Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Choice points expire after 18 months of inactivity. The Choice FAQ lists ways to extend the expiration date:Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date but are confirmed as working.
  • Dining "Eat and Earn" (confirmed working)
  • e-Rewards (confirmed)
  • Transfer from Amex Membership Rewards to Choice (confirmed working 3/2023, despite terms)
  • Transfer from Citi Thank You points to Choice (confirmed working)
Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date. Unknown if they actually work. Please post if you find otherwise:
  • Car rental: Avis or Budget
  • Cruise booking
  • Golf equipment rental, tee times, and apps
  • Transfer from Capital One points to Choice (probably works but unconfirmed)
  • Transfer from Radisson Americas to Choice?
  • Vinesse
Does not work, confirmed:
  • Redeeming a cash+points stay and then cancelling to effectively "buy" points
  • Choice Shopping Mall, 1800Baskets, 1800Flowers, and Quicken Loans programs are discontinued
Other notes:
  • You can redeem points for an award dated past your points expiration. If you cancel though, expect to lose points.
  • Radisson Americas has a 24-month expiration policy.
  • Choice earning page
Print Wikipost

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL, AA, IHG, Choice Privileges, Amtrak, Hyatt
Maybe Choice Hotels can refresh one of their own training videos and send it out to all the franchises.

https://youtu.be/FyK41ykJlTs
Old May 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by TheVig
I know at my Econo Lodge stays I'm supposed to get 100 points at check in. Rarely happens. Hotels higher up on the quality level in the Choice ecosystem, its usually not an issue.

When checking you in, they can see right then and there if you are a Choice Privileges member, and what your status is. You would think a light bulb would go off in their heads, telling them to recognize your status and offer up the points at check in.

I'm not expecting to be greeted with celestial choirs when I walk in the door, I just want my damn points without having to point it out to them.

I hit diamond status a few weeks ago, and already have north of 150,000 points so far for the year.
Your membership is valuable to us, and we recognize the importance of earning what you have been promised. All of our partners should be identifying our frequent travelers, and enlightening them on their potential property gift. Although the availability of these offerings may vary by location, we want to follow up and make sure this isn't being missed. Thank you for being one of our Diamond members. Can you send us your membership number, email, telephone, full name, and complete mailing address so we can check your points are posting? Feel welcome to include the stays you might have missed out on so we can verify. Looking forward to it! *Julio
Old May 15, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

would the following activities extend ? Buying a gift card or making a charitable donation or transferring points to an airline miles account or booking and completing a stay? Do they all post instantaneously for purposes of extending the expiration date?

Asking because my points points expire November 1, I may need a stay a few days earlier, but the trip might get cancelled at the last minute.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jared Ito
would the following activities extend ? Buying a gift card or making a charitable donation or transferring points to an airline miles account or booking and completing a stay? Do they all post instantaneously for purposes of extending the expiration date?

Asking because my points points expire November 1, I may need a stay a few days earlier, but the trip might get cancelled at the last minute.
"Buying" a gift card with points would count, but buying a Choice gift card with money wouldn't count. So anything which uses up points or earns points counts. (Transferring points between people only counts for one, not both, of them.)

Not all of them post instantaneously. Booking and completing a paid stay only posts a couple days after you complete the stay. I would say in general that using up points happens more "instantaneously" than earning points.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
"Buying" a gift card with points would count,.
And with the promo there are a few at 8k. Mattress run at Econolodge if you are near one that is inexpensive but you do have to check in not just make the reservation.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:04 pm

I'm sad that Choice is NOT extending the points expiration during Covid-19

Donation link don't work for me, anybody else?
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...ints/donations

maybe I have to buy some to extend my points then (expires in 7 days!!!), 40% bonus
https://onemileatatime.com/buy-choice-hotels-points/
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I'm sad that Choice is NOT extending the points expiration during Covid-19

