Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:29 pm
Used to be 'cfras701'

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I signed up for the 40K and $50 bonus in March and was able to SM them and get 50K and $50

If you SM and ask chances are they match the 60K offer
Today I sent a SM asking to bump me from the 50K offer which I got on April 17th, to the 60K offer - and it was denied.

This is what they said in their response:
"On 4/17/14 your account was enrolled in an offer to earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000.00 within 4 months. This offer expires on 8/17/14. Unfortunately, we are unable to change the offer on your account or add the additional points. Although we have been unable to resolve this issue to your satisfaction we do appreciate the time you have taken to communicate with us"

Has anyone had any luck with bumping the bonus?
Carla
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by cfras701
Today I sent a SM asking to bump me from the 50K offer which I got on April 17th, to the 60K offer - and it was denied.

"On 4/17/14 your account was enrolled in an offer to earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000.00 within 4 months. This offer expires on 8/17/14. Unfortunately, we are unable to change the offer on your account or add the additional points. Although we have been unable to resolve this issue to your satisfaction we do appreciate the time you have taken to communicate with us"

Carla
I haven't gotten a reply yet, but now I'm hoping they refuse to bump me since it didn't occur to me that might cause me to lose the $50 credit. I've got an upcoming paid stay at a Hilton and $50 cash is generally worth more to me than 10,000 Hilton points.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by cfras701

Carla
Asking for a better bonus 6 weeks later may be the problem.

I applied for the 40K /$50 statement credit and 2 days later the 50k/$50 offer came out and I was granted the better bonus via SM
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:22 pm
Used to be 'cfras701'

Thanks Flyer4512; probably a better strategy would be for me to apply for the 60K version of this card before the 65days are up.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Just to add a data point:

Applied for the 60k offer today. Got a "good" pending message (I let me go through the options after the application). Called in and was immediately approved, didn't have to shift CLs around. 10 HPs on my Experian. Applied for a Chase Hyatt card at the same time (instant approval on that one).

Already held four Citi cards:

AA Personal, opened 7/25/13.
AA Personal, opened 8/3/13.
AA Biz, opened 1/12/14.
Hilton, opened 2/6/14.

Hoping to apply for another 60k Hilton card after 8 days though that might be risky since I now have 12 HPs on my Experian report. That would give me enough for a FNF at the Conrad HKG.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Just to add a data point:

Applied for the 60k offer today. Got a "good" pending message (I let me go through the options after the application). Called in and was immediately approved, didn't have to shift CLs around. 10 HPs on my Experian. Applied for a Chase Hyatt card at the same time (instant approval on that one).

Already held four Citi cards:

AA Personal, opened 7/25/13.
AA Personal, opened 8/3/13.
AA Biz, opened 1/12/14.
Hilton, opened 2/6/14.

Hoping to apply for another 60k Hilton card after 8 days though that might be risky since I now have 12 HPs on my Experian report. That would give me enough for a FNF at the Conrad HKG.
wow- I wonder the rhyme or reason to citi - truly YMMV- I had no where near the HP's you did, credit score last month was 791, 6 figure income, some of my non citi cards have very high CL (15-30k) - any chance I would be better off reducing those CL when I reapply in a month or two?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Scotttyd
wow- I wonder the rhyme or reason to citi - truly YMMV- I had no where near the HP's you did, credit score last month was 791, 6 figure income, some of my non citi cards have very high CL (15-30k) - any chance I would be better off reducing those CL when I reapply in a month or two?
I have no idea. I figured that app was basically a coin toss. My income is only high five-figures and none of my non-Citi CLs are above $15k.

My AAoA is only 2 years 7 months. I"m planning on taking a break for at *least* 12 months after this round of apps. After the Citi card I also applied for another Barclays US Air as well which brings my total accounts up to 19 (14 are credit cards). Since Barclays always pulls TU I figured that one was safe.

Plus, my available credit is now greater than my income. I've heard that can make more apps difficult but I'm not sure if there's any concrete basis for that belief.

