Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Choice points expire after 18 months of inactivity. The Choice FAQ lists ways to extend the expiration date:Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date but are confirmed as working.
  • Dining "Eat and Earn" (confirmed working)
  • e-Rewards (confirmed)
  • Transfer from Amex Membership Rewards to Choice (confirmed working 3/2023, despite terms)
  • Transfer from Citi Thank You points to Choice (confirmed working)
Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date. Unknown if they actually work. Please post if you find otherwise:
  • Car rental: Avis or Budget
  • Cruise booking
  • Golf equipment rental, tee times, and apps
  • Transfer from Capital One points to Choice (probably works but unconfirmed)
  • Transfer from Radisson Americas to Choice?
  • Vinesse
Does not work, confirmed:
  • Redeeming a cash+points stay and then cancelling to effectively "buy" points
  • Choice Shopping Mall, 1800Baskets, 1800Flowers, and Quicken Loans programs are discontinued
Other notes:
  • You can redeem points for an award dated past your points expiration. If you cancel though, expect to lose points.
  • Radisson Americas has a 24-month expiration policy.
  • Choice earning page
Print Wikipost

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:53 am

I bought some during the 50% bonus sale recently
better than nothing
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:18 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I bought some during the 50% bonus sale recently
better than nothing
Jerry, we're glad you took advantage of one of our recent benefits. Your preference means a lot to us. When you need assistance, our team is always here for you. Regards, Zaira.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:15 am

I tried repeatedly to make a Points Plus Cash booking on Thursday 3/30 to keep my wife's points from expiring. I kept getting an error about the credit card payment failing, even trying several different cards, choosing a different hotel and date, and incognito mode. None of my cards even showed any pending or denied charges. I planned to try again Friday 3/31 but never had a chance to get back to it, so all her points just expired Do I have any options to reinstate them?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:00 am

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We understand the importance of keeping your hard-earned points in the account and sincerely regret the difficulties you encountered while using our website. However, my team and I will gladly address your case in more detail. Please send us a DM with the account holder's name, phone number, and email address. Once we have this information, we will follow up with you. -Josh
Old Jun 9, 2023, 1:25 pm

A few months ago I started a wikipost of activities to keep your account alive, based on what I'd read and Choice's earning page.

I don't know if they revised the Choice FAQ, but it now seems more specific about what counts.

Car rentals, dining, and transferring from Amex are ineligible. If you try these and find they work anyway, please share.

"As long as you are an active Choice Privileges member, your points never expire. You must, however, complete at least one qualifying activity every 18 months to maintain an active account and to retain your accumulated points. Choice Privileges points are forfeited in accounts that have no qualifying activity during the previous 18 consecutive calendar months.

To remain active in the program and retain your points, you must have at least one of the following activities every 18 consecutive calendar months:

- Qualifying point-eligible stay (earning points or miles),
- Redeeming Choice Privileges points (free nights, gift cards etc.)
- Earning points with the Choice Privileges Mastercard® card (US members only)
- Purchasing points
- Referring a Friend*

*The Refer-a-Friend option awards points to your account when a friend enrolls in the Choice Privileges Rewards Program and completes a point-eligible stay. The point forfeiture date will be based on the date the points post to your account, not on the date of the referral.

What are examples of activities that do not qualify?

Examples of non-qualifying activities include stays that are not point-eligible, registering for a promotion, and gifting points (this only counts as a qualifying activity for the member who receives the points, not the member who gifts the points)."

Last edited by rrgg; Jun 9, 2023 at 2:14 pm
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:11 pm
SBT

Does E Rewards Purchase of 1000 Choice miles Extend expiration?

Through the Choice purchase of Radisson I transferred my Radisson points to choice. I understand their is an 18 month expiration if their is no activity.
Does the purchase of 1,000 choice points through the E Rewards program extend expiration?
Thank you,
SBT
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SBT
Through the Choice purchase of Radisson I transferred my Radisson points to choice. I understand their is an 18 month expiration if their is no activity.
Does the purchase of 1,000 choice points through the E Rewards program extend expiration?
Thank you,
SBT
Hi, there. Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. Please know points do not expire as long as your account remains active. You must have at least one qualifying activity every 18 months to maintain an active status and retain your accumulated points. Qualifying activity includes a qualifying point-eligible stay, redeeming Choice Privileges points (free nights, gift cards, etc.), purchasing points, etc. However, we don't want to miss this opportunity to look at your account; when time allows, please reply through a private message with the mailing address, phone number, email address, and full name associated with the profile. We'll be waiting for your message. -Zaira
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rrgg

To remain active in the program and retain your points, you must have at least one of the following activities every 18 consecutive calendar months:
- Redeeming Choice Privileges points (free nights, gift cards etc.)
In the past a redemption for a stay in Japan did NOT extend my point validity. I found that hard to believe and even called for confirmation.
More recently I see my account has been extended with a point stay, so I guess worldwide stays do count now.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:23 am

Points from eRewards just extended my points expiration date, despite how Choice worded their T&C
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:00 am

Thank you for informing us of your case. We are glad to hear that your points did not expire. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to send us a private message. Take care. -Josh
Old Aug 26, 2023, 4:34 pm
SBT

The purchase of 1000 points through E-rewards worked. I also realize renting a care from Budget or Avis and providing your choice privileges number also works.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you are taking advantage of our benefits. If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. Regards. -Josh
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
DP-I transferred 1,000 Citi Thank You points to Choice at a 1:2 ratio. My expiration was extended instantly. Is this covered in the wiki?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:19 am

Thanks for confirming! Both Citi transfers and Eat and Earn were marked unknown, but the latter worked for me. I updated the wikipost.

Last edited by rrgg; Mar 14, 2024 at 6:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.