Donation link don't work for me, anybody else?
https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...ints/donations

maybe I have to buy some to extend my points then (expires in 7 days!!!), 40% bonus
https://onemileatatime.com/buy-choice-hotels-points/
Thank you for being one of our Choice Privileges members! Earlier in the year, point expiration was paused through the end of 2020 for all members. The donation link should work if you have enough points. Sorry to hear that you are not able to redeem like you are hoping. In either scenario you outlined, these would count as qualifying activities to extend those points for another 18 months. For live assistance, our Member Services Team is also available at 888.770.6800. Feel free to send a private message if you have other questions. Thanks, again!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
Thank you for being one of our Choice Privileges members! Earlier in the year, point expiration was paused through the end of 2020 for all members. The donation link should work if you have enough points. Sorry to hear that you are not able to redeem like you are hoping. In either scenario you outlined, these would count as qualifying activities to extend those points for another 18 months. For live assistance, our Member Services Team is also available at 888.770.6800. Feel free to send a private message if you have other questions. Thanks, again!
Thank you
I had 100K points, so definitely enough to donate :P

I ended up buying some points to extend the expiry another 18 months

I must say though, those NOT extending the expiry further during Covid-19 gets a bad rep in my view and will look forward to use them up and not accumulate anymore
I saved up 100K to use them for 2020 summer Japan trip that obviously didn't happen
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:37 pm

I see that points expiration has been paused until December 31. Any indication of this will be extended?

I'm trying to exchange some Choice points, but when I click on "Transfer Now", all I get is a white circle turning for about half a minute and then a page that is empty except for Choice's header and footer. No error messages, no field where I could pick the exchange partner and points amount. Is that a known issue?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:28 pm

Hi, there! That's an excellent question! My team and I would like to look more into this situation for you. Could you please send us a private message with your full name, Choice Privileges number, mailing address, email, and phone number? Once we have this information, we are going to follow-up. -Liz.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:10 am

I'm in the same boat, points expire at the end of Dec. So if i make a donation does that qualify and extend the expiration date? And how long does it take to take effect? expiration gets changed before Dec 31?

Last edited by Roger Young; Dec 15, 2020 at 12:36 pm Reason: I meant expiration not points
Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:34 pm

Looks like Choice has decided to further postpone expiration through the end of 2021, I just received an email to that effect. I stay in Choice properties during every decent promo, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm glad they're responding appropriately.

Edit: my apologies, I only glanced at the email and didn't realize that it referenced my elite status as the reason points expiration would be further paused. I don't feel right deleting this first post but wanted to correct my initial misunderstanding.
Brendan and strickerj like this.

Last edited by synergistic; Dec 16, 2020 at 10:11 am
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Looks like Choice has decided to further postpone expiration through the end of 2021, I just received an email to that effect. I stay in Choice properties during every decent promo, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm glad they're responding appropriately.
Hi, there! That's an excellent question! My team and I would like to look more into this situation for you. Could you please send us a private message with your full name, Choice Privileges number, mailing address, email, and phone number? Once we have this information, we are going to follow-up. -Liz.
Can Choice confirm this please, we did not receive an email and our expiration date is still showing dec 31 ( actually 01/01/21). Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Roger Young
Can Choice confirm this please, we did not receive an email and our expiration date is still showing dec 31 ( actually 01/01/21). Thanks.
I apologize, reading the email for content instead of just skimming, it appears that it's for 'elite members' - I'm very sorry for the inaccurate post. I hope you are able to find a way to extend your points, I completely understand your frustration. I think that loyalty accounts should be preserved without hoop jumping through all this, at least until things are getting better instead of worse.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
I apologize, reading the email for content instead of just skimming, it appears that it's for 'elite members' - I'm very sorry for the inaccurate post. I hope you are able to find a way to extend your points, I completely understand your frustration. I think that loyalty accounts should be preserved without hoop jumping through all this, at least until things are getting better instead of worse.
Thanks for clearing that up. I agree with you.
So, it looks like the 2 fastest ways to extend the date is to either donate 1000 points or buy 1000 points. Or if you have like 2 months or more maybe the shopping mall would work.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.