Still going back and forth on whether I should go for one last Hilton card next week. It's either that or I MS my way to another 60k points.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:21 am

I have no idea. I figured that app was basically a coin toss. My income is only high five-figures and none of my non-Citi CLs are above $15k.

My AAoA is only 2 years 7 months. I"m planning on taking a break for at *least* 12 months after this round of apps. After the Citi card I also applied for another Barclays US Air as well which brings my total accounts up to 19 (14 are credit cards). Since Barclays always pulls TU I figured that one was safe.

Plus, my available credit is now greater than my income. I've heard that can make more apps difficult but I'm not sure if there's any concrete basis for that belief.

Still going back and forth on whether I should go for one last Hilton card next week. It's either that or I MS my way to another 60k points.
I will likely need to stop applying by the end of this year - looking at possibly buying a house - want to give at least 12 months for things to settle down. Right now just trying to bank up as many points as I can until I need to stop
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:48 am

I will likely need to stop applying by the end of this year - looking at possibly buying a house - want to give at least 12 months for things to settle down. Right now just trying to bank up as many points as I can until I need to stop
I don't have any mortgage or auto loan on my horizon, just afraid that getting greedy might get me burned.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: All of em...
Long live the Hilton cards!
Just spent 359,800 points on 44 free nights next year at Hilton hotels spread out across Egypt, with 11 of those nights being all-inclusive hotels.

Still need to grab a couple of these 60k cards to book the last 8 nights there.

Last edited by x712xdamx; Jun 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

I lower the CL on every card I get to $5k right after I meet the spend, since the balance will remain at zero there is no issue with % of available credit effecting my score.

I'm going to hold off until July and then grab another one before 8/31.

Interesting thing is lately this offer has improved every time one offer expires,

First ( recent) offer was 40K, then 50K, then 50K + $50 Hilton credit now 60K plus $25 various car rental credit

Just an FYI, the 50K plus $50 credit that was supposed to expire 5/31 is still working

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...553FEAB47CB363

Last edited by philemer; Jun 2, 2014 at 4:29 pm Reason: Just click edit when you want to add additional info to a post
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Plus, my available credit is now greater than my income. I've heard that can make more apps difficult but I'm not sure if there's any concrete basis for that belief...
My available credit is well over twice my income, and while I get occasional denials for too many cards with one issuer or too many hard pulls, I'm still collecting CCs -- eleven last year and eight so far this year. So maybe there's not a solid basis for that claim.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
My available credit is well over twice my income, and while I get occasional denials for too many cards with one issuer or too many hard pulls, I'm still collecting CCs -- eleven last year and eight so far this year. So maybe there's not a solid basis for that claim.
My bigger concern is that my low AAoA will become a problem. 19 accounts is a lot for a relatively young credit file.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Same except 3x income and after I speak to them they approve ALL the time except BARCLAYS -- have 25 cards open --but my credit history is 50 years and that sure helps

YET-- I Did Citi a Hilton 60k yesterday and plan another in 8days -- have 5 cards open with them one for 30 years -- did not get approved as they need to verify my resident address!!!!-- own/live same home 25 years+ - not worried as I will be approved -- also they approved me for 2 cards on the 8-65 days ago method --and I have not moved!!--I find each bank has own personality(QUIRKS) towards c.c.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Same except 3x income and after I speak to them they approve ALL the time except BARCLAYS -- have 25 cards open --but my credit history is 50 years and that sure helps

YET-- I Did Citi a Hilton 60k yesterday and plan another in 8days -- have 5 cards open with them one for 30 years -- did not get approved as they need to verify my resident address!!!!-- own/live same home 25 years+ - not worried as I will be approved -- also they approved me for 2 cards on the 8-65 days ago method --and I have not moved!!--I find each bank has own personality(QUIRKS) towards c.c.
I received a message along those lines on my "pending" page two days ago. I figured it was because I actually did move four months ago but perhaps it's just their generic message. In the end, the agent didn't ask any questions, I read her the application ID and she immediately approved it.

Not really sure what the point of the whole thing was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.