Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
In light of the above I would be inclined to apply for 50K Visa first and Reserve second as I would assume that they would be more inclined to approve the Reserve with the non-waived fee on a recon/Exec Off call. Interesting nonetheless.
On Monday (1/28), I did just the opposite. I used the two browser trick for the 50K Visa and the Reserve. Did as normal two browser instructions when submitting the application. Somehow the 50K app locked up on the "processing" screen. I received called w/ Auth# on the reserve card.

After the approval on the Reserve I submitted the 50k app again and was instantly approved.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Funny because I was approved for both cards initially...then I got a call from CSR that they noticed I had applied for signature and reserve on the same day and since they had processed my signature app and approved it, they would not approve my reserve app. (after I was told it was approved and I should expect the card in a few days)

I really wanted reserve over signature and asked if I could get reserve (also reminding them I was happy to pay the yearly fee over no fee) but since they had approved my signature app first, they would only send me that and not reserve. Stinks!
It is a bit confusing to me about the timeline of your approval/denial on the Reserve.

Were you instantly approved and then later Citi called to deny you?

Originally Posted by deedle
On Monday (1/28), I did just the opposite. I used the two browser trick for the 50K Visa and the Reserve. Did as normal two browser instructions when submitting the application. Somehow the 50K app locked up on the "processing" screen. I received called w/ Auth# on the reserve card.

After the approval on the Reserve I submitted the 50k app again and was instantly approved.
Please update the thread when you receive solid evidence that you will get both cards - Congrat emails with different last 4 digits of the card for example, or physical cards arrive in due course.

Hope your approvals would not be rescinded like what happened to tsmith12.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Happy
It is a bit confusing to me about the timeline of your approval/denial on the Reserve.

Were you instantly approved and then later Citi called to deny you?

Please update the thread when you receive solid evidence that you will get both cards - Congrat emails with different last 4 digits of the card for example, or physical cards arrive in due course.

I applied for both cards and was given the number to call to verify my info. I called signature first and got approved of 10K credit line and was told I'll get the card within a week. Then I called Reserve to verify info, they gave me $7K credit line and told me I would get the card within the next week.

After 20 minutes, I got a call from the CSR who had approved my reserve and told me he just saw in the system that I had been approved for signature prior to me calling for reserve and they can only give one hilton card and since I had been approved of signature first, that's the card I would get and they were cancelling my approved reserve. I asked if I could get the reserve instead and pay the yearly fee as that was more useful to me (for Gold status) but he refused my request saying that my signature card had already been processed and approved and I could only get one hilton card.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by tsmith12
I applied for both cards and was given the number to call to verify my info. I called signature first and got approved of 10K credit line and was told I'll get the card within a week. Then I called Reserve to verify info, they gave me $7K credit line and told me I would get the card within the next week.

After 20 minutes, I got a call from the CSR who had approved my reserve and told me he just saw in the system that I had been approved for signature prior to me calling for reserve and they can only give one hilton card and since I had been approved of signature first, that's the card I would get and they were cancelling my approved reserve. I asked if I could get the reserve instead and pay the yearly fee as that was more useful to me (for Gold status) but he refused my request saying that my signature card had already been processed and approved and I could only get one hilton card.
Well this does have me nervous on mine at this point as I did receive a congrats email on 50k visa but nothing on the Reserve yet. I was approved for the reserve prior to the 50k but received the instant approval on it. I did not however receive any calls that same night and have not since.

Hopefully it will just show up in the mail. I did call about the reserve last night regular customer service could not help me since I didn't have a card # yet...transferred to the app dept. and they couldn't hep me since I didn't have the auth# anymore. Was advised the normal time status for the card and should receive it soon.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Well this does have me nervous on mine at this point as I did receive a congrats email on 50k visa but nothing on the Reserve yet. I was approved for the reserve prior to the 50k but received the instant approval on it. I did not however receive any calls that same night and have not since.
I got that same congrats email yesterday, three days after approval, on the 50k, but haven't received anything on the Reserve yet. I had to call in for both because of an Experian freeze, so I know both were approved - one by an offshore agent and one in South Dakota. I'm just going to let it go and see what shows up next week.

Phrase of the month, both at work and on FT, is "Don't poke the bear." This replaces last month's phrase: "Let the cake bake."
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:07 pm

Refer to the first "quote" for the first part of this story.

