Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
That link suggests CAN TWOV will be a good boost to tourism for Guangdong, of which Guangzhou is obviously a part, but it's too bad it can't be used to get to other PRD cities. Then again, whereas passport info is taking for train tickets, hopping on a bus at one of the plethora of urban bus stations isn't quite the same...

Is one reason for this also because CAN is trying to become a transit point to/from Australia?
It would be very nice for SkyTeam folks to be able to use the CZ LAX-CAN flight, which is apparently good for award availability, for trips not only to Australia for also for elsewhere in Asia.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/1...ee_visits.html

Guangzhou attempting to get 72 twov.
That link suggests CAN TWOV will be a good boost to tourism for Guangdong, of which Guangzhou is obviously a part, but it's too bad it can't be used to get to other PRD cities. Then again, whereas passport info is taking for train tickets, hopping on a bus at one of the plethora of urban bus stations isn't quite the same...

Is one reason for this also because CAN is trying to become a transit point to/from Australia?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be very nice for SkyTeam folks to be able to use the CZ LAX-CAN flight, which is apparently good for award availability, for trips not only to Australia for also for elsewhere in Asia.
That would be great for a CAN layover for the rest of my entourage.

Hope this will permit train ride to HKG count as exiting.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Indeed. CZ, regardless of how one views the airline, connects to a bunch of ST points from CAN that other ST carriers may not do so as conveniently. I just mentioned Australia based on anecdotal reports (at airliners.net) of CZ trying to capture some Kangaroo route traffic.

Originally Posted by tentseller
That would be great for a CAN layover for the rest of my entourage.

So...a flight from say CDG-CAN (tranit)-BKK, but in reality you'd rather go to Hong Kong? Or, would you do a TWOV CDG-CAN-HKG, and want to continue on to HK by boat/train, depending on the length of your "layover?"

If I was able to get (ie, if I wasn't American/French) one of those Shenzhen 5-day VOAs, there might be a case to be made. I "guess" the only obstacle is Dongguan, the manufacturing hub wedged in between Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
Old May 5, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Based on the rules for Beijing and Shanghai, I would expect the rules for 72 hour transit without visa for CAN--if it happens--to roughly be as follows:

Must transit, but HKG counts for this as a separate country.

Scheduled time on ground of up to 72 hours, with ticket receipt for onward travel to third country required.

No leaving Guangzhou.

Must arrive and depart from CAN airport. (No cars, boats, or trains.)

Allowed to leave airport and stay in hotel in Guangzhou, but not elsewhere. If staying privately, must register passport with police within 24 hours.

At the beginning, processing will be slow and officials won't know what to do with such travelers.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; C6603 Build/10.1.A.1.434) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.58 Mobile Safari/537.31)

As I recall both cz and ka fly can-HKG so it's not really a problem of you ask me
Old May 6, 2013, 9:52 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; C6603 Build/10.1.A.1.434) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.58 Mobile Safari/537.31)

As I recall both cz and ka fly can-HKG so it's not really a problem of you ask me
Sure, but flying between the two (and making it to HK island or Kowloon, for example) can take as long as taking the train between the two (alighting at Hung Hom).
Old May 6, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tentseller
Ain't going to happen. The idea of 72-hour extended transit without visa is to
1) allow travelers from wealthier countries that are less likely to overstay, to spend money in the immediate area. And
2) encourage people to book long-haul tickets on the Home Boy carrier (CZ in this case). Particularly from Europe and North America to other points in Asia and Australia/NZ.

Allowing a legal transit overland to HKG would defeat both these purposes. The Chinese aren't dumb. I suspect MSP has called it pretty accurately.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:49 pm

They don't check your Visa when you buy a train ticket.

In fact, the last two times I bought a train ticket, they only wanted to know the passport number (as I forgot my passport in the apartment) - or you could simply have a copy of your picture/passport information page with you... anything will work, no worries about that.

The only thing that I would NOT try to do is buying a domestic flight with a 72hrs transfer Visa..
Old May 7, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: various
Visas may not be checked for transportation ticket purchases, but definitely are checked whenever one checks into accommodation. So having one of the 72-hour CAN transit stamps in lieu of a visa, and trying to check into lodging outside Guangzhou city or whatever limits the gov't comes up with, would probably result in being turned away. Although it would be hard to enforce if staying with family or friends in another city, provided one abstained from registering with the police.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
Visas may not be checked for transportation ticket purchases, but definitely are checked whenever one checks into accommodation. So having one of the 72-hour CAN transit stamps in lieu of a visa, and trying to check into lodging outside Guangzhou city or whatever limits the gov't comes up with, would probably result in being turned away. Although it would be hard to enforce if staying with family or friends in another city, provided one abstained from registering with the police.
If you stay in rural areas, there is no need to register within 48 hours Plus, the last time the police didn't turn me away when I wanted to register myself at a local friend was in 2007.. besides "proper" hotel accommodation, it's definitely not very much "enforced" anymore.. (usually hotels do check it world wide, this is not really a "China thing")
Old May 8, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Plus, the last time the police didn't turn me away when I wanted to register myself at a local friend was in 2007.. besides "proper" hotel accommodation, it's definitely not very much "enforced" anymore...
I've had to beg the police to register me a few times because I needed that annoying little piece of paper (the 境外人員臨時在住登録単 they give you) for something or other. Unless they're in "crackdown" mode, nobody seems to care about this rule, least of all the police. Haidian, where for whatever reason the police seem to be a bunch of busybodies with nothing better to do, seems to be the only exception to this.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:39 am

Any ideas when the US Consulate will update their site to show 72 hours? I called Delta and they didn't update their systems yet (even received an email stating I needed a visa) and I'd like to have something to reference other than news articles, international embassies, etc. just in case I have issues w/check-in/boarding.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
Any ideas when the US Consulate will update their site to show 72 hours? I called Delta and they didn't update their systems yet (even received an email stating I needed a visa) and I'd like to have something to reference other than news articles, international embassies, etc. just in case I have issues w/check-in/boarding.
check out the blue text at the top of this thread. It provides you with the official immigration database reference.

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC <oneworld link> (easier to read), <star alliance link>; skyteam link>, etc.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
check out the blue text at the top of this thread. It provides you with the official immigration database reference.
I have that ready along with the printout from the Skyteam site but for some reason DLs system isn't updated and when I call the agents keep referencing the US Consulate site stating the old threshold. I guess I will just have to go with that though if it's not updated.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
I cannot find a link in the wiki, but someone posted a link earlier in this thread for a Shanghai government website explaining TWOV in English. It's the best official source I've seen. You should carry a printout with you.

DL would like to send you to some visa processing agency that presumably pays them a fee for the referral. This outfit's standard is always to encourage you to get a visa in advance, even for places where doing so is an expensive nuisance and entering by buying a visa at the airport is quick, easy, and relatively cheap (Turkey and Indonesia, for example). Even if you think you need a visa, please find your own reputable visa service agency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.