Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I typically spend $400 plus on my 8 night reward stay at the tiki bar and restaurant here.

http://doubletreebeachresort.com/

How is getting $50 free a poor value ? If the place is so overpriced just spend $50.

Even HGI have concession areas and restaurants so at Hilton, Doubletree and HGI you can easily spend $50. I can't think of a Hilton portfolio hotel I have ever stayed in where I couldn't have spent $50 in one night and that is with free breakfast. Maybe some Hampton Inns or Homewood suites don't have on site restaurants but I'm not sure as I stayed at a Hampton once and it had a restaurant on site.

I'm hoping the $50 in 6 month deal is still around in mid June( doubtful) so I can get the card again and use the $50 for my my 5 night award stay the day after Thanksgiving
Ok, I'm glad that works for you. But I don't typically stay at resorts, and on the rare cases when I do, I usually find restaurants for half to a hrid of the price outside the resort (and always have a car so it's easy to leave the resort), so I consider eating at the resort a poor value. Now, if that's the only way you can trigger the $50 credit, ok, but if you could have gotten that $50 meal for $20 outside the resort, then it's like you'd gotten a $20 credit instead of a $50 credit. That's what I mean by a poor value.

I typically stay for example at the average HGI, by myself, often one night per stay (different cities each night along a road trip, for example), and it's not easy to add $50 in reasonable expenses by yourself at an HGI which is closed for lunch and your breakfast is free as a Gold, and the dinner is not that expensive.

And you're wrong about Hampton; hardly any Hampton has a resaurant on site, in fact I've never heard of it before. Also, I've stayed at many dozens of Hamptons and have never run into it myself either. I can't prove it never happens, but it's certainly at most the exception and not the rule.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Ok, I'm glad that works for you. But I don't typically stay at resorts, and on the rare cases when I do, I usually find restaurants for half to a hrid of the price outside the resort (and always have a car so it's easy to leave the resort), so I consider eating at the resort a poor value. Now, if that's the only way you can trigger the $50 credit, ok, but if you could have gotten that $50 meal for $20 outside the resort, then it's like you'd gotten a $20 credit instead of a $50 credit. That's what I mean by a poor value.

I typically stay for example at the average HGI, by myself, often one night per stay (different cities each night along a road trip, for example), and it's not easy to add $50 in reasonable expenses by yourself at an HGI which is closed for lunch and your breakfast is free as a Gold, and the dinner is not that expensive.

And you're wrong about Hampton; hardly any Hampton has a resaurant on site, in fact I've never heard of it before. Also, I've stayed at many dozens of Hamptons and have never run into it myself either. I can't prove it never happens, but it's certainly at most the exception and not the rule.

Let's just leave it at I get $50 worth of value out of the $50 credit ( nearby restaurants have the same sandwiches for $10 and beers for $4 as the onsite tiki bar does) and you get no value out of it and call it even.

http://doubletreebeachresort.com/wp-...-Menu-2013.pdf

BTW, I just figured people paid cash for Hampton Inns and saved the points for better hotels and vacations. For instance nearby Hampton Inns are 30K per night ( year round) but an Axon 7 makes the Doubletree 47.5k per night during March/April and 40k per night standard and 32.5k ( fifth night free) during our day after Thanksgiving stay.

The Hampton I stayed at has 2 restaurants. Maybe it's the only Hampton with an on site restaurant.

http://www.hamptonsuitesalbany.com/dining/

Anyway it's all good, some people will get value and some won't. Same for me if an airline card had a credit as I never pay to fly and would never use it

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just figured people paid cash for Hampton Inns and saved the points for better hotels and vacations. For instance nearby Hampton Inns are 30K per night ( year round) but an Axon 7 makes the Doubletree 47.5k per night during March/April and 40k per night standard and 32.5k ( fifth night free) during our day after Thanksgiving stay.
I depends where. I have redeemed just 10,000 points/night (a level which has changed a bit since) for Hamptons near a couple spots around the Blue Ridge Parkway (NC/Virginia) where at the time (spring flowers or fall foliage) the paid rates were over $100 even before taxes.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is long and thin, so it's a place where IMHO it doesn't make sense to do a 5-to-7-night stay, but rather 1- to 2- night stays at various points along the way.

