Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
No kidding. You do not think he is doing it for fun?
well i have to say it is fun, but would not be doing it if it was not for the bonus pts.

the wife keeps telling me this just does not seem right, i keep explaining to her that the large banks really want us to fly up front in the plane and stay at nice hotels for next to nothing
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:24 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by particlemn
i keep explaining to her that the large banks really want us to fly up front in the plane and stay at nice hotels for next to nothing
It's lonely in the front of the plane and they want the company. (We're glad to help.)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by particlemn
well i have to say it is fun, but would not be doing it if it was not for the bonus pts.

the wife keeps telling me this just does not seem right, i keep explaining to her that the large banks really want us to fly up front in the plane and stay at nice hotels for next to nothing
That is my point - you wouldn't do it had it had no bonus. It is oh so obvious!

Not different from the old days when one can do a pair of AA cards just like that... and back then the AA miles could transfer to HHonor at 1:2... so the same 20K AA miles would be 40K HHonor pts in the good old days.

Just tell wify this is the pay back of your tax money that is involuntarily used to bail out the banks and the reckless borrowers while you and wify are doing the right thing to be financially responsible.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
No kidding. You do not think he is doing it for fun?

You should have learned by now, Citi keeps people at the gate, such as the AA cards, versus Chase would happily let you in but may not let you graze... The 2 banks operate in 2 complete opposite ways.

With Citi as long as you get your little plastic in hand, the rest is a sure thing.
At the Gate . Sound like a open gate to me . He got 6 cards in over 2 years

I just cancelled 2 AA 75k Cards in the last month . Now I can get 2 new ones in 5 months for another 100K plus a Biz card for 150K

Keep em coming
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:34 am

That is my point - you wouldn't do it had it had no bonus. It is oh so obvious!
dont worry i understood, just thought i would comment incase someone reading above did not understand your wit.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Obvious question but I have to ask, and you received bonus 4 times and confirmed bonus on the 2 new cards?
Obvious is the first word on my OP LOL Keep em coming
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:38 am

Keep em coming
read post 167, i have been trying to share this windfall for quite a while, many people just dont find the value in hilton pts i find. like next april have 8 nights at waldorf hilton london for 300k and already secured upgrade to exec king via email to the property
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just cancelled 2 AA 75k Cards in the last month . Now I can get 2 new ones in 5 months for another 100K plus a Biz card for 150K

Keep em coming
That is exactly my point - once Citi let you in, you are golden.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
How many cards do you guys have with Citi and still successfully get more? I've got 6 currently, think I can get 2 more? It's a little late for me to cancel and put the existing credit lines back into the "pool", so I'm thinking just to go for it and try get 2 more and see what they say. Total credit line not exceeding 25k currently
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa
How many cards do you guys have with Citi and still successfully get more? I've got 6 currently, think I can get 2 more? It's a little late for me to cancel and put the existing credit lines back into the "pool", so I'm thinking just to go for it and try get 2 more and see what they say. Total credit line not exceeding 25k currently
Why not reducing credit limit on those cancellable cards to $1,000 or so?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
Why not reducing credit limit on those cancellable cards to $1,000 or so?
Would that go back into the "pool" instantly? I was thinking just having them open and then try to have CSR re-allocate or close if needed.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:08 pm

Would that go back into the "pool" instantly? I was thinking just having them open and then try to have CSR re-allocate or close if needed.
Better off leaving them and offering them up to cancel when you get new cards . Citi does not like to move CL around upon cancellation in my experience.

They prefer to move CL to a new app and then you can mention that old card
does not really work for you, and they may add to that CL

Thats what happened to me at least
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:13 pm

Better off leaving them and offering them up to cancel when you get new cards . Citi does not like to move CL around upon cancellation in my experience.

They prefer to move CL to a new app and then you can mention that old card
does not really work for you, and they may add to that CL

Thats what happened to me at least
Thanks.

Do they only move partial CLs from old cards? Or do they move (almost) entire CLs and cancel as well (a la Chase)?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they only move partial CLs from old cards? Or do they move (almost) entire CLs and cancel as well (a la Chase)?
In general, they certainly can move partial CLs from old cards, but we can't guarantee that they can do it in your specific case if you've got less than 25k spread among 6 cards.

So I would suggest being prepared with knowing which cards to nominate for moving, and which cards to nominate if you have to move and cancel on the call. You may or may not have to move and cancel, but it's better to know what you'll answer ahead of time rather than being surprised by the question and giving the wrong answer in a panic.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In general, they certainly can move partial CLs from old cards, but we can't guarantee that they can do it in your specific case if you've got less than 25k spread among 6 cards.

So I would suggest being prepared with knowing which cards to nominate for moving, and which cards to nominate if you have to move and cancel on the call. You may or may not have to move and cancel, but it's better to know what you'll answer ahead of time rather than being surprised by the question and giving the wrong answer in a panic.
Oh I know which ones can go, like 4 of them can go. I just completely forgot Citi doesn't work like Chase and didn't get around to canceling. Plus, I wasn't planning on applying for more till another 2 months later, but "things" changed.

Yea the 25k limit is a bummer. Citi is only bank stingy with giving me CL.

Thanks for input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.