Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:54 am

Call Citi and ask them to meet the 50k & $50 credit offer. If you rec'd the card within 90 days of the new offer, they told me they will match it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I always drop my CL to $5K and have had nothing but instant approval for over a dozen of these cards
Can you drop your CL online or if it needs a phone call?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JCary
I do it thru SM and they do it
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikedo
I've recently applied for my 2nd Citi AA executive card since Feb 20 2014. The 50k bonus and $50 statement credit offer will expire on April 18, which is the 57 day mark from my first Citi application. Am I out of luck on this deal, or has there been instances where people have been approved for a 3rd card before the 60/65 day limit.
First of all, Citi often keeps card application web pages up and working beyond the stated expiration date, and on the other hand sometimes pulls them early. The thing they least often do is pull them exactly on the date they claim they will.

Second, I don't think there's much chance of you succeeding at 57 days, and while the effect on your credit score won't be great, the big problem is that it'll reset the 65-day counter to being from your recent Executive Card application, so if this 50k + $50 credit offer is still available a week past April 18, which would 65 days for you (if you didn't try at 57 days), you'll be locked out of trying again then. So I'd suggest waiting for 65 days and seeing if the offer is still available then, but not trying to apply before that.

All you're giving up (should you miss the real deadline) is the $50 credit. The 50k offer has been available for a long time without the $50 credit, and there's no reason to expect that it should go away on April 18.

And remember, the $50 credit only works if you have a Hilton stay (in which you spend at least $50)within the required time period. It's not triggered by non-Hilton spend. So if you don't "naturally" have a paid Hilton stay coming up, it could cost you more than it nets you to pursue actually getting the $50 credit!

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 20, 2014 at 2:46 pm Reason: corrected from "paid" stay to "spend at least $50"
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
All you're giving up (should you miss the real deadline) is the $50 credit. The 50k offer has been available for a long time without the $50 credit, and there's no reason to expect that it should go away on April 18.

And remember, the $50 credit only works if you have a paid Hilton stay within the required time period. It's not triggered by non-Hilton spend. So if you don't "naturally" have a paid Hilton stay coming up, it could cost you more than it nets you to pursue actually getting the $50 credit!
Thanks to bring this up to the community's attention. ^

I honestly dont see any big deal of this new offer other than when and if one has a natural HHonors pay stay coming up within the 90 days. Else, it is the same old same old as the long existing offer. The fact that Citi is sweetening it somewhat (Note the Fast Track to Gold is not in the old offer), suggests the 50K offer is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

And remember, the $50 credit only works if you have a paid Hilton stay within the required time period. It's not triggered by non-Hilton spend. So if you don't "naturally" have a paid Hilton stay coming up, it could cost you more than it nets you to pursue actually getting the $50 credit!
Unless I'm reading this wrong a reward stay with charges over $50 to your room will also get the $50 statement credit.

The new offer is also for a $50 credit within the first 6 months.

'In order to qualify for this one-time statement credit, the minimum $50 purchase requirement must be met and will include charges at hotel restaurants, lounges, retail stores, or spas, which are charged to the cardmember’s hotel room bill and settled using the CitiŽ Hilton HHonors™ Visa SignatureŽ card upon checkout. Certain on-property vendors may not permit cardmember to charge to their hotel room, and such charges will not be applied toward the purchase requirement. Credit will appear on billing statement 6-8 weeks after purchase requirement has been met. "

For anyone who may have applied recently under the 40k/ $50 offer I PM'd Citi yesterday ( the day I activated the card) and they bumped me up to 50K/$50

I also believe this is my first HH visa card with a chip in it but maybe I just never noticed before.

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 19, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:25 pm

First of all, Citi often keeps card application web pages up and working beyond the stated expiration date, and on the other hand sometimes pulls them early. The thing they least often do is pull them exactly on the date they claim they will.