I received my Signature 50k Visa "congrats email" yesterday 1/31. Today I receive ANOTHER "congrats email" for a 2nd Signature 50k Visa. I call in to get confirmation on a mistake due to my Reserve card not showing yet. CSR pulled my account and shows 3 approvals and confirmed each card. 2 50k Visa's and 1 Reserve.

With that said, the "lock up during the processing screen" must have continued through and approved without me knowing. But it was 30 seconds later that I submitted the 2nd application for the 50k Visa.

I will update again once I receive an email or the card for the Reserve.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Refer to the first "quote" for the first part of this story.

I received my Signature 50k Visa "congrats email" yesterday 1/31. Today I receive ANOTHER "congrats email" for a 2nd Signature 50k Visa. I call in to get confirmation on a mistake due to my Reserve card not showing yet. CSR pulled my account and shows 3 approvals and confirmed each card. 2 50k Visa's and 1 Reserve.

With that said, the "lock up during the processing screen" must have continued through and approved without me knowing. But it was 30 seconds later that I submitted the 2nd application for the 50k Visa.

I will update again once I receive an email or the card for the Reserve.
You hit the jackpot so to speak.

If the Congrat emails have different 4 digits of the card, you are definitely getting them - only when a card is actually ORDERED, then it would have a number, and the Congrat email be sent. Sometimes no email at all.

Yes, when Citi's system locked up, often an application would have already gone thru. It is a complete luck of draw on the 3rd app going thru or not. I had that happened to me but the 3rd app was auto-denied for the "multiple applications" reason (the 3rd card within 65 days). But my 3rd app was like minutes later - may be that makes the difference versus the 30 seconds interval you had. Mine always takes longer as I screen shot every page.

I have a feeling you will get all 3. Congrats indeed!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:34 pm

You hit the jackpot so to speak.

If the Congrat emails have different 4 digits of the card, you are definitely getting them - only when a card is actually ORDERED, then it would have a number, and the Congrat email be sent. Sometimes no email at all.

Yes, when Citi's system locked up, often an application would have already gone thru. It is a complete luck of draw on the 3rd app going thru or not. I had that happened to me but the 3rd app was auto-denied for the "multiple applications" reason (the 3rd card within 65 days). But my 3rd app was like minutes later - may be that makes the difference versus the 30 seconds interval you had. Mine always takes longer as I screen shot every page.

I have a feeling you will get all 3. Congrats indeed!
Correct, both emails have different "last 4" digits listed. Pretty crazy, but I'm stoked I got lucky...each 50k card has $12k and $15k limit and the Reserve has $8k. That should set me up for when I go for the AA cards to be able to easily move some credit around.

What's also crazy is that my wife got decline for one of two 50k's not 10 minutes later.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, both emails have different "last 4" digits listed. Pretty crazy, but I'm stoked I got lucky...each 50k card has $12k and $15k limit and the Reserve has $8k. That should set me up for when I go for the AA cards to be able to easily move some credit around.

What's also crazy is that my wife got decline for one of two 50k's not 10 minutes later.
That is why instant approvals often bypass human eyes and are golden, well 95% of the cases they are golden. Key is the card is ordered automatically by the system. I also knew folks in the past got instant approvals on the AA cards only later got a denial mail when Citi started to enforce the "first time only" clause.

Now you have a good reason to start a great weekend!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Is there a working link for the 50k offer?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Is there a working link for the 50k offer?
Try post #1453
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Try post #1453
Thank you. It works fine!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:28 am

Do you guys also apply for the Amex Hilton card? I am trying to figure out the best way to accumulate points?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by nicholastg
Do you guys also apply for the Amex Hilton card? I am trying to figure out the best way to accumulate points?
Yes
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicholastg
The Amex Hilton cards are from a different bank (Amex the bank) than this Ciit card. So you don't need to "synchronize" applying for the Amex Hilton versus the Citi Hilton 50k. You can do them (relative to each other) whenever you want.

The thing is, the Amex Hilton has a better earning structure (for most people) for using the card on an ongoing basis, and is much harder to churn (for repeated signup bonuses), so many people keep the Amex Hilton but churn (cancel* and later reapply for) the Citi Hilton 50k.

*At Citi it's not necessary to cancel before you apply for the same card again, but it is necessary at other banks including Amex, so the general defintion of churning a card is to cancel and then reapply. However, with Citi it can also be reapply and then cancel the older one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.