Except around Asheville, I doubt you're likely to find much in the way of fancy hotels along that route. But to my mind, the point of going there is the Parkway, not staying in a fancy hotel. (In fact, that's my point on most vacations, to get out and see what's around, not to spend all my time in the hotel. So I don't care so much where it's fancy, just that it's good enough and good value. But of course, every one is different.)

In fact, I've never in my life yet gone anywhere where I wanted to stay in the same place 7 nights in a row. So 7th night free is a useless reward option for me. (But again, every one is different.)
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:59 pm

In fact, I've never in my life yet gone anywhere where I wanted to stay in the same place 7 nights in a row. So 7th night free is a useless reward option for me. (But again, every one is different.)
FYI, I believe the other poster's reference to "Axon 7" meant a four-night stay (at AXON category 7, for 190K total), not 7 nights. AXON awards can be redeemed only in 4-night multiples. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16555294-post4.html for details.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-
AXON award is for 4 nights, not 7 nights.

And the property in discussion, the Doubletree Beach Resort, is FAR FROM being fancy. It is a fairly UGLY and OLD property.

The Cat 7 is just that being on the beach in sunny Florida in the Winter, is a big draw for those who live in the frozen northeast. (They seem to be still frozen as late March this year!) And of course the crazy Spring Break period.

There are plenty other Cat 7 properties that are much nicer.

For 40K a night Conrad Bangkok (single night, not counting the AXON or 5th night free) is a day and night comparison in every way to that DT. Beautiful swimming pool to lounge around if that is one's thing. Though one would need to travel 1.5 hours to the Pattaya beach which of course, is much nicer than the one in Florida. Not to mention Thailand is much more interesting than good ole Florida.

For 40K one can have 5 nights at DT Kuala Lumpur, a very new property with the view of twin tower from the club lounge.

Or, one can have 5 nights at DT Peking, in the financial district.

Value in redemption is very subjective - what works for Person A, does not work for Person B. Happens all the time.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 22, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:18 pm

AXON 7 is a 4 night stay.

We actually just bought a vacation condo over looking the inter coastal waterway in Indian Shores as we love the area but I still nee Hilton points for now as I can't retire for 5 years (age 49) so we are going to rent in out until then

I have redeemed just 10,000 points/night (a level which has changed a bit since) for Hamptons near a couple spots around the Blue Ridge Parkway (NC/Virginia) where at the time (spring flowers or fall foliage) the paid rates were over $100 even before taxes.
So back to the $50 credit, you would never see a chance in the next 6 months to pay about $50 for a room and save your points ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 23, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So back to the $50 credit, you would never see a chance in the next 6 months to pay about $50 for a room and save your points ?
As of right now? No. All I have planned for the next 6 months at this point are weekend trips (to kinds of places where there's nothing much to charge at Hamptons and the like, and where even only half the time are there HH properties anway), and maybe a trip to a place with no chain hotels (where only at the start and end might I need a night or so, again at whatever a cheap place will be, mostly again in the Hampton or so class). But I don't know yet whether those will be paid or award stays, or even how many of them would Hilton vs another chain make most sense both location-wise and value-wise.

Occasionally, but not every year, I might to a trip to a place where I stay one place for many days and to driving trips in different directions. I did that a couple years ago in Spain, staying at the Hilton Madrid Airport and driving to the northwest one day, driving to different directions southwards a few other days, and going into Madrid itself one or two days. On that stay, $50 in restaurant charges would have been easy, since I could to that by just dining (by myself) at the hotel 2 or at most 3 times (and I think I dined at the hotel at least 2 nights on that trip).

But I don't do that kind of "central location with many side trips" trip every year, and certainly don't except one in the next 6 months (because work schedules are putting a crimp on the amount of time I can take in that time period).

Now, if this becomes an ongoing offer, then someday it might make sense for me.

