Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I used the same name, address, email and everything. I wonder in the future if it is better to use slight variations in name, address, different email, etc.
Changing such things might cause issues that have to fixed later on, or denials for otthers reasons. Your info has to match what's on your credit report or else it throws up red flags. (Obviously, your email isn't on the credit report, but things like name and even address are.)

Anyway, keep in mind that with HHonors (as opposed to AA), all the "two browser type trick" gains you is likelihood of a single pull. Unlike AA, there is no "first-time" clause on this card. So you can try again for the second card in 65ish days (the only limit you have to get past is max two apps -- whether approved or denied -- in any "60 day" period, except that Citi doesn't count 60 days accurately, so we recommend at least 65). So unless you can do $1500 x 2 spend so fast that you were plannng to apply for 2 cards every 2 months, you have another chance for the second card in about 2 months.

Except for the number of pulls, 2 cards at the same time every 4ish months is the same thing as 1 card at a time every 2ish months.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Sad to report my 2 browser trick got the first one approved, but the 2nd one denied for "duplicate application". The denial was via a letter several weeks after the application. Two browsers were IE and Chrome and sent a few seconds apart. First application was instantly approved and 2nd one said, needs further review. I used the same name, address, email and everything. I wonder in the future if it is better to use slight variations in name, address, different email, etc.
Others have reported having an existing HH Citi card and getting approved for 2 using the 2 browser thing. You may want to consider calling Citi and asking them to re-consider the second card. You could tell them that it is not a dupe, that you really want the 2nd card.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Jul 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:03 pm

def call in. Its a very good chance you will get both cards. I wasn't instantly approved, then a few days later they called me and wanted to move around some credit, also asked me if I meant to apply for the cards twice.. They didst hassle me at all. Citi has great CS.

this is the email i got confirming to 50K offer:

Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:03 pm

I wonder in the future if it is better to use slight variations in name, address, different email, etc.
If you use a different name (such as adding a middle name or initial), you cannot by default tie the new card account to an existing Citi login. Tech support can fix this, though, if you call & ask.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Continuing post-336, both cards arrived 6 days later!
Just hit $1.5K spend trigger for (2) browser trick HHonors Vissa cards. Have trip Aug 16--27. Any way to expedite access to 2x50K=100K pts.? Phone rep. said paying off balances immediately would not do it -- true or false? Hope to hear from someone that knows how! Thanks!

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just hit $1.5K spend trigger for (2) browser trick HHonors Vissa cards. Have trip Aug 16--27. Any way to expedite access to 2x50K=100K pts.? Phone rep. said paying off balances immediately would not do it -- true or false? Hope to hear from someone that knows how! Thanks!
I really don't think a payment has anything to do with it at all.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:30 am

I think some people change their statement/payment date to get points to post faster on various cards. Not sure if that would work for this particular card.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, the bonus posts with the statement, not between statements. (And it generally posts whether you've prepaid the statement or not, though some people feel more secure prepaying. But in any case, even if you prepay, you still have to wait for the statement to close!) So when does your next statement print on each card? The miles will show up in your AA account a day or so later.

(And you generaly can't change the statement close date on a statement already in progress. Any changes to the statement close date tend to take at least one full statement cycle to take effect.)

But will you actually be able to redeem that close in? You'll pay a big "close-in" award booking fee (unless you're elite enough), and there won't necessarily be award availability anyway (except at 2x "anytime" levels, of course). So I'm not clear how it would necesarily help to get the miles a few days before?

Or is it because you're planning to redeem at the "anytime" (2x) level for a last-minute trip?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:17 am

My bonus posted a couple of days after spend, long before bill was due and before paying. Can't check the dates for you bc I'm sitting on the Tarmac about to take off. But for me it came very quickly.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Payment has nothing to do with point posting.

Points show up at statement close date if the spend to meet requirement is posted a few days before statement closing date, because if it is too close, it may not trigger the bonus on the same statement cycle. With Citi that is 2+ days, with Chase that is a week.

Change statement closing date usually does not take effect until NEXT cycle. Too often this method backfires badly, i.e. the worst case before changing statement date would be close to the full cycle to see one's bonus but after change statement date it become TWO full cycles. Do it at your own risk.

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
My bonus posted a couple of days after spend, long before bill was due and before paying. Can't check the dates for you bc I'm sitting on the Tarmac about to take off. But for me it came very quickly.
You have the "short cycle" for your 1st statement. Sometimes the cycle is so short that the card arrives on the statement date or a day or 2 before statement close date. Over the years with Citicard, this type of scenario happens about 30% of the time fwiw.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But will you actually be able to redeem that close in? You'll pay a big "close-in" award booking fee (unless you're elite enough), and there won't necessarily be award availability anyway (except at 2x "anytime" levels, of course). So I'm not clear how it would necesarily help to get the miles a few days before?

Or is it because you're planning to redeem at the "anytime" (2x) level for a last-minute trip?
You confuse the Citi AA cards with Citi HHonor cards. I dont think HHonor booking has any close-in fee. But availability would be an issue at close-in just the same.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
You confuse the Citi AA cards with Citi HHonor cards. I dont think HHonor booking has any close-in fee. But availability would be an issue at close-in just the same.
No, what I actually got confused is which thread I was in. Obviously, there is no "anytime" booking of HHonors awards either. I thought I was answering a question about the Citi AA card, not the HHonors card. Oops.

(I answered it better when I ran into 100% the same question over in the HHonors forum. The OP asked the same question in two different threads. I thought, when I saw it the second, they'd asked about AA in one thread and HHonors in the other thread, but now I realize it was 100% the same quesiton in both threads.)

See here for the OPs cross-post and separate replies:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...te-points.html
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Silver
Another data point. Applied 2X on 7/25. Instant approval. Got the approval letters today. Waiting for the cards to show up to confirm the 50k bonus.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I did a 7card AOR for my wife and all but 2 cards have been approved. Two identical Citi HHonors cards via the 2-browser trick. I've been pestering her to call Citi since she applied 2 weeks ago and today we received a letter in the mail asking for bank statements, phone bills, pay stubs, etc. Probably because she never updated her address with Citi when we moved over a month ago and they couldn't verify her identity. She claims that it didn't work when she tried weeks ago, but it worked fine for me the first time and that's when I asked her to do it. It worked fine for her when she changed it a few days ago after I got wind of it. We'll probably not get 1 card and maybe not both. Bummer.
So today I got a letter from Citi congratulating my wife on her Citi HHonors card. So 1 of them have been approved and the other is waiting for her to send in a crap ton of documents... Any chance we could call and note that they approved 1 already or should we send everything in?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:35 pm

For you guys who got approved? Do you guys have alot of credit card apps int he last 6 -12 months?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by superking
For you guys who got approved? Do you guys have alot of credit card apps int he last 6 -12 months?
11 cards in the last 6-7 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.