Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Just had essentially the same experience except I had to call because they wanted to know if I was ok with "only" a 10K CL. I have 2 other Citi personal cards (AA and HH) and 1 biz (AA) so expected to be asked to move credit lines but instead he said he could approve it now for 10K or move existing from one of the the other accounts. Never even asked why I wanted another, identical card.

Here are the data points for my Citi apps:
Citi AA 9/2/12 instant approval (still open fee waiver offered)
Citi AA biz 10/4/13 instant approval
Citi HH 12/1/13 instant approval
Citi HH 2/17/14 call in for approval described above

Before my app today I had 6 hard inquiries in past 6 months (one from last week).
They (almost) never ask why you are applying for another of the same card. Even then, nearly any answer will do. Usual is: one for personal, one for business expenses.

Curious if when you say you had 6 HIs already, are they all from the same Credit Bureau? The "rule" is 6 per specific CB. 5 at each of the 3 CBs is no problem, only 6 at the one they use to check is a problem.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by Brugge
They (almost) never ask why you are applying for another of the same card. Even then, nearly any answer will do. Usual is: one for personal, one for business expenses.

Curious if when you say you had 6 HIs already, are they all from the same Credit Bureau? The "rule" is 6 per specific CB. 5 at each of the 3 CBs is no problem, only 6 at the one they use to check is a problem.
The pull from last week was Barclay's which typically uses TU for me. The other 5 were on EXP which is what Citi pulled. Just checked my Experian report and can see the Citi pull from today but nothing from Barclays last week so I have to assume they again used TU.

Off topic question - Is it weird that I ordered my free annual report from EXP in Sept and still have access to up to the minute information using that report number? I didn't think it was supposed to work that way. I never paid for any additional access.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Off topic question - Is it weird that I ordered my free annual report from EXP in Sept and still have access to up to the minute information using that report number? I didn't think it was supposed to work that way. I never paid for any additional access.
Maybe they assumed you shopped at Target?

The Target issue caused a lot of temporary reductions in charges for monitoring credit from companies like EXP (either standalone or for customers of certain banks), I dunno if this could be a part of it or not.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Maybe they assumed you shopped at Target?

The Target issue caused a lot of temporary reductions in charges for monitoring credit from companies like EXP (either standalone or for customers of certain banks), I dunno if this could be a part of it or not.

I did get the credit monitoring as part of the Target data breach just a few weeks ago but I already had the credit report access from mid September and have checked it at least once or twice a month since then as I've gotten a few new cards lately. But, I suppose it could be a result of that. I was curious if anyone else had noticed this. I've had the free annual credit report in the past and don't recall it being available for months afterward with real time updates.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:34 am

Applied last night and got pending. Called today and they said they needed to verify my address information. Anyone else had this? Advice?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by cashcow
Applied last night and got pending. Called today and they said they needed to verify my address information. Anyone else had this? Advice?
Did they ask you for some type of additional verification/address documentation? Were you able to provide it?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:01 pm

Had something similar happen. Just had to give an electrical bill to prove my address
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:16 pm

Yes, they ask you some questions about previous addresses associated with you or something of the like.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tofe
Yes, they ask you some questions about previous addresses associated with you or something of the like.
Forgot to mention, a buddy of mine applied and got the same message to call in. They asked him if he was alone when he was filling out the application. lol.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
I did get the credit monitoring as part of the Target data breach just a few weeks ago but I already had the credit report access from mid September and have checked it at least once or twice a month since then as I've gotten a few new cards lately. But, I suppose it could be a result of that. I was curious if anyone else had noticed this. I've had the free annual credit report in the past and don't recall it being available for months afterward with real time updates.
Thanks for the idea. I found this link at Experian where you can fill in your report number (within 90 days) to get free real time updates:

https://www.experian.com/consumer/ca...E&channel=8348
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Thanks for the idea. I found this link at Experian where you can fill in your report number (within 90 days) to get free real time updates:

https://www.experian.com/consumer/ca...E&channel=8348

You can get free access to your Experian report thru Target. It won't give you your FICO, but it will give you the last two years of HIs. Go here to register for an application code, which will be emailed to you in about 24 hours:

https://creditmonitoring.target.com/

You do NOT have to have even shopped at Target, much less had your info compromised. Just sign up, get your application number a day later, then sign in at the link they send you. Instant access to your Experian list of inquiries.

