Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by odin99
... switch the account from premier to preferred (but still have a prestige), do you think I'd be ok? (i.e., my premier points wouldn't expire)....
I don't think the Prestige account would have any bearing on it. If Citi allows a Premier to Preferred downgrade, and still considers it the same account, rather than a closure, the points should not expire, but confirm this with customer service.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:19 am

Reposted from a different thread, apologies: Can CitiGold bonus points (50K) be redeemed for a student loan check? Does it count as a "transfer"? - it's not clear in the wiki. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think the Prestige account would have any bearing on it. If Citi allows a Premier to Preferred downgrade, and still considers it the same account, rather than a closure, the points should not expire, but confirm this with customer service.
That is the way I understand it as well after speaking to a couple phone reps. As long as you aren't cancelling the card and only downgrading it to another TYP earning card, it doesn't seem that you have to worry about an expiration date when downgrading. However, if you cancel it, you would have 60 days to use those points before they die (assuming you have a "master" pooled account with other active Citi TYP cards).

However, another oddity is this- I was told you need to wait at least 5 days BEFORE transferring any points linked to that closed account to be sure that Citi actually pulls points from the closed account. Otherwise, the points might be debited from your other pool of TYPs and at the end of the 60 days, what you thought you had "saved" from your closed account wasn't actually pulled from that mini-pool of the closed account after all.

They let you combine point totals for your simplistic grand total eye pleasing benefit. However, behind the scenes, they still look at each TYP earning card individually and at its points individually. Caveat Emptor! (especially if you plan to close as opposed to downgrade a premium TYP card to a no-fee one)
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:39 am

I have one TY preferred and one TY premier card. I didn't combine their TY point so when I login to the thankyou.com, it used to ask me to choose which TY account I would like to login.

After closing my TY premier card few days ago. I am supposed to have 60 days to spend my remaining 30k TY points but when I login to thankyou.com, I could only see my existing TY account (for the preferred card).

Does anyone know how I could "switch back" to my premier TY account to use my point or I must do it over phone?

Thanks~
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:09 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong --

1) If I have a Prestige and a Premier and I want to close the former, I can transfer the points to the latter, but they would expire in 90 days.

2) If I have a Prestige and a Premier and I want downgrade the former to a Preferred (is that possible?), the points in that TY account will not expire in 90 days but will continue being available for as long as the Preferred account is open.

3) Points from the downgraded Prestige can be transferred to my Premier and transferred from there to airlines, but would be subject to a 90 day expiration from date of transfer.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by twkukoc
I have one TY preferred and one TY premier card. I didn't combine their TY point so when I login to the thankyou.com, it used to ask me to choose which TY account I would like to login.

After closing my TY premier card few days ago. I am supposed to have 60 days to spend my remaining 30k TY points but when I login to thankyou.com, I could only see my existing TY account (for the preferred card).

Does anyone know how I could "switch back" to my premier TY account to use my point or I must do it over phone?

Thanks~
Yes you have to call. Your Premier is closed. If you wanted anything other than gift cards it's probably to late.

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Please correct me if I'm wrong --

1) If I have a Prestige and a Premier and I want to close the former, I can transfer the points to the latter, but they would expire in 90 days.

2) If I have a Prestige and a Premier and I want downgrade the former to a Preferred (is that possible?), the points in that TY account will not expire in 90 days but will continue being available for as long as the Preferred account is open.

3) Points from the downgraded Prestige can be transferred to my Premier and transferred from there to airlines, but would be subject to a 90 day expiration from date of transfer.
Imho you have it correct, but maybe a Mod who knows Citi really well will chime in. I'm just not sure if you can downgrade the Prestige (go from a $450 fee card to a no fee card never had a Prestige) and I don't trust csr's. I've shared points between my Preferred and Premier cards more than once.

See mia's answer at top of page it answers most of your questions. I've always found mia to be correct.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Jan 13, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
See mia's answer at top of page it answers most of your questions. I've always found mia to be correct.
Thanks.

To the extent you're referring to the Wiki, though, I'm not sure that completely addresses my questions.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:57 pm
mia

1) If I have a Prestige and a Premier and I want to close the former...
It sounds as if you have two cards and two ThankYou Rewards accounts. If you wish you can combine these into a single rewards account. If you do that all of your points will be eligible to be redeemed at the Prestige rate. If you downgrade the Prestige to Preferred they would then all be redeemable at the Premier rate. (There is anecdotal evidence that downgrading does not trigger expiration, but this is not mentioned in the terms, and I have no direct experience.) If you close a card its points expire in 60 days, without regard to other cards remaining open.

