they expire last weekend. Now if you close your credit card you have 30 days to use them AND they'll be the first to be used. Just wait a few days after closure then you should be ok to redeem.

Of course there is no mention of this on the TY.com web site. You have to speak to the ThankYou center to find this out. They likely didn't want to accentuate the problem by mentioning the solution.

I have a few ThankYou accounts I've not combined trying to avoid the redemption issues after closing. I may merge them all into one account now.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
what about 52700 thank you points I earned a month ago from my citi thank you card?

I have only 2 months left or I lose?

or only if I transfer?
If your account is still open and you just earned them they likely do not expire. See post #40 above to check your expiration. NA means there is no expiration.

If the account is closed, you have 30 days from the date of closure to use them before losing them.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you not gift them to friends who plan to redeem a flight in the near future and get more in return?
Why would I gift to "friends"? when I can still get the cash value when such "friends" only want for a free ride?

This whole TYP thing is so complicated, I started to think the Fidelity 2% card is better. I always like AMEX's problem resolution better.
No it is not complicated for NEW cardholders who get their cards AFTER the program changed in Mar of 2010.

Those of us who have been with TYPs have had some tremendous value that you have no idea how lucrative they were... Think 60K TYPs can get you a ticket worth $8K to $12K pre 2007 devaluation, and 90K can get you a ticket $2.7K pre 2009. ... I am still using the airline credits from those redemption ... Precisely because of the residual of such redemption still is several thousand $, that I dont ever need to redeem TYPs for flights yet, even though flight redemption is the best value.

In comparison, your Fido 2% card could only get you $1,200 for $60K spend... But back then one only needs to spend $30K (or much less) to earn 60K TYPs. Besides, Fido's AMEX is not an AMEX AMEX, it is just a BofA (FIA) card using AMEX network in case you have no idea AMEX brand cards issued outside AMEX is really NOT an AMEX except for the little logo...

Last edited by Happy; Jul 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Actually they just changed the way they expire last weekend. Now if you close your credit card you have 30 days to use them AND they'll be the first to be used. Just wait a few days after closure then you should be ok to redeem.

Of course there is no mention of this on the TY.com web site. You have to speak to the ThankYou center to find this out. They likely didn't want to accentuate the problem by mentioning the solution.

I have a few ThankYou accounts I've not combined trying to avoid the redemption issues after closing. I may merge them all into one account now.
The 30 days to use up the TYPs after sponsor account closure is PUBLISHED on the TYP site. The only thing not published is when those points would expire. My common sense says they naturally become the first pile to expire because you only have 30 days to use them up, even though they dont change the expiration dates attached to them.

Merging your TYPs would not change their expiration dates nor extend their lives if the sponsor cards are closed.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:19 pm

Apologies if I was not clear. This is from speaking with ThankYou.

Now when you close your account the points from the account you closed will be used first even if you have multiple accounts merged together. This is a change from what happened before. See post #41.

Yes the 30 days is published. The change they made is not.

Merging ThankYou sponsors prior to that change did make closure more complicated. See post 42. For that reason I purposefully would maintain multiple, separate ThankYou accounts. This no longer appears necessary as the complications of redemption after closure are no longer a factor.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:58 am

I didn't know the Fidelity card is not a real AMEX. I used to have a gold AMEX paid by Fidelity. I thought this is similar. Thanks for pointing out.

I'm well aware of the past glory of TYP. But people seem to have moved on to Chase.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know the Fidelity card is not a real AMEX. I used to have a gold AMEX paid by Fidelity. I thought this is similar. Thanks for pointing out.

I'm well aware of the past glory of TYP. But people seem to have moved on to Chase.
I too, have an AMEX GLD from Fido, that I never use but keep it open because of its longevity.

That AMEX GLD is from AMEX, but does NOT earn a cash rebate. It earns Membership Reward but you would have to enroll in the Membership Reward program in order to get the earning. Fido does NOT pay the $40 or $45 annual fee to enroll to Membership Reward.

