Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Choice points expire after 18 months of inactivity. The Choice FAQ lists ways to extend the expiration date:Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date but are confirmed as working.
  • Dining "Eat and Earn" (confirmed working)
  • e-Rewards (confirmed)
  • Transfer from Amex Membership Rewards to Choice (confirmed working 3/2023, despite terms)
  • Transfer from Citi Thank You points to Choice (confirmed working)
Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date. Unknown if they actually work. Please post if you find otherwise:
  • Car rental: Avis or Budget
  • Cruise booking
  • Golf equipment rental, tee times, and apps
  • Transfer from Capital One points to Choice (probably works but unconfirmed)
  • Transfer from Radisson Americas to Choice?
  • Vinesse
Does not work, confirmed:
  • Redeeming a cash+points stay and then cancelling to effectively "buy" points
  • Choice Shopping Mall, 1800Baskets, 1800Flowers, and Quicken Loans programs are discontinued
Other notes:
  • You can redeem points for an award dated past your points expiration. If you cancel though, expect to lose points.
  • Radisson Americas has a 24-month expiration policy.
  • Choice earning page
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

At this time, a choice credit card or stay or referral is not possible. Booking a points stay and cancelling , that did not work when I tried it on what would have been a legitimate stay.

Options that occur to me -- would they all work???? -- are buying points from choice, booking and cancelling a cash and points stay , or us travel association points purchase when and if that returns?

Are there any cheaper options such as buying music or an online book? Or any other options?

My account is us based, but I likely will not be in the states for some time,

Thank you
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:10 am

Any activity would work that stays on the record. Have you looked at e-rewards.

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
At this time, a choice credit card or stay or referral is not possible. Booking a points stay and cancelling , that did not work when I tried it on what would have been a legitimate stay.

Options that occur to me -- would they all work???? -- are buying points from choice, booking and cancelling a cash and points stay , or us travel association points purchase when and if that returns?

Are there any cheaper options such as buying music or an online book? Or any other options?

My account is us based, but I likely will not be in the states for some time,

Thank you
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Erewards does not work if ones computer is in Asia

Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Thanks I tried erewards, but although my legal address, my profile address, and my choice address are are all USA ,e rewards rejects me for surveys based on my computer IP address.

So I think my options may be just buying points from choice or from us getaways. Booking a hotel on points and cancelling did not work -- prehaps because I cancelled almost immediately .
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:37 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Just use a VPN
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:22 pm

Does booking and canceling an award stay work?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by abcx
Does booking and canceling an award stay work?
No.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
No.
I confirm. It does not. Fortunately I found a satisfactory way to use the points. The Star Inn in Dresden.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Does booking and canceling a points + cash award count as qualifying activity to extend the expiration of points? I saw somebody asked this earlier in the thread, but didn't receive a response.

I only have a few thousand points and they're going to expire soon, but I'd extend them if there was a cheap way to do it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Does booking and canceling a points + cash award count as qualifying activity to extend the expiration of points? I saw somebody asked this earlier in the thread, but didn't receive a response.

I only have a few thousand points and they're going to expire soon, but I'd extend them if there was a cheap way to do it.

Thanks!
Bookng and cancelling a points + cash award is the same as buying points, except at a slightly better rate.

However, right now, at least online, it's impossible to book a points + cash award, and it's not clear if / when it will be possible:
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:21 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Booking and canceling an award stay will not count as a qualifying activity to extend the expiration of points. See below for all of the things you can do the keep your account active!

Earn Points
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...es/earn-points

Redeem Points
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-.../redeem-points
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
Booking and canceling an award stay will not count as a qualifying activity to extend the expiration of points. See below for all of the things you can do the keep your account active!

Earn Points
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...es/earn-points

Redeem Points
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-.../redeem-points
And what about booking an award stay before the expiration date but the stay is after the expiration day?
The transaction is made before the expiration date and so it should be ok. Correct?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Perhaps I'm being thick, but I can't figure out how to sign up for / use e-rewards. There is something about needing an invitation, but how do I get one? Do I just need to get lucky to receive one?
This page says something about it—
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...ts/memberships
—but doesn't seem to provide a way to initiate or request an invitation.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fumje; Dec 11, 2017 at 4:56 pm Reason: formatting messed up; fixed
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Perhaps I'm being thick, but I can't figure out how to sign up for / use e-rewards. There is something about needing an invitation, but how do I get one? Do I just need to get lucky to receive one?
This page says something about it—
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...ts/memberships
—but doesn't seem to provide a way to initiate or request an invitation.
Thanks in advance!

I think e-rewards has stopped taking open invitations on some sites. So yeah, you would need an email from Choice. I've never gotten one from Choice for E-rewards though.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Extend Points by Redeeming for Award Night - for Future Stay?

Originally Posted by rosarioit
And what about booking an award stay before the expiration date but the stay is after the expiration day?
The transaction is made before the expiration date and so it should be ok. Correct?
Can someone answer the above question? I have no intention of cancelling, but the stay would be after the deadline - the booking before the deadline.

Thanks....
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by rosarioit
Originally Posted by Explore
Can someone answer the above question? I have no intention of cancelling, but the stay would be after the deadline - the booking before the deadline.

Thanks....
Booking before/staying after worked for us recently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.