Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Just a data point - cancelled old HH card on 12/28/12, still shows in my online profile. Just got a notification from Creditkarma that one card was closed and my overall open credit line went down by the CL associated with that card. Not sure what that means for the overall CL Citi is willing to grant me, but it appears they reported a lower outstanding CL to the credit bureaus.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
So let me see if I understand this correctly:

1) get cards, meet spend

2) wait 2 statement cycles, cancel both cards

3) after 65 days, reapply for both

4) if asked why you are opening them again, say you are indecisive

That's it? I got mine in Sept and was waiting 6 months so I can churn em with the HA cards....

But now maybe I won't wait
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
So let me see if I understand this correctly:

1) get cards, meet spend

2) wait 2 statement cycles, cancel both cards

3) after 65 days, reapply for both

4) if asked why you are opening them again, say you are indecisive

That's it? I got mine in Sept and was waiting 6 months so I can churn em with the HA cards....

But now maybe I won't wait
In fact, so far, all I've done is number 1), and I've had two sets of cards. As long as you have no need for other Citi cards (remember, the 65 day rule appears to apply to the spacing needed between applications for any Citi card), you can churn these on a regular basis. I'm not planning on closing any of my four cards when I apply again for two cards around 2/1 although I will gladly move credit from the old cards and then perhaps close the old cards later.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
update on my earlier post

i was pending on 2 apps

called in twice once for each app and approved after 10 minutes each time

got email couple days later welcoming me to the honors card presumably for one of the apps

got email next day saying my app had been declined for submitting multiple apps for credit.

So I don't know now and I don't want to call in... will wait and see.

I know they can do whatever they want and I'm sure there's someone empowered to overturn an approval etc.

But I'm hoping the email was generated before the decision to approve both apps was made.
so something a little odd happened with my sisters 2 apps too. hers went to step 5 for both and were approved after 2 separate phone calls to move credit. only received an approval email for one account. received a phone call from one of the reps she had spoken to several days later stating that she had miscalculated the credit line shift and needed to move more credit (strange because there was at least a 5K credit limit given to the card during the initial call) which we of course okay'ed. was told the card would be processed and should arrive in a week. fast forward 1.5-2 weeks and only one card has been received. no additional approval emails received. a call to citi today revealed that the 2nd card was approved w/the higher CL and was processed yesterday and has yet to be sent out? a little odd?!?! hopefully no additional inquiry was made i had applied for myself a few hours after the sister's apps and had no problems. maybe citi is tightening up on the double browser citi hilton apps? time will tell i suppose...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:12 pm

I applied using the two browser trick.

The first application was approved instantly on phone and the second application went into review and I got sent a 4506T form.

Is there anyway around this form? I really don't want the second credit pull they are requiring with it and on top of that I really dont see why I should need this, I have never had a problem with previous cards and am way below my credit limit based on what other banks have given me.

sigh...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:26 pm

Now they flat out denied me for multiple cards. 4 reps all said the same thing that they are not allowed to approved a card of the same product.

Guess I only got 1 this round... blah never had a problem with this stuff until now. Possible policy change? Last rep said they just received training about Hilton cards. True or just trying to get me off the phone not sure..
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:07 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by thebill0322
I applied using the two browser trick.

The first application was approved instantly on phone and the second application went into review and I got sent a 4506T form.

Is there anyway around this form? I really don't want the second credit pull they are requiring with it and on top of that I really dont see why I should need this, I have never had a problem with previous cards and am way below my credit limit based on what other banks have given me.

sigh...
no

the same thing happened to me.. i told them i changed my mind no longer wanted the 'pending' card and they canceled it. wait 3 mos and try again..
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
double dip for same product may be dead

Originally Posted by thebill0322
Now they flat out denied me for multiple cards. 4 reps all said the same thing that they are not allowed to approved a card of the same product.

Guess I only got 1 this round... blah never had a problem with this stuff until now. Possible policy change? Last rep said they just received training about Hilton cards. True or just trying to get me off the phone not sure..
Same thing happened to me last Friday. I was on my 3rd round of 2 x 50K. I was approved for 2 x 50 on Friday morning, but my wife was denied for the 2nd Citi Hilton card of the day and 6th open overall, so she only has 5 open. However, she applied for the $95 annual fee 2 weekend nights free version on the same day and it was approved. So perhaps the rule only applies to same product at same time. Rep said they just had the training.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by baxterboy12
Same thing happened to me last Friday. I was on my 3rd round of 2 x 50K. I was approved for 2 x 50 on Friday morning, but my wife was denied for the 2nd Citi Hilton card of the day and 6th open overall, so she only has 5 open. However, she applied for the $95 annual fee 2 weekend nights free version on the same day and it was approved. So perhaps the rule only applies to same product at same time. Rep said they just had the training.
Seems like everyone who is getting denied had to call in and speak with a rep. Were you approved for 2 instantly online? What message did your wife get online?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by lavag
Seems like everyone who is getting denied had to call in and speak with a rep. Were you approved for 2 instantly online? What message did your wife get online?
We both got instant approvals for the first round in 3Q 11. For each of us on both apps we got "decision pending" screen. I called the reconsider line and was able to get both mine approved. When I called back 2-3 hrs later to gain approval for both for my wife, I could only get 1 approved, so I applied online for the Reserve card and the rep approved it over the phone despite the "decision pending" screen. He indicated it was a new policy not to approve the same product on the same day.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:11 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
new tactic seems to be 1 Reserve + 1 Reg Visa (50k)

maybe you can apply for both on the same day, call about one the same day, call for the 2nd 50k on the following day

2x 50k is better if you can do the churn twice and then redeem for AXON.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:16 am

calling on different days

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
new tactic seems to be 1 Reserve + 1 Reg Visa (50k)

maybe you can apply for both on the same day, call about one the same day, call for the 2nd 50k on the following day

2x 50k is better if you can do the churn twice and then redeem for AXON.
perhaps you could call the next day and get approved for the 2nd 50K. I might try that next time. I was scared to wait until the next day because I didn't want to have to wait 61 more days, so went for the Reserve instead.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Received the following by email today:

Apply now for the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® card. You could earn 50,000 HHonors Bonus Points.

Dear *****,

With the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® card you can earn Hilton HHonors Bonus® Points that can be redeemed for experiences worth sharing. Apply* now and you can:

Earn 50,000 HHonors Bonus Points after making USD $1,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of opening an account.

Pay no annual fee.

The existing links require $1500 spend for the 50K points.

The application link:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...=02&B1=P#&hhon

Trust this is useful for those applying soon.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:16 am

So should I wait 61 days now to cancel this Hilton card and then apply for another to start the churn?

Also in the mean time should i apply for the reserve card? I don't really remember reading that was churnable. Need to make sure I can get gold status in 2014, already have it this year from the Australia address trick. So if its not churnable I will wait.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I think it's important to avoid the reps if applying for 2x same product...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.