Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by beltway
IIRC, it has been attested on FT (in this thread?) by more than one poster. I myself have observed this phenomenon on my account.

Edit: See this post from 2013, and the discussion that follows, in which I described the phenomenon.
In the discussion that follows, y2chen indicated initially and then reconfirmed 3 months later that that their downgrade from Premier to Preferred did not lead to 60 day expiration of points. In addition, AmCh confirmed the same thing a few posts ago. So, I am not clear that this phenomenon you reference (60 day expiry of points due to closure of sponsor card even though no expiry date shows in points summary) is applicable to downgrades

I will check directly with TY customer service to get another confirmation of no expiry pending on the points earned with the now closed Premier due to it being associated with a conversion to Preferred, and update later.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jigri2003
I am not clear that this phenomenon you reference (60 day expiry of points due to closure of sponsor card even though no expiry date shows in points summary) is applicable to downgrades
Nor am I. My only point is that "the TYP site shows no expiring points in my account" isn't proof of anything related to account closure or downgrade.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean "downgrading" your account from Prestige to Premier -or- do you mean "sharing" the points in one ThankYou account with another?
"sharing" the points in one ThankYou account.
I plan on keeping the premier, and churn prestige.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuBu4
"sharing" the points in one ThankYou account.
Shared points expire after 90 days.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Nor am I. My only point is that "the TYP site shows no expiring points in my account" isn't proof of anything related to account closure or downgrade.
Point taken!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:59 am

Does anyone know the policy of combining multiple Thankyou accounts?

I have 3 thankyou accounts from 3 cards (Forward, Premier and AT&T), they are under the same website login, but they show 3 different thankyou points account.

I know sharing points will trigger the 60 days expiration policy, but what if I combine the 3 accounts into one? I do see there is "Combine my thankyou member accounts". Will this also trigger 60 days expiration policy, or just keep each card's separate expiration date?

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Lovevas
Does anyone know the policy of combining multiple Thankyou accounts?

I have 3 thankyou accounts from 3 cards (Forward, Premier and AT&T), they are under the same website login, but they show 3 different thankyou points account.

I know sharing points will trigger the 60 days expiration policy, but what if I combine the 3 accounts into one? I do see there is "Combine my thankyou member accounts". Will this also trigger 60 days expiration policy, or just keep each card's separate expiration date?
Combining accounts won't hasten expiration, but you should think carefully about doing so. You'll lose the ability to control which points you use for a given redemption.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Combining accounts won't hasten expiration, but you should think carefully about doing so. You'll lose the ability to control which points you use for a given redemption.
Does that matter only if one of the accounts' points have an expiration date, or are there other reasons you want to control which points you use for a given redemption?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does that matter only if one of the accounts' points have an expiration date, or are there other reasons you want to control which points you use for a given redemption?
Scenario:
  • I hold a TYP card (say, Forward) with points with expiration date N.
  • I also hold a second TYP card (e.g., Premier) for which the points never expire, or for which the expiration is later than N.
  • I have an immediate need to redeem TYP for an award.
  • I also plan to close card #2 (e.g., Premier) in the near future, but not before I make my TYP redemption.
If my accounts are combined, my redemption will always come from the card #1 pool of points. When I cancel card #2, I'll then have to contrive some way to use the points from it (which will suddenly have a 60-day expiry).

If my TYP accounts are separate, I can burn card #2 points at will.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jigri2003
I will check directly with TY customer service to get another confirmation of no expiry pending on the points earned with the now closed Premier due to it being associated with a conversion to Preferred, and update later.
I just checked with a CSR, and she stated that the existing points from the Premier will not expire as long as the downgraded Preferred card is active. She also clarified that the closed Premier card is actually not closed for the purposes of the TYP program; just converted to Preferred.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Jun 18, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:28 pm

Thanks! I think I will downgrade premier or prestige to keep the points not expired. So in this case, combining points account should be fine.

Thank you all!

Scenario:
  • I hold a TYP card (say, Forward) with points with expiration date N.
  • I also hold a second TYP card (e.g., Premier) for which the points never expire, or for which the expiration is later than N.
  • I have an immediate need to redeem TYP for an award.
  • I also plan to close card #2 (e.g., Premier) in the near future, but not before I make my TYP redemption.
If my accounts are combined, my redemption will always come from the card #1 pool of points. When I cancel card #2, I'll then have to contrive some way to use the points from it (which will suddenly have a 60-day expiry).

If my TYP accounts are separate, I can burn card #2 points at will.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:23 pm

If the only TY card I have is premier, but i want to downgrade as to avoid the annual fee, what are my options? is there a TY card with no annual fee that will allow me to transfer my points to an airline or to another TY account?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by James Ben
is there a TY card with no annual fee that will allow me to transfer my points to an airline or to another TY account?
Not to an airline partner. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-partners.html
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:28 pm

Thanks! how about to another persons TY account, would I be able to do that with the downgraded TY no fee card account?

Last edited by James Ben; Jun 19, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by James Ben
If the only TY card I have is premier, but i want to downgrade as to avoid the annual fee, what are my options? is there a TY card with no annual fee that will allow me to transfer my points to an airline or to another TY account?
Your only bet is to either keep the Premier or apply for the Prestige.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.