In any case, I wasn't unhappy with "only" getting 50k HH points per card application before, so I'm not too upset if I can't use the $50 credit before it's gone. (I wasn't planning on necessarily applying for another HH card this soon anyhow. I'm concentrating on AA business at Citi right now.)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:58 pm

In any case, I wasn't unhappy with "only" getting 50k HH points per card application before, so I'm not too upset if I can't use the $50 credit before it's gone. (I wasn't planning on necessarily applying for another HH card this soon anyhow. I'm concentrating on AA business at Citi right now.)
I just hope the $50 isn't an attempt to sweeten the offer and then discontinue the churn.

The churn has already gone on for much longer than I expected.

I'm just concentrating on hotel points for now as I never knew about that Southwest companion deal. I now have 210K SW miles and buy one get one free award flights until Dec 2015 so we will be doing several 4 day Vegas and Orlando trips over the next 18 months in addition to our regular vacations.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:44 pm

I just hope the $50 isn't an attempt to sweeten the offer and then discontinue the churn.

The churn has already gone on for much longer than I expected.

I'm just concentrating on hotel points for now as I never knew about that Southwest companion deal. I now have 210K SW miles and buy one get one free award flights until Dec 2015 so we will be doing several 4 day Vegas and Orlando trips over the next 18 months in addition to our regular vacations.
Or 4 day Aruba, Bahamas, Jamaica, Mexico trips
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:45 pm

Can you use AP with this card? Want to spend a quick 1k and get the points ASAP but I know Citi is weird about banks/AP sometimes??
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Can you use AP with this card? Want to spend a quick 1k and get the points ASAP but I know Citi is weird about banks/AP sometimes??
Why do think Citi is weird about AP? I've never had a problem with them and AP at all.

I would suggest if you're going for a quick "hit" to at least make a couple nominal cards around town first, then a few days later do your AP for $9xx, just so you can preclude the slim chance of a fraud alert you'd have to clear by making your 1st purchase online and large.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by teammjs
Why do think Citi is weird about AP? I've never had a problem with them and AP at all.

I would suggest if you're going for a quick "hit" to at least make a couple nominal cards around town first, then a few days later do your AP for $9xx, just so you can preclude the slim chance of a fraud alert you'd have to clear by making your 1st purchase online and large.
I've never heard of a fraud alert on AP, since they have all of your account info to trace it back. And the worst thing you can do with a new cc is do a few small charges, then a large one. That is exactly what scammers do with a stolen cc; a few small charges to be sure it is still working, then hit it hard. Just do a AP for $1K and be done with it.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:07 pm

My churn history for this card:

#1 approved on 06/30/11, converted to Thankyou Visa on 6/18/12, closed on 08/16/13
#2 approved on 06/25/12, closed on 03/26/14
#3 approved on 06/25/12, closed on 02/15/13
#4 approved on 09/02/13, still open
#5 approved on 01/02/14, still open, citi moved $10k from #2 and approved it
#6 approved on 04/13/14, instant approval, no citi application in between

I thought I closed #2 too close to the #6 application but had no problem getting it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Izushisobaman
My churn history for this card:

#1 approved on 06/30/11, converted to Thankyou Visa on 6/18/12, closed on 08/16/13
#2 approved on 06/25/12, closed on 03/26/14
#3 approved on 06/25/12, closed on 02/15/13
#4 approved on 09/02/13, still open
#5 approved on 01/02/14, still open, citi moved $10k from #2 and approved it
#6 approved on 04/13/14, instant approval, no citi application in between

I thought I closed #2 too close to the #6 application but had no problem getting it.
Date of closing means nothing with Citi, since you don't actually have to close anything ever. For example, I have 4 Plat/Sig AA cards, and 2 MC Exec AA cards, all open at the moment. Citi is actually giving me AF waivers, retention offers, and bonus spending offers, to keep all 4 of the regular cards open.

With Citi, everything is based on date of previous application, never on what is open, nor when something was closed.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
With Citi, everything is based on date of previous application, never on what is open, nor when something was closed.
You mean "With Citi personal cards".

The above is not true for business cards. Now, there is no business HHonors Visa that I know of, but on the Citi business AA cards, you cannot successfully apply for another Citi business AA card until both the previous card account and the master account linked with it are closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.