Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Travel22
Did Citi change their policies recently?

I did the two browser trick today. Instant approval on card #1 for $16,500 credit limit. Got to step 3 on card #2.

Have called three times and reached one off shore rep, one South Dakota rep, and one Maryland rep and all three have told me that my second app was denied. They used nearly the same verbiage word for word "not allowed two of the same product." Said it was a new policy change.....

???
I haven't called, but my second application was not approved either. Same thing as you. I did not hit submit on the browsers back to back, maybe 5 minutes between the two applications.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sent
I haven't called, but my second application was not approved either. Same thing as you. I did not hit submit on the browsers back to back, maybe 5 minutes between the two applications.
I hit submit maybe 3-4 seconds separation.

I tried for a fourth phone call and got the exact same response from another rep in South Dakota. Not going to happen, I guess.

At least I got the first one approved.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Quick question, are all of these attempts that are getting one of the two cards rejecting using the 50k after $1000 spending in 4 months offer for both cards?

I wonder if applying once for the $1000 spending in 4 months offer, and then applying for the second card with the $1500 spending over 6 months would make any difference. Maybe those are technically seen as different cards.

Just a thought...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Both of my apps were for the $1000 spend card.

All four different reps declined me for "can't have two of the same product" reason.

Might be worth a shot to try what you suggested.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jeanie
Quick question, are all of these attempts that are getting one of the two cards rejecting using the 50k after $1000 spending in 4 months offer for both cards?

I wonder if applying once for the $1000 spending in 4 months offer, and then applying for the second card with the $1500 spending over 6 months would make any difference. Maybe those are technically seen as different cards.

Just a thought...
Both of mine were for the $1500 in 6 months offer. I didn't see the other offer since I just went by what was in the first post.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Someone can try but I wold not be too optimistic. I suspect that Citi sees the Free HHonors cards as the same product. Guess that means applying for one every other month instead.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:16 pm

Has anyone tried going for the 50k and 40k offer since they updated their policy? Or done a reserve or thank you card as the other browser?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
We finally have a landing page for the latest $1000/4 months offer:

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...0k/default.htm
thanks for sharing - always nice to have a landing page!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Travel22
Did Citi change their policies recently?

I did the two browser trick today. Instant approval on card #1 for $16,500 credit limit. Got to step 3 on card #2.

Have called three times and reached one off shore rep, one South Dakota rep, and one Maryland rep and all three have told me that my second app was denied. They used nearly the same verbiage word for word "not allowed two of the same product." Said it was a new policy change.....
If only Citi offered a MasterCard version of the Hilton card. Alas, they do not.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
One Reserve, One 50K

Originally Posted by sound48
Has anyone tried going for the 50k and 40k offer since they updated their policy? Or done a reserve or thank you card as the other browser?
My wife got two different products approved on the same day, 1/18. I got two 50K's that same day. See my prior posts in this thread.

James
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:18 am

Clarification on 50k + Reserve

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's a bit confusingly worded, so maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the way I read your message it seems like she tried to apply for 3 cards (2 of the 50k, one of the Reserve) on the same day. If so, it was simply the "no more than 2 credit card apps of any kind in any 60 day period" rule that Citi has across its whole credit department. (You get that rejection on your 3rd Citi card of the day no matter how different all 3 cards are.)
Sorry, let me clarify. Mrs. Baxterboy12 applied for 2 50Ks. We called South Dakota. First 50K was approved. 2nd was denied on basis that Citi will no longer approve 2 applications "for same product" even though they had approved me for 2 50K's 10 minutes earlier. On same day, she submitted a 3rd application for Reserve card. Called again. Reserve card was approved and we just met minumum spend on 50K and Reserve yesterday.

Of note is that my income is in 25% bracket and Mrs. Baxterboy12 is a stay at home mom with limited income other than capital gains, interest, etc. However, I had been using our married filing jointly total household income on her applications for 2 yrs with no problems. From extended conversations with the Citi reps, I don't believe this played a factor in her denial of the 2nd 50K.

Also, I had applied for 9 credit cards for each of us on that same day and we have a very high number of inquiries on CR.

Chase Ink Plus, BA 100K 2nd round
Barclays US Air, Travelocity, Frontier, Choice
Citi 50K x 2, + Reserve for her
US Bank-Club Carlson 85K

Everything was approved except her 2nd Citi Hilton 50K. I have not checked our credit reports yet to see if her Reserve and 50K was combined into 1 inquiry.

I asked the rep if this was a new policy to deny 2nd app for same product and he indicated that they had just been trained earlier that day. He sounded like he was about to approve it, but then he got a look over the shoulder from the Team Lead and no go. I then asked if she could be approved for a 2nd Citi card such as a Reserve. He said "can't guarantee approval but there is no policy preventing such." Applied and bingo.

James
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
50,000 Citi Hilton HHonors Visa

Wife and I both applied for 2nd 50k card and were approved. 1st cards were opened 2/12. and had no spending on them since 5/12.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: A few
This is interesting. I have not followed this thread closely recently but just caught up on the recent reports of not being able to have "two of the same" from Citi. In my last churn I was up for the AA 50k's again and decided to try for two of the exact same card as there was a Visa version with lower spend than all the rest. To my surprise I got denied on the second one because of "already having the product" or words to that affect. Looks like I got hit by the same policy. While not the exact same card, it is the same result - unable to get of the exact same card at same time.

As always with Citi YMMV but seems this is the latest evolution of their "policy"
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
it seems that they are heading the way of AMEX with the 'same product' thing ....

anyways, before we where happy of applying for the same product different cards (visa + amex, per + biz, whatever)

Then someone accidentally found out you could just apply for the same card twice and it looks like they caught on and closed the loop.

seems to have happened what, about a week ago?

I am up for another churn in 2 months, would love to see how it plays out.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:07 pm

approval for 2 of same product?

Originally Posted by mike2200
Wife and I both applied for 2nd 50k card and were approved. 1st cards were opened 2/12. and had no spending on them since 5/12.
Mike, what date were you approved?

Mrs. Baxterboy12 was denied for 2nd 50K one January 18 and we got the Reserve for her 2nd card instead.

It was our third round of double dip Hilton churns, so she and I both already had 4 Citi Hilton 50K Hilton cards opened in last 6 months.

It sounds like you got #3 and #4 overall approved.

Did you get the decision pending screen or instant approval?

If decision pending, did you all or wait for the letter?

We were trying to get 9 cards each on the same day so I called minutes after applying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.