Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by Happy
Your reasoning is totally illogical. Since you claim you can get another Citi card easily, then why not the next 50K or 60K for the same $1K spend, instead of 7K only?

This!
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Then why not get card # 9 today and 60K points then card # 10 in 9 days for another 60K and so on and so on......................

I mean Citi will give unlimited cards/credit ................right ? lol
Lol on the last comment!

I'm spacing out some applications and waiting for some hard inquiries to fall off in July before I apply w/Citi again (or anyone). I'm not worried about getting approved then - but I wouldn't do it now as I just applied recently for another Amex & Chase card.
In the meantime, I can earn an extra 5k points on this card that I wouldn't have earned without calling/asking. These are free points. I will apply for another one, absolutely, but it will be next month. I MS $17k/mo, so I've now dedicated $1k of it to that Citi HH card. Not regretting it.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
My 5th card arrived today, and I called to get the 60K offer before activating. The rep dutifully took down the details of the original offer and said she would send the request, but it would take 5-7 days. While giving her the info, I realized that the cash portion of the original offer was better for me than the 60K offer, since I seldom rent cars but I can easily spend $50 at a Hilton hotel.

So I made the $1000 spend today, and if that results in getting the 50K offer instead of the 60K offer, I'll be fine with that.
I received a letter today saying they will add 10,000 points to my account. Now I wonder if they switched me to the 60K version with rental car credit or if I still have the $50 Hilton credit. I guess I can call and ask. The 50K points for spend should post tomorrow.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:03 pm

I received a letter today saying they will add 10,000 points to my account. Now I wonder if they switched me to the 60K version with rental car credit or if I still have the $50 Hilton credit. I guess I can call and ask. The 50K points for spend should post tomorrow.

If you asked for the 60K offer seems as if they granted it but most likely you also get the $25 rental credit as part of the deal

$50 Hilton credit posts after the spend when that statement closes
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
This has probably already been asked and answered, but I can't find it with a search. When do the bonus points post - after you hit the $1000 spend or with the first statement that closes after you hit the spend?

Hopefully it won't matter as my statement will close the 18th and I just went past the $1000 mark. I still have several charges pending though from last week, including a Hampton stay. I see a good redemption rate for my October trip to London, so would like to lock it in but need the 60K points to book it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
They post after a statement closes with the spend having been credited.

Hopefully those pending charges will post today. Charges that are still pending when the statement closes don't count until the next statement. Worse, sometimes charges that post just before the statement closes somehow don't get counted either. With luck they will post in time for the statement close, in which case they should be in your HH account a few days after that.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband's request (via SM 2 weeks ago) for a match on his card applied on Apr 9th under the 50K $50 offer is denied. Got the letter last Friday that they would not match.

PS
So he went ahead to apply for the 60K on Tuesday, instant approval with very high CL. Will lower it to 5K once card arrives.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 17, 2014 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you asked for the 60K offer seems as if they granted it but most likely you also get the $25 rental credit as part of the deal

$50 Hilton credit posts after the spend when that statement closes
I called to check, and the offer remains a $50 credit for hotel purchases of $50 or more, so it looks like I got the best of both offers. Now I have to figure out if there's a way to use the $50 credits that I have with two cards on one AXON stay. This will be at the Conrad Centennial Singapore, so I figure 1 dinner will be $50 or more. I'll have to pay the 3% foreign exchange fee, but close to free is good, too.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called to check, and the offer remains a $50 credit for hotel purchases of $50 or more, so it looks like I got the best of both offers. Now I have to figure out if there's a way to use the $50 credits that I have with two cards on one AXON stay. This will be at the Conrad Centennial Singapore, so I figure 1 dinner will be $50 or more. I'll have to pay the 3% foreign exchange fee, but close to free is good, too.
Settle the bill between 2 cards. They should be able to do that.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:04 pm

So you got 60K and a $50 Hilton credit ? When they bumped the 40K plus $50 credit I got on my last HH to 50K +$50 crdit 10k points posted separately and said courtesy adjustment

Makes me wonder if I should apply under the 50k +$50 link them SM the next day asking for 60K points.

The $50 credit is good for 6 months ( from the day you apply) if you have another stay planned for the 2nd card
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:54 pm

Just applied for the 60K card. My first ever non instant approval with this card.

I wasn't denied, gave me the needs further review line and they will email within a week so we'll see.

Does anyone know if applying for the 80K IHG card right now could effect this applications decision ?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: DL, AA
Just applied for the 60K card. My first ever non instant approval with this card.

I wasn't denied, gave me the needs further review line and they will email within a week so we'll see.

Does anyone know if applying for the 80K IHG card right now could effect this applications decision ?

Thanks
Shouldn't matter at all. Unless they pull your CR again for some reason. Since you applied, they already pulled your credit. If they look at it after you apply for the IHG, it will still be the report they originally pulled.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mh1361
Shouldn't matter at all. Unless they pull your CR again for some reason. Since you applied, they already pulled your credit. If they look at it after you apply for the IHG, it will still be the report they originally pulled.

Thanks, I have about $400 a month in bills that only take Visa So $1,000 over 3/4 month cards work perfect for those bills.

Update, just applied for the IHG card, instant approval with a $27K CL. I believe that is the highest CL I have ever received. I'll lower it to $5K right after I make the spend.

Hopefully the Citi pending decision is just a review, the only card I have ever been denied for in my life was a Chase United card

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 19, 2014 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I have about $400 a month in bills that only take Visa So $1,000 over 3/4 month cards work perfect for those bills.

Update, just applied for the IHG card, instant approval with a $27K CL. I believe that is the highest CL I have ever received. I'll lower it to $5K right after I make the spend.

Hopefully the Citi pending decision is just a review, the only card I have ever been denied for in my life was a Chase United card
Chase tends to give close to max the total exposure it would give and use up most of the room. Definitely lower the line to 5K upon activation so to return the excess back to the pool.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Chase tends to give close to max the total exposure it would give and use up most of the room. Definitely lower the line to 5K upon activation so to return the excess back to the pool.
It's odd though as my credit score is not any different (maybe 20 points up or down depending on apps)than anytime in the past 10 years that I have been churning.

Prior to today I don't think I ever got a CL over 15K on any personal card, bus cards are higher.

My only guess is it's because I only have one Chase card open prior with a $5K limit.

One card pending with Citi, 14 hours later a 27K CL with Chase, go figure, lol
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's odd though as my credit score is not any different (maybe 20 points up or down depending on apps)than anytime in the past 10 years that I have been churning.

Prior to today I don't think I ever got a CL over 15K on any personal card, bus cards are higher.

My only guess is it's because I only have one Chase card open prior with a $5K limit.

One card pending with Citi, 14 hours later a 27K CL with Chase, go figure, lol
There is absolutely no telling how the banks give the lines on each card. Though I suspect the total exposure matters. Husband got a 25K line on the 50K 2 cards ago in Feb. That was after we canceled 3 Citi cards - TYP, AA and another HHonor. 25K actually did not fully replenish the canceled cards total line but he had never gotten instant approval from Citi at this high CL. Chase, yes, not Citi which tends to be between 8K to 15K. His credit profile has been the same for a very long time.

A couple years ago, Chase gave him 22K line on a Marriott, followed by a 2K line on an IHG when it was still called Priority Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.