Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:52 pm

Wish I could get my wife to call in. She never updated her address when we moved and used the new address on her app and they wanted tons of info from her. She said she didn't want to deal with it. Ughh...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:07 am

Called Citi to see the status of my second application and it was still pending no decision was made. I was thinking about pursuing further but decided not too. I called 1-877-216-1491. I guess when I had patty from SD on the phone I should have inquired about both.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Jetlagged Traveler
I applied for 2 of the same card yesterday to Step 5 using the Post 468 link. 2 separate calls today resulted in 2 approvals of $5000 & $9000.
Hey Jetlagged,
Just to confirm did Citi call you back twice or did you have to call them?
I applied for two yesterday and got one call today (approved). Not sure if i need to wait for the 2nd call or call them myself?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by goodmane
Hey Jetlagged,
Just to confirm did Citi call you back twice or did you have to call them?
I applied for two yesterday and got one call today (approved). Not sure if i need to wait for the 2nd call or call them myself?
They called me twice, I missed the calls, then they emailed me twice with instructions to call them back also. Each call and email had a unique reference number.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:16 pm

They called me twice, I missed the calls, then they emailed me twice with instructions to call them back also. Each call and email had a unique reference number.
Hmm ok. I got the first call but I didn't think to get a reference #. This was about 4 hours ago. Haven't gotten a call yet on the 2nd application. I guess i'll wait and see if they call me.

Wondering if I should call them on Monday if i don't hear back on the 2nd card? But if i do call, i'm kind of at a loss as to how to phrase the question. They may see that I was approved for the first card and then wonder why I'm calling to apply for a second one, etc.

Hmmmmm...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by goodmane
Hmm ok. I got the first call but I didn't think to get a reference #. This was about 4 hours ago. Haven't gotten a call yet on the 2nd application. I guess i'll wait and see if they call me.

Wondering if I should call them on Monday if i don't hear back on the 2nd card? But if i do call, i'm kind of at a loss as to how to phrase the question. They may see that I was approved for the first card and then wonder why I'm calling to apply for a second one, etc.

Hmmmmm...
I'm no expert, but, based on the things that I've read in all of the pages of this thread, they don't seem to care that you're getting 2 of the same cards. Some have said that they simply tell them that they would like to keep business and personal accounts separate if asked. However, as I've read, 2 cards has been of no issue to Citibank.

Good luck.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I'm no expert, but, based on the things that I've read in all of the pages of this thread, they don't seem to care that you're getting 2 of the same cards. Some have said that they simply tell them that they would like to keep business and personal accounts separate if asked. However, as I've read, 2 cards has been of no issue to Citibank.

Good luck.
+1 I just got approved for 2 cards and explained to them my accountant suggested to separate personal and business stuff for tax purposes to make his job easier

No problem they said
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 pm

When I applied using the 2 browsers for the same visa card, I called to confirm the bonuses for each card. CSR never asked me why I wanted two cards...but than again, this is my first time for Cit Hilton CC.

I am sure I will be asked when I churn the cards.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:22 am

I just got my reject letter from Citi on the 2nd card.

Thank you for applying for the Hilton HHonors(R) Visa(R)
Signature account. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve
your request for the account at this time because of the
following:
o You have the maximum amount of credit that can be issued
to an individual.

Time to call and hope Citi allows me to move some credit around.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by snugglening
I just got my reject letter from Citi on the 2nd card.

Thank you for applying for the Hilton HHonors(R) Visa(R)
Signature account. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve
your request for the account at this time because of the
following:
o You have the maximum amount of credit that can be issued
to an individual.

Time to call and hope Citi allows me to move some credit around.
Yep, move credit limit around or swap a credit card.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by metoo
Yep, move credit limit around or swap a credit card.
If one was to "swap a card" do you get the signup benefits of the card?

My address has 1/2 in it and I had to call Citi to change it... How should I apply for cards in the future? I remember you used to be able to log into your account and apply using your information but I cant seem to find that option anymore.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by poser
If one was to "swap a card" do you get the signup benefits of the card?

My address has 1/2 in it and I had to call Citi to change it... How should I apply for cards in the future? I remember you used to be able to log into your account and apply using your information but I cant seem to find that option anymore.

oops, what i mean by swap is that you close one of your Citi Credit card to open a new one so you end up with the same number of credit cards from citi

sorry for the confusion
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poser
The app form is redesigned. Gone is the old feature which you can used an existing citi card to get the system pre-populated with your name and address.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:18 pm

Good luck.
I called back today and they approved the second card! Woohoo....no questions asked on the second card and she confirmed that they were both 50k HH points for $1500 in 6 months.

The only 'oops' was not calling back in the same day, and now i potentially have two separate hits on my credit. Oh well.

Thanks guys & good luck to everyone else!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:50 pm

Hey guys, I have a few questions, and sorry if they've been answered but I read half this thread and still cant really find a definitive answer.

Situation- Did 2 browser trick today for the 2 Citi HHonors cards, 50K and 40K. I got the your application needs further review screen. Its been 90+ days since my last Citi App, in which I did the 2 browser trick for the AA cards, and my credit scores are currently in the 770s. If I get denied, Im assuming its going to be based on too many inquiries or too much credit from the AA cards, both of which I should be able to have a fighting shot to get overturned.

With that all being said, my questions are as follows:

1) Should I call the recon line today/tomorrow and immediately have them look into it? That is what I normally would do however I am hearing some people say that Citi will manually look into it and notify me, since they havent actually denied me, just didnt instantly approve the apps.

2) If I do get denied, can I call the recon lines after the denial and then state my case? I know the scenario in Question 1 provides a more proactive attack vs. this one but just wanted to know if we can do that.

3) This is my most important question that I cant find the answer to. If I call the recon line, how do I know which of the 2 apps I sent in are being pulled up and being discussed??? Do they just look up my info and say oh we see you applied for 2 apps today. (Unfortunately if there was a reference number, I forgot to write it down so Im assuming they will pull me up by SS# or something similar.)

So basically how do they know which one of the 2 apps I am calling about and how do I tell them that? Should I just tell them I applied for 2 cards, (one to keep business and personal expenses separate) or will that get me in trouble. I would think that whenever they took my SS and looked it up, they are going to see the 2 apps. Is that the case or are they only seeing 1? I have heard several people say do 1, then call back and do the other, but I just dont know how to identify the 2.

thanks in advance, I really do appreciate anyones help on the best method here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.