Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Why don't you call Citi and try tracking the application with the SSN?

Originally Posted by Flygirl98
Hi Everyone!

My daughter applied for the 60K offer today. After she submitted her application she received the following:
1)"Gateway Time-out:The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server" -- followed by
2)"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Please try again later."
She did not received an email from citi after she applied-- has anyone had this happen to them before? I'm not familiar with all the computer lingo and don't know if this means they didn't receive her application or if they received it but it will take a while for them to process it. Suggestions? Reapply? Call? Wait for the mail? I don't want to chance it counting as two hard pulls. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old May 27, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
My timing was off by a couple of days. Now I have to wait until June 19 to go for 60K, if it's still around.
I signed up for the 40K and $50 bonus in March and was able to SM them and get 50K and $50

Originally Posted by allanfan
I wonder if anyone recently applied the 50K had any luck SM to get a bump?
If you SM and ask chances are they match the 60K offer

Originally Posted by Wakinguptooearly
How many of these do you guys have open? When should I start closing a few...
I have 4 open, applying for HH Visa # 14 in late June, may close 1 first.

I make my CL $5k when I activate the cards, this is the most HH cards I have ever had open. I have never even had to go to reconsideration thus far.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by carofly
Why don't you call Citi and try tracking the application with the SSN?
We tried that but it after keying in her phone number it stated "your response is not understood" --which to me sounds like they didn't receive her application. So while it's possible they didn't receive the application, I'm thinking its also possible they did receive it but just haven't processed the information yet. Would she be better off calling or reapplying online?
Old May 27, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You will find the information in HHonors forum or HHonors website.

FYI, the highest category requires 90K a night in high season.

At the same time, you could get 5 nights at a very decent Double Tree in Kuala Lumpur and still have 10K left as it is 10K a night and 5th night free if you own an AMEX HHonor card.

As for all the miles and points programs, the value all depends on how you use those currencies.

We often need airport hotels which Hilton seem to have properties in several airports we often pass by - in US the LAX and SFO both are 30K properties. You would be hard pressed to find hotels at LAX or SFO below $150 a night even thru Price Line.

Both CDG and FCO have nice Hilton close to the terminals - they are 40K properties with FCO goes to 50K in the high season. You would need to pay 120 to 150 Euro for airport hotels in those airports.

At the same time, a Hampton Inn in DC, albeit a very nice one, now costs 60K (was 40K before devaluation.) But then hotels in DC are expensive, almost as expensive as in NYC - like $300 a night is common place in DC when it would be more like $400 and up a night in NYC.

So you really need to know your own travel needs to determine how much these points "worth" to you, or rather, save you real money.
The Pointe properties in PHX are nice and Hilton bought them a few years ago. I was surprised that even in December, when the AZ weather is beautiful, they go for 30k/night. That's not a bad deal. But citi creeps me out for some reason. Not sure Ill stay with this one after the bonus.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:30 am

We tried that but it after keying in her phone number it stated "your response is not understood" --which to me sounds like they didn't receive her application. So while it's possible they didn't receive the application, I'm thinking its also possible they did receive it but just haven't processed the information yet. Would she be better off calling or reapplying online?
Hi Everyone-- A followup to my daughter's application:

She called citi this morning and was told they received her application yesterday and she was approved for the card. The automated phone line was still not recognizing her phone number, so she waited for a CSR who was able to pull up the application right away. If she had resubmitted her application online (which was almost a gut instinct) she would have wasted a HP. Maybe something in the general citi wiki should let people know not to resubmit their application but to call first and talk to a CSR if they should get the same "..system error..."? Just a thought...

Cheers!!
Old May 28, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hi Everyone-- A followup to my daughter's application:

She called citi this morning and was told they received her application yesterday and she was approved for the card. The automated phone line was still not recognizing her phone number, so she waited for a CSR who was able to pull up the application right away. If she had resubmitted her application online (which was almost a gut instinct) she would have wasted a HP. Maybe something in the general citi wiki should let people know not to resubmit their application but to call first and talk to a CSR if they should get the same "..system error..."? Just a thought...

Cheers!!
Sorry I didn't see your posts in time to respond. This has happened to me in the past, and my advice would have been to do exactly what you did.

She wouldn't have gotten another HP, since Citi would have rejected it as a "duplicate app" before they got that far. Better to not have the duplicate rejection though. Glad she got the card.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: All of em...
60k! This is like the never ending party over here!
Old May 29, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Sorry I didn't see your posts in time to respond. This has happened to me in the past, and my advice would have been to do exactly what you did.

She wouldn't have gotten another HP, since Citi would have rejected it as a "duplicate app" before they got that far. Better to not have the duplicate rejection though. Glad she got the card.
Thanks Brugge! So to clarify, if Citi rejects a "duplicate app" it will not count as a HP -- but will it count as a Citi app? Also if Citi rejects you for already having the card (ie: AA) does that auto rejection count as a HP? Or just a Citi app?
Old May 29, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks Brugge! So to clarify, if Citi rejects a "duplicate app" it will not count as a HP -- but will it count as a Citi app? Also if Citi rejects you for already having the card (ie: AA) does that auto rejection count as a HP? Or just a Citi app?
AFAIK, a denial for a "duplicate app" does not get another HP, and does not count as a Citi app for purposes of 8/65 days. They basically consider it never even happened.

Likewise an app in violation of the 8/65 rule, as Citi will not even consider it. So no HP.

But a denial by Citi for reasons of credit history, too many apps, violating the 8/65 rule,, etc. will still be considered an app by Citi, so you have to wait another 65 days before applying to Citi again. Even if it's your only app within the last 65 days, you cannot just wait 8 days to apply again, you have to wait a full 65 days after a denied app that they actually considered.

Already having the card is a grey area for me. It probably doesn't get an HP, but I'm not sure if it resets the 65 days or not. I think it does. Of course, I'm not referring to when a clueless CSR just says you were rejected because you can't have another card, when in fact it was something else like too many apps, etc. I'm only talking about something like applying for a 50K AA card that can only be approved with no other AA cards in the last 18 months.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
But a denial by Citi for reasons of credit history, too many apps, violating the 8/65 rule,, etc. will still be considered an app by Citi, so you have to wait another 65 days before applying to Citi again. Even if it's your only app within the last 65 days, you cannot just wait 8 days to apply again, you have to wait a full 65 days after a denied app that they actually considered.
Say what? You're making it sound like the clock works differently for denied apps than for approved apps. It doesn't.

You can do no more than one application (approved or denied) in any 8 day period.

You can do no more than two applications (approved or denied) in any 65 day period.

So if you haven't applied for any Citi cards except one, even if you're denied, you're only subject to the 8 day clock. It's only if you've applied twice that you're subject to the 65 day clock (from the first of those two applications).
Old May 29, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Say what? You're making it sound like the clock works differently for denied apps than for approved apps. It doesn't.

You can do no more than one application (approved or denied) in any 8 day period.

You can do no more than two applications (approved or denied) in any 65 day period.

So if you haven't applied for any Citi cards except one, even if you're denied, you're only subject to the 8 day clock. It's only if you've applied twice that you're subject to the 65 day clock (from the first of those two applications).
That's true. Although I'm not sure it does make sense to apply 8 days after being denied.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have 4 open, applying for HH Visa # 14 in late June, may close 1 first.

I make my CL $5k when I activate the cards, this is the most HH cards I have ever had open. I have never even had to go to reconsideration thus far.
For my 3rd card, I had to call in. Would you say that's a good time to close a card before applying to the next one?
Old May 30, 2014, 12:44 pm

The 60k offer... is this only for the $5k CL min Visa Signature card, or can you get the 60k offer with a lower card level/CL?

Just curious because I've hit my exposure limit with Citi at 30k and I have a number of cards I could transfer from with CLs around $2k, $2500, etc.
Old May 30, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Scotttyd
after receiving our bonus - how long should I keep the card open? Currently I have 4 open (one was my original one from 3 years ago and three were opened this year). For credit history standpoints, I will keep the original one open. I don't want to leave too many open - too much at risk for fraud, etc. After opening the last one, I moved most of the credit limit from the first one to it.
didn't see a response to this - anyone have suggestions?
Old May 30, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

after receiving our bonus - how long should I keep the card open?
In and of itself, it doesn't much matter, as long as all the points have already posted and the balance is $0.
Currently I have 4 open (one was my original one from 3 years ago and three were opened this year). For credit history standpoints, I will keep the original one open. I don't want to leave too many open - too much at risk for fraud, etc. After opening the last one, I moved most of the credit limit from the first one to it.
I don't know why other would a risk for fraud. However, you are at some point at risk for saying either that you have too many of their cards already or too much total credit limit used.

Now, you can avoid the "too many Citi cards" issue by closing at any time.

However, you can generally only pull credit for a new card from an existing card that you still have open, if they can't get enough from your "general pool" of credit limit. But the credit limit from a card you cancel may not return its credit limit to the credit pool for 3 to 6 months.

So you should probably cancel your HH cards starting with the one that has the lowest credit limit (of the ones on which all the points have already posted). Then a while later do the same thing again (on the remaining lowest-credit-limit card). Repeat this until you're at the point where you like the number of HH cards you have open.

(I generally don't keep more than one "used up" HH card open along with one new one. But that's because I have a no-annual-fee Citi card of another type that I've had for decades, as my Citi "long history" card, so I don't need any of my HH cards to serve that purpose. You may want to do it a bit differently if you've put aside one HH card as the one you're going to build "long history" with at Citi.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.