Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Choice points expire after 18 months of inactivity. The Choice FAQ lists ways to extend the expiration date:Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date but are confirmed as working.
  • Dining "Eat and Earn" (confirmed working)
  • e-Rewards (confirmed)
  • Transfer from Amex Membership Rewards to Choice (confirmed working 3/2023, despite terms)
  • Transfer from Citi Thank You points to Choice (confirmed working)
Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date. Unknown if they actually work. Please post if you find otherwise:
  • Car rental: Avis or Budget
  • Cruise booking
  • Golf equipment rental, tee times, and apps
  • Transfer from Capital One points to Choice (probably works but unconfirmed)
  • Transfer from Radisson Americas to Choice?
  • Vinesse
Does not work, confirmed:
  • Redeeming a cash+points stay and then cancelling to effectively "buy" points
  • Choice Shopping Mall, 1800Baskets, 1800Flowers, and Quicken Loans programs are discontinued
Other notes:
  • You can redeem points for an award dated past your points expiration. If you cancel though, expect to lose points.
  • Radisson Americas has a 24-month expiration policy.
  • Choice earning page
Print Wikipost

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:12 am

Does transferring from Amex Membership Rewards extend the expiration?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rove312
Does transferring from Amex Membership Rewards extend the expiration?
Post 10 should provide an answer to your question. (Just read the post, and then follow the first link until you get to what you're asking about.)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:30 pm

I'm not sure that I see a clear answer: there's a link for a transfer from Amex, and the program rules with "Point Forfeiture Policy," including:
  • A qualifying activity is completed when points post or are removed from your account.
  • To maintain an active status in the Choice Privileges Rewards Program and retain accumulated Choice Privileges points, you must engage in qualifying activity, such as completing a qualified point-eligible stay, redeeming Choice Privileges points, earning points from a purchase using your Choice Privileges Visa® card, earning points with one of our partner programs, purchasing points, and referring a friend.*
  • Not all activities count toward maintaining an active status in the Choice Privileges Rewards Program. The following are some examples of non-qualifying activities that do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Choice Privileges Rewards Program: completing a non-eligible stay, registering for a promotion, gifting points (only counts as a qualifying activity for the member who receives the points, not the member who gifts the points).
I guess points post to the accounts in an Amex transfer, but it's always nice to get a definite answer.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rove312
I'm not sure that I see a clear answer: there's a link for a transfer from Amex, and the program rules with "Point Forfeiture Policy," including:

I guess points post to the accounts in an Amex transfer, but it's always nice to get a definite answer.
1. In the message I mentioned, the Choice Hotels representative implied that all the methods of earning in that link count.

2. Isn't a transfer from Amex "earning points with one of our partner programs"?

If you still don't trust it based on all that, all I can suggest is do the smallest transfer possible and see if it works for you (ie, if your expiration date is reset). I'm not sure what more of a "definite answer" you're likely to get before your points expire.

Since it's very likely to work, I think a more product approach than waiting for a "definite answer" would be do the transfer early enough so that in the unlikely case that it doesn't reset your expiration you will still have time to try something else.

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with this, because I stay at Choice hotels many times a year (unless they keep this up all year ), so I've never had to do anything special myself to keep my Choice points alive.

And keep in mind that Choice points expiration couldn't be extended at all until early 2016 (before that, they "hard" expired after 2-2.99 years from when earned). So there's not yet been a long time for people to have tried various ways of extending expiration and reporting it.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 13, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
anyone wondering about extending CP points, AMEX transfers works and points transferred instantly.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:43 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

All members have 18-months to have qualifying activity no their account to keep their points active for an additional 18-months. Examples of qualifying activity are listed below:

- Earning points, miles, or Amtrack Guest Rewards points for a qualifying stay
- Redeeming Choice Privileges rewards points for a free stay, gift cards, magazine subscriptions, etc.
- Earnings points with the Choice Privileges Visa card (U.S. members only)
- Purchasing points
- Referring a friend to Choice Privileges (terms apply)

For additional information regarding activity that does and does not qualify towards preventing your points from expiring, please feel to visit the link below:

https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...#points-expire
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Unfortunately, the day when hotels CSR's would work with you are pretty much over at all brands. Quite a few years ago, I did a lot of stays with Hilton and then stopped, but I still had a lot of points. As they were about to expire I did something that would generate 100 points. It didn't post and I called CS. The CSR rep was perplexed why I was so concerned about this 100 points and I explained that I needed to keep my points from expiring. She said no problem, I will put 100 points in today.

I don't think any CSR in any program will do that today.
Brendan and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Alaska, Skymiles, IHG
What about buying something through Choice's online mall to earn points? https://www.choiceprivilegesmall.com/

Shouldn't this extend it another 18 months?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:01 pm

my points expired last Nov and I had avis rental credit (dated back 03/2018) to choice retrospectively, but choice only agreed to reinstated half of my points ..
I found the expiration about 4 days after expire, but they don't give any courtesy treatment.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by reflexpoint
What about buying something through Choice's online mall to earn points? https://www.choiceprivilegesmall.com/

Shouldn't this extend it another 18 months?
That's an excellent question! Thanks for being a Choice Privileges member. While this is another great way for our members to earn points on the purchases they already make, points would not be extended in this manner. Per the terms and conditions, to remain active in the program and retain your points, you must have at least one of the following activities every 18 consecutive calendar months:
  • Qualifying point-eligible stay (earning points, miles, or Amtrak Guest Rewards points),
  • Redeeming Choice Privileges points (free nights, gift cards etc.)
  • Earning points with the Choice Privileges Visa® card (US members only)
  • Purchasing points
  • Referring a Friend*
To get more details on this facet of the program, check out this link: https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...#points-expire. We hope this information has been helpful. If there's any other questions, comments, or concerns please feel welcome to send us a message. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day! *Julio
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA, IHG, Choice Privileges, Amtrak, Hyatt
How about booking one night at the cheapest Econo Lodge or Rodeway Inn you can find that's above $40 per night before tax.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Because you don't receive points if you don't stay in the room.
To earn points on a point-eligible stay, you must complete the stay in the room that you booked for the entire duration of your reservation. No shows will not be able to earn points on a stay.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:55 am

Points are entered at check-in by the FDC so you have to at least check in. Have had a problem with one property constantly forgetting to add the 200 points, forget about even recognizing status.
The Choice staff monitoring here has been able to get me those points.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Points are entered at check-in by the FDC so you have to at least check in. Have had a problem with one property constantly forgetting to add the 200 points, forget about even recognizing status.
The Choice staff monitoring here has been able to get me those points.
You should count on consistent service at each of our locations. I appreciate you sharing this feedback as one of our frequent members. Were there any other stays where you hadn't noticed the bonus points? It is important to note these points can take up to 8 weeks to reflect on your account. If it's been past this time frame, please send a message our way with your membership number and contact information so we can take another look. Thanks for getting in touch. *Julio
Old May 3, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL, AA, IHG, Choice Privileges, Amtrak, Hyatt
I know at my Econo Lodge stays I'm supposed to get 100 points at check in. Rarely happens. Hotels higher up on the quality level in the Choice ecosystem, its usually not an issue.

When checking you in, they can see right then and there if you are a Choice Privileges member, and what your status is. You would think a light bulb would go off in their heads, telling them to recognize your status and offer up the points at check in.

I'm not expecting to be greeted with celestial choirs when I walk in the door, I just want my damn points without having to point it out to them.

I hit diamond status a few weeks ago, and already have north of 150,000 points so far for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.