Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by kchitturi
I have a question:

Can I transit across airports in Shanghai? i.e. I am landing in SHA and my departing flight is from PVG within 48 hrs. I satisfy all other requirements for TWOV. Has anyone done this?

TIA
Yes you may do this in either direction. Note that time frame is now either 24 hours or 72 hours for the time allowance, depending on your passport. (48 hours has been superseded.) The Wiki at top of this thread lists the passports eligible for the 72 hours.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:42 am

Just want to confirm, does the 24 stopover permit to leave the airport also apply to Filipinos?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Just want to confirm, does the 24 stopover permit to leave the airport also apply to Filipinos?
Yes. Pretty much any nationality that gets Transit Without Visa privileges (essentially just about anybody able to read an FT forum) may leave the airport on their stopover, after passing through Immigration and getting your transit stamp in the your passport.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
My understanding is that as an Aussie, TWOV allows you to leave the airport for up to 72 hours in Beijing & Shanghai, but no where else. Is this correct?

I potentially have a 12 hour layover in CAN and was hoping to leave the airport and look around. Would I be required to get the full shebang tourist visa in this case?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by qasr
My understanding is that as an Aussie, TWOV allows you to leave the airport for up to 72 hours in Beijing & Shanghai, but no where else. Is this correct?

I potentially have a 12 hour layover in CAN and was hoping to leave the airport and look around. Would I be required to get the full shebang tourist visa in this case?

Thanks!
CAN is the ONLY airport in all of China where we have seen reports of people being detained in the airport, and I'd be willing to bet that by simply showing those guys the rules and explaining your situation, they'd let you out.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:21 pm

I just booked a flight before seeing this 72-hour update. Flying an award ticket route DCA-DTW-ICN-PVG(stopover)-HKG as an outbound.

Scheduled arrival is 8:10 PM into PVG and scheduled departure from PVG is 9:10 PM exactly 73 hours later, what are the odds?! So when does the clock start -- is it from scheduled arrival/departure times or when you actually pass through customs each time? Please help I still have a day to change this if needed.

Last edited by FlyHigh23; Apr 24, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
I just booked a flight before seeing this 72-hour update. Flying an award ticket route DCA-DTW-ICN-PVG(stopover)-HKG as an outbound.

Scheduled arrival is 8:10 PM into PVG and scheduled departure from PVG is 9:10 PM exactly 73 hours later, what are the odds?! So when does the clock start -- is it from scheduled arrival/departure times or when you actually pass through customs each time? Please help I still have a day to change this if needed.
Why even tempt them? There are easily 25 flights a day between SHA and HKG.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:41 am

Scheduled arrival/departure times.

I would NOT risk this. BIG chance they will not even let you checkin/board for your flight to PVG, and even BIGGER risk you'll not be let into the Peoples Republic upon arrival but deported back to ICN.

Book an earlier flight to HKG.

If you can't, get a Visa.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
An advantage, beyond complying with PRC law, to booking an earlier flight to HKG is that the 910p flight arrives well after the AEX is closed. You could almost use the difference between the cost of an AEX ticket and a late night taxi to cover the price of a Spring Airlines ticket ($46) outright.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Scheduled arrival/departure times.

I would NOT risk this. BIG chance they will not even let you checkin/board for your flight to PVG, and even BIGGER risk you'll not be let into the Peoples Republic upon arrival but deported back to ICN.

If you can't, get a Visa.
I can get the visa just would rather not pay if I don't have to. The MU 9:10 PM flight was the only direct and one of the very few Skyteam award seats avail that day, even had to go from O award to X on MU, (FWP?) to HKG (the KE 8:10 PM flight arrival is better than anything available too). My next best option is to find a CR that knows how to book Xiamen Air and take the 3:05 PM flight (latest avail dep) from SHA but that has a layover in JJ (6:45 dep) before going to HKG -- would that be alright?

Last edited by FlyHigh23; Apr 25, 2013 at 6:43 am
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:45 am

I can get the visa no prob (living in WAS) but would rather not pay if I don't have to. The MU 9:10 PