Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Log in to thankyou.com. Under Shop->Travel->Points Transfer you will see the option to transfer miles.

Currently 1:1 transfers to the following mileage programs:

1. Asia Miles
2. Etihad Guest
3. EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
4. Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer
5. Hilton HHonors™
6. Malaysia Airlines Enrich
7. Qatar Airways Privilege Club
8. Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
9. Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus

Bit of an odd mix, but it is a start...

Full FAQ below.

1. What is Points Transfer?
Points Transfer is a feature of ThankYou® Rewards that allows certain eligible ThankYou® members to easily transfer their ThankYou Points to a variety of international travel loyalty programs. From airlines to hotels, Points Transfer brings a new dimension of value and flexibility to your ThankYou Points.
2. Who is eligible to use Points Transfer?
Only Citi ThankYou® Premier, Citi Prestige® and Citi Chairman® cardmembers are eligible to transfer available and qualifying points to participating travel loyalty programs membership accounts.
3. How can I transfer ThankYou® Points?
Transfer your ThankYou Points through www.thankyou.com com or by calling the ThankYou Customer Service. Here's how:
1. 1. Select the participating travel loyalty program you want to transfer your available and qualifying ThankYou Points to.
2. 2. Select number of ThankYou Points to transfer
3. 3. Confirm Points Transfer and accept terms and conditions

4. Can I cancel my Points Transfer request after it's submitted to the participating travel loyalty program?
No. Points Transfer requests cannot be cancelled or reversed. Once your ThankYou Points are transferred, the resulting rewards currency of the participating travel loyalty program cannot be converted or transferred back to ThankYou Points
5. Do the ThankYou® Points that I transfer expire, have blackout dates, or any other restrictions?
Once transferred, the ThankYou Points become the reward currency of the participating travel loyalty program and are subject to the terms and conditions of that participating travel loyalty program. Please check the terms and conditions of the participating travel loyalty program involved in your transfer for details regarding restrictions and other terms.
6. Can all ThankYou® Points be transferred?
No, taxable points and points that are made unavailable for redemption due to signs of fraud, abuse or suspicious activity in your ThankYou Member Account or due to your failure to make the required minimum payment due on your participating Citi® credit card account by the payment due date are not eligible for Points Transfer. Taxable points are points received for a Citibank checking relationship, points obtained through activity unrelated to purchases made with your eligible Citi credit card, as well as bonus points that may be awarded with no spend requirements such as opening new Citi accounts or for signing up for new credit card account services.
7. What travel loyalty programs currently participate in Points Transfer?
The participating travel loyalty programs are:
1. Asia Miles
2. Etihad Guest
3. EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
4. Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer
5. Hilton HHonors™
6. Malaysia Airlines Enrich
7. Qatar Airways Privilege Club
8. Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
9. Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus

8. Is there a minimum number of ThankYou® Points required in order to transfer points into participating travel loyalty programs?
The minimum number of ThankYou Points that you can transfer is 1,000. Transfers must be made in 1,000 ThankYou Point increments.
9. Is there a maximum limit to the number of ThankYou® Points that may be transferred?
There is no maximum limit to the number of available qualifying ThankYou Points that you can transfer.
10. Is there a limit to the number of times I can transfer ThankYou® Points into participating travel loyalty programs?
There is no limit to the number of times you can transfer ThankYou Citi Rewards Points.
11. Is there a fee to use Points Transfer?
No, currently there is no fee to transfer ThankYou Points when using Points Transfer.
12. How long will it take for my ThankYou® Points to post to my participating travel loyalty program member account after I request a transfer?
It may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account.
13. How long will it take for my ThankYou Points to be deducted from my ThankYou Member Account after I request a transfer?
ThankYou Points will be deducted immediately from your ThankYou Member Account.
14. Can ThankYou Points be transferred to a participating travel loyalty program member account that is not in my name?
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
15. Where can I read the full terms and conditions of Points Transfer?
See Terms & Conditions
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs) can now be transferred to some airlines 1:1

Just saw this today while browsing ThankYou.com but couldn't find a post on FT about it.

https://www.thankyou.com/partnerProgramsListing.jspx

You can now transfer to the following airlines at 1:1 in 1,000 miles increments

Cathay Asia Miles
Eva Air Infinity MileageLands
Etihad Guest
Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer
Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus

No AA/US unfortunately .
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by piyush
Just saw this today while browsing ThankYou.com but couldn't find a post on FT about it.

https://www.thankyou.com/partnerProgramsListing.jspx

You can now transfer to the following airlines at 1:1 in 1,000 miles increments

Cathay Asia Miles
Eva Air Infinity MileageLands
Etihad Guest
Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer
Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus

No AA/US unfortunately .
I hope the list expands, pronto. This is still not a very competitive and appealing list
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I reckon SQ is the only worthwhile transfer partner (moreso after recent TG deval)... but even then not ideal. not sure how CX redemption rates are and most of the other ones that you'd wanna fly (like EY, QR) have ridiculous redemption rates for their own FFPs and it'd be a waste to transfer to em -- unless you just had a few millie thankyou points laying around, collecting dust.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by piyush
No AA/US unfortunately .
Not surprising. Citi does not want Premier or Prestige to cannibalize their AAdvantage cards. Prestige cardholders are compensated by the $0.016/point preferential rate when redeeming TYP for AA/US flights, but I don't see this as a good tradeoff for losing the ability to earn two points per dollar on general spending through the Flight Points mechanism.

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I hope the list expands, pronto.
It is surprising that there is not even one USA or European-based carrier, but they do have all three alliances covered. I doubt there will be any additions to the list this year, unless something appears in the next few days due to a site editing error. Citi has been working on this for a few years. I think we have to take this at face value.

Last edited by mia; Jul 21, 2014 at 9:23 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Interesting that it shows I can transfer 54K of my 69K current TY points. It's impossible (afaik) to tell which current points in my account came from where, but in the last 12 months, I've earned 36K points from banking, 46K points from CCs, and redeemed 32K points for travel.

It seems like at least SOME of my points available for transfer must be from banking. If so, that could be huge.

What can I do with 50K miles in any of these programs? I haven't heard of most of them. Seems a shame there are no US/EU carriers.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by roki
... I haven't heard of most of them.
Signapore Airlines was recently added as a Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partner. Some relevant discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...r-partner.html

Continuing here at post 108:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22908206-post108.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:02 am

Interesting that it shows I can transfer 54K of my 69K current TY points. It's impossible (afaik) to tell which current points in my account came from where, but in the last 12 months, I've earned 36K points from banking, 46K points from CCs, and redeemed 32K points for travel.

It seems like at least SOME of my points available for transfer must be from banking. If so, that could be huge.

What can I do with 50K miles in any of these programs? I haven't heard of most of them. Seems a shame there are no US/EU carriers.
Exactly, quite disappointing

I talked to a citi CSR about this today, she didn't know much and transferred me to a "redneck," thank you travel representative who knew even less besides what we already know. Why do they hire such people for their "travel" department? I don't mean to be rude but I doubt the guy knew much more able travel then going to the local lake outside Nashville or wherever he's from (not to mention the mainly middle eastern airlines that ended up being citi's transfer partners

[
These partner options kind of suck. Any chance this may be part 1 and part 2 maybe announced in October or so . I sure hope so because if this is it then this is kind of childish on the part of citi

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 21, 2014 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:14 am

...not to mention the mainly middle eastern airlines that ended up being citi's transfer partners
Considering the largest single investor in Citi is from the UAE (I believe), I'm not surprised. The transfer partners are, near as I can tell, catered strongly to Citigroup's client demographic (Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian).

<---Former Citi employee for 4 years

I looked at SQ, but it doesn't seem like a good value for me, at least in the near future. Guess I'll keep on earning for now and see what happens.

One benefit that might be overlooked is the ability to cash out huge amounts of thankyou points without getting Citi's absurd 1099.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:15 am
mia

I talked to a citi CSR about this
What did you hope to learn? It would be good to know if the transfers are instantaneous, but otherwise Citi isn't involved once a transfer is performed.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
What did you hope to learn? It would be good to know if the transfers are instantaneous, but otherwise Citi isn't involved once a transfer is performed.
As I mentioned already, I am quite disappointed in their airline partner choices, so this was my way of voicing my disappointment to them as well as seeing if they heard of any plans to add more meaningful partners
This is even more disappointing than the time when Chase kept stalling with putting an EMV chip into CSP (for no real reason as it turns out) and it doesn't even have real pin capability
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:44 am

Considering the largest single investor in Citi is from the UAE (I believe), I'm not surprised. The transfer partners are, near as I can tell, catered strongly to Citigroup's client demographic (Asian, Middle Eastern, Indian).

<---Former Citi employee for 4 years

I looked at SQ, but it doesn't seem like a good value for me, at least in the near future. Guess I'll keep on earning for now and see what happens.

One benefit that might be overlooked is the ability to cash out huge amounts of thankyou points without getting Citi's absurd 1099.

That would be good but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't collect thank you points, instead choosing to invest my effort in AAdvantage
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:56 am

That would be good but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't collect thank you points, instead choosing to invest my effort in AAdvantage
Diversification in any portfolio is the best way to mitigate painful losses. AA is the best program IMO at the moment, but history shows devaluations are inevitable. I'm sitting on 250K+ AA miles, but I try to keep between 100K-250K points in all programs I use at any given time. If I dip below, I build into that program unless I have a specific redemption in mind. I MS $4K/mo (2x AP, 2x Serve), and split with SPG (1x or 1.25x AA), UR (1.07x UA), TY (2x), and Club Carlson (5x), which is a very low number, I know. But no GC/BB/Walmart required. TY points are absurdly easy to amass, especially if you have banking, a grandfathered Forward, and a huge flight point balance. That all looks like it's changing, though. It's too bad, because the flight points bonus was beastly. $1K MS + banking (3K) turned into 5K points per month, at 1.6x on US/AA is $80 per month in TY points. Lovely.

All that to say, every "investor" is different, but I'd be wary of putting all my eggs in one loyalty program basket.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:20 pm
mia

Only if they permit taxable points to be transferred, and they do not. There is no 1099 issue for points earned with credit cards. (I did read your earlier post, but I am inclined to think it is a bookkeeping error, not a policy change.)
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Only if they permit taxable points to be transferred, and they do not. There is no 1099 issue for points earned with credit cards. (I did read your earlier post, but I am inclined to think it is a bookkeeping error, not a policy change.)
Ah, and taxable is ONLY Banking? I'm curious to see if I get a 1099 this year, because I'll be redeeming well over $600 worth, but won't have earned 60K with banking. Also curious to see if they use the point total or the redemption value total (75K on US/AA = $750 or $1200?).

If my Earning + Redemption + Transferable balance isn't an error, it looks like they definitely use points earned with Banking/Taxable points first, which I guess makes sense. In a way that's nice, because you can burn through the banking points without decreasing the number you're able to transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.