This AMEX GLD is NOT the same AMEX Premium GLD that AMEX itself issues. The AMEX Prem GLD automatically enroll in the Membership Reward and no fee charged.

In fact when I called AMEX to inquire what does that card earn - no rep can give me a clear answer. A rep told me it earns a cash rebate that is not administered by AMEX. Another rep told me I had to call Fido to find out.

Fido has ceased its relationship with AMEX several years ago. Its current AMEX 2% card is from BofA (FIA), and earns 2% cash rebate which is directly deposited to your brokerage account, at least that was the rule when it was introduced. No idea how its mechanism now.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:30 pm

Citi Thankyou points - cancel/downgrade considerations

Both my wife and I have a Citi Thank you VISA card, 11 months old with about 54000 points balance each.

Best retention offer from Citi is for $75 credit that does not offset the $125 annual fee coming due in about 40 days. So planning to cancel the card.

I do not foresee using the points for purchasing flights in the short term. Even if I have to use them, the best value I can get is another $140 which is offset almost by the $125 fee coming due.

Questions:
What are some good options to keep the points or redeem them before canceling the card?

Can I downgrade to another Citi no-fee card and still get 1cent equivalent value of points if redeeming for Gift cards later on when I really need them?

Can the points be combined later with other cards earning "premium" thank you points and use them within 90 day period, at 1.33 cent value?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by acinchus
Both my wife and I have a Citi Thank you VISA card, 11 months old with about 54000 points balance each.

Best retention offer from Citi is for $75 credit that does not offset the $125 annual fee coming due in about 40 days. So planning to cancel the card.

I do not foresee using the points for purchasing flights in the short term. Even if I have to use them, the best value I can get is another $140 which is offset almost by the $125 fee coming due.

Questions:
What are some good options to keep the points or redeem them before canceling the card?

Can I downgrade to another Citi no-fee card and still get 1cent equivalent value of points if redeeming for Gift cards later on when I really need them?

Can the points be combined later with other cards earning "premium" thank you points and use them within 90 day period, at 1.33 cent value?
Just as a side note, you could redeem 108K TY points right now for $1200 in Best Buy credit (or Amazon, if you're willing to go buy Kindle GCs with your Best Buy GCs), with the $50 for 4500 point offer, through 9/30/12.

Besides that, 1:1 is the best you can redeem. Not really worth while to keep 2 of the cards open with the annual fee, so I'd probably close one. Consider calling the TY department to see if you can get your accounts merged (generally they do it for husband/wife only, and can often be a pain). If you can, I'd merge them, then cancel one of the cards, take the retention offer on the other, and pay the $50 difference. Losing out on the 1.33x multiplier on 108K TY points is an opportunity cost of $356.40. Definitely offsets the $50 difference on the annual fee.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:32 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
If it were me, I'd use them on a refundable AA ticket, make a change to get my real ticket, asking for the balance as a voucher.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
The whole point of Citi TYPs is redeeming them for flights, since for flight redemptions, 1 TYP = 1.33c. Aside from occasional specials, redeeming TYPs for flights offers the best redemption rate you can get. Also, flights redeemed with TYPs do not accrue TYPs but do accrue normal airline miles / points, and, hence, count towards status. So, each of your accounts is holding $718 in airline fares.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:26 pm

@roki, thanks for the tip on getting Best Buy cards. I had seen the offer but not considered converting to Amazon. Thats a definite plus. BTW whats highest denomination Kindle GCs you have seen at BestBuy?

As far as combining points, isnt there a 90 day limit to use the transferred points after which they expire? Is there a way around it or exceptions made by convincing Citi agents?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:48 pm

@burlax, yes flight redemptions are best value and getting more miles is a big plus, but like I mentioned I do not foresee a use for them in the short term since I have been redeeming miles for travel.

@daveland, intrigued about the refundable ticket to voucher conversion option. Can I buy a refundable ticket 10-11 months out and convert the whole amount to a voucher.

Besides AA, any other airlines like United that are good to work with vouchers? And what is typical expiration timeframe for the AA vouchers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.