If you maintain separate rewards accounts the only way to consolidate points is by sharing. I assume that the system will allow you to share points with another of your own ThankYou Rewards accounts. I have no direct experience, but this is easy to test. Shared points can be redeemed the same as other points in the receiving account. Shared points expire in 90 days.

Most of this information is here:

https://www.thankyou.com/tc.jspx?cmp...rms-conditions

or here:

https://www.thankyou.com/transferPoints.jspx#

Note that Citi now uses the term transfer only to move points out of ThankYou Rewards to Hilton or an airline partner. Internal moves are called sharing, even though some of the URL's include the word transfer.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if you have two cards and two ThankYou Rewards accounts. If you wish you can combine these into a single rewards account. If you do that all of your points will be eligible to be redeemed at the Prestige rate. If you downgrade the Prestige to Preferred they would then all be redeemable at the Premier rate. (There is anecdotal evidence that downgrading does not trigger expiration, but this is not mentioned in the terms, and I have no direct experience.) If you close a card its points expire in 60 days, without regard to other cards remaining open.

If you maintain separate rewards accounts the only way to consolidate points is by sharing. I assume that the system will allow you to share points with another of your own ThankYou Rewards accounts. I have no direct experience, but this is easy to test. Shared points can be redeemed the same as other points in the receiving account. Shared points expire in 90 days.

Most of this information is here:

https://www.thankyou.com/tc.jspx?cmp...rms-conditions

or here:

https://www.thankyou.com/transferPoints.jspx#

Note that Citi now uses the term transfer only to move points out of ThankYou Rewards to Hilton or an airline partner. Internal moves are called sharing, even though some of the URL's include the word transfer.
Thanks. My goal is to be able to close my Prestige but maintain the non-expiry of the points.

We know I can't close it (60-day expiry), we know I can't share the points (90-day expiry), so my only hope is that (i) I am able to downgrade a Prestige to a Preferred (not sure I can), and (ii) that a downgrade will maintain the non-expiry status of the points, despite/because of the product change.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel Citi screwed us on the CitiMiles term changes so I don't use their credit card much. However, I might be lucky but I have had good luck with them on reinstating lost points. I rarely use their credit card but have been a banking customer for over 30 years.

The first time was because somehow they never linked some of my banking accounts correctly and they ended up giving me retroactive points.

The 2nd time was from a card they cancelled due to non-use. I was not aware that I only had a few months to use them - thinking I still has my other accounts. I called, they transferred me to a different department and the woman there (who sounded not too friendly) just took care of it.

So, there is hope for those who want to try - if you still have some relationship with them.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:20 pm

Thanks. My goal is to be able to close my Prestige but maintain the non-expiry of the points.

We know I can't close it (60-day expiry), we know I can't share the points (90-day expiry), so my only hope is that (i) I am able to downgrade a Prestige to a Preferred (not sure I can), and (ii) that a downgrade will maintain the non-expiry status of the points, despite/because of the product change.
FWIW, first rep I called said no way to downgrade the Prestige to anything, and certainly not to Preferred.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:09 am

Based on the wiki, I have a citi Premier, Citi Prestige, and Citi Dividend (no fee 5% back card).

I am working on my 2nd half of the old 50k (20k in first yr, 30k in 2nd year) offer. I should have this completed by next month, or at the latest, March.

It seems that if i were to cancel the premier after getting my 30k bonus (but still keep the prestige and dividend), my extra 30k points on the Premier would go away almost immediately, or within 60 days?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:58 am
mia

Originally Posted by nonstopski
... my extra 30k points on the Premier would go away almost immediately, or within 60 days?
The points expire in 60 days, but redemption options which require a Premier card, such as the $0.0125 airline ticket value or transfers to hotel/airline partners, appear to end immediately.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
If I close a Citi Prestige, will I still be able to use the points @ 1.6c on American Airlines in the 60 day window? Or will I be limited to transfer partners?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
The points expire in 60 days, but redemption options which require a Premier card, such as the $0.0125 airline ticket value or transfers to hotel/airline partners, appear to end immediately.
Originally Posted by invalyd
If I close a Citi Prestige, will I still be able to use the points @ 1.6c on American Airlines in the 60 day window? Or will I be limited to transfer partners?
Near as I can tell this will depend on the cards that you still hold. If you hold Premier you should still be able to transfer to airlines, otherwise not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.