Second, I don't think there's much chance of you succeeding at 57 days, and while the effect on your credit score won't be great, the big problem is that it'll reset the 65-day counter to being from your recent Executive Card application, so if this 50k + $50 credit offer is still available a week past April 18, which would 65 days for you (if you didn't try at 57 days), you'll be locked out of trying again then. So I'd suggest waiting for 65 days and seeing if the offer is still available then, but not trying to apply before that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait it out.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Exp BA gold SPG Platinum
Has anyone had any issues upgrading with the link in the wiki to the surpass?
I have received the hh Amex card and spent the $750 received the 50k bonus now I wanted to upgrade to the surpass (and although I was logged in I had to login again) and it comes up sorry can't approve you now call the number on the back of the card.
Maybe I need to wait for the first statement to close?
Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ProudBrit
I have received the hh Amex card and spent the $750 received the 50k bonus now I wanted to upgrade to the surpass (and although I was logged in I had to login again) and it comes up sorry can't approve you now call the number on the back of the card.
Thanks
Try posting your question in the AMex thread, this is for Visa
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp BA gold SPG Platinum
Try posting your question in the AMex thread, this is for Visa
Sorry!
As this thread has the link in the wiki, I thought it is the correct thread!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:20 pm

Sorry!
As this thread has the link in the wiki, I thought it is the correct thread!
No big deal, I just think you'll get a better answer in the Amex thread as those people are more likely to have upgraded to Surpass and you can search old answers there.

The Wiki has a link to Axon discussions which involve getting the HH Amex so it sends you to an Amex thread.

What do you want the Surpass for ? Do you have a lot of paid Hilton stays ?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:04 am

Thanks
I believe need to have card open a year b4 they let u upgrade
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless I'm reading this wrong a reward stay with charges over $50 to your room will also get the $50 statement credit.

'In order to qualify for this one-time statement credit, the minimum $50 purchase requirement must be met and will include charges at hotel restaurants, lounges, retail stores, or spas, which are charged to the cardmember’s hotel room bill and settled using the CitiŽ Hilton HHonors™ Visa SignatureŽ card upon checkout. Certain on-property vendors may not permit cardmember to charge to their hotel room, and such charges will not be applied toward the purchase requirement. Credit will appear on billing statement 6-8 weeks after purchase requirement has been met. "
Ok, I guess that's possible. But how many people do that much in charges on the typical reward stay? Some fraction of award stays, perhaps, but I doubt that it's on the majority of award stays. In fact, it's hard to do at many of the Hilton brands (that aren't full service). and it's often a poor value (compared to "offsite" spending) at those "resort" hotels where it's "easy" to do. (Of course, if your "resort" fee adds up to $50 or more, that does take care of it, and there's no avoid a "resort" fee at places that charge it.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 20, 2014 at 2:42 pm Reason: quote/response formatting corrected
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:50 pm

Ok, I guess that's possible. But how many people do that much in charges on the typical reward stay? Some fraction of award stays, perhaps, but I doubt that it's on the majority of award stays. In fact, it's hard to do at many of the Hilton brands (that aren't full service). and it's often a poor value (compared to "offsite" spending) at those "resort" hotels where it's "easy" to do. (Of course, if your "resort" fee adds up to $50 or more, that does take care of it, and there's no avoid a "resort" fee at places that charge it.)
I typically spend $400 plus on my 8 night reward stay at the tiki bar and restaurant here.

http://doubletreebeachresort.com/

How is getting $50 free a poor value ? If the place is so overpriced just spend $50.

Even HGI have concession areas and restaurants so at Hilton, Doubletree and HGI you can easily spend $50. I can't think of a Hilton portfolio hotel I have ever stayed in where I couldn't have spent $50 in one night and that is with free breakfast. Maybe some Hampton Inns or Homewood suites don't have on site restaurants but I'm not sure as I stayed at a Hampton once and it had a restaurant on site.

I'm hoping the $50 in 6 month deal is still around in mid June( doubtful) so I can get the card again and use the $50 for my my 5 night award stay the day after Thanksgiving

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 20, 2014 at 3:02 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by JCary

Just lowered my new card to $5k via SM yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.