I was dismayed to find out that Citi, Chase, B of A, USB, AMEX, and Capital One all pulled Exp for me. Only Barclays used TU. But so far Citi isn't giving me any problem at all about my HIs. Which is lucky, since I have had Citi apps approved with WAY more than 6 Exp HIs within 6 months. Most likely due to decades of solid history with Cit ccs.

For the first time Credit Karma, the free service, gave me access to my TU inquiry history after my app-o-rama a few days ago. A moot point really, since mainly my Barclays HIs were on TU. Strangely, though, out of all of my B of A apps over the past two years, B of A did pull TU once, and only once, last year.

If you have a Barclays US Air or Frontier cc, you can get your actual FICO, not the FAKO @score you get from Credit Sesame and Credit Karma, but the actual FICO score. Go to your cc webpage, and click on "tools", and you will see the link for "see my FICO score".

For what it's worth, the CSR at Citi Recon gave me the credit score they supposedly got from pulling Exp yesterday, and it was 60 points lower than the score Barclays shows.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
If you have a Barclays US Air or Frontier cc, you can get your actual FICO, not the FAKO @score you get from Credit Sesame and Credit Karma, but the actual FICO score. Go to your cc webpage, and click on "tools", and you will see the link for "see my FICO score".

For what it's worth, the CSR at Citi Recon gave me the credit score they supposedly got from pulling Exp yesterday, and it was 60 points lower than the score Barclays shows.
The Barclays FICO score you got was still your TU FICO. Extremely likely that your EXP FICO is different, given all the inquiries there you listed vs very few on TU.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by y2chen
The Barclays FICO score you got was still your TU FICO. Extremely likely that your EXP FICO is different, given all the inquiries there you listed vs very few on TU.
I have TU FICO through Barclays and EXP FICO through US Bank. When the former was 830ish, the latter was 760ish, for a few months in a row. I don't think it was just due to TU vs EXP inquiries, because at that time I had only 3 or 4 inquiries period (across all bureaus) in the last 6 months or so.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I have TU FICO through Barclays and EXP FICO through US Bank. When the former was 830ish, the latter was 760ish, for a few months in a row. I don't think it was just due to TU vs EXP inquiries, because at that time I had only 3 or 4 inquiries period (across all bureaus) in the last 6 months or so.
Ah, another false data point debunked. I had thought that a FICO score was a FICO score, period. That the FAKO scores one can get for free would necessarily be inaccurate, but that every CB would have the same FICO score. Apparently not true....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, another false data point debunked. I had thought that a FICO score was a FICO score, period. That the FAKO scores one can get for free would necessarily be inaccurate, but that every CB would have the same FICO score. Apparently not true....
No. The real FICO score is the one from Equifax (MyFICO), which uses more stringent criteria.

Experian is closer to Equifax than TransUnion's - that has been reported by many in the credit-centric boards. TU's seem to be inflated. Personally I dont care what TU says especially it seems Barclays is the only bank that continues using it while other banks tend to spread between both EQ and EX. For whatever reasons, Chase always pull BOTH on me. This has happened to others too. I suspect when one has reached max line with Chase, and has to go thru recon on each new app - that is what would happen. The recon reps pulled another agency's report to let the computer evaluate it again. The bank is entitled to do so. Therefore the rep is not obligated to notify you this is what s/he does. I have never been notified - only found this out from the credit reports.

BTW, you can pull a credit report for free each time after you make an application for credit - be it card / bank account / car loan ... any type of personal credit, within 60 days from the application date. Though one time EQ insisted I hadn't applied for any credit in the past 60 days and denied my request while in reality I had applied 2 cards from 2 different banks! EX system recognized that and issued the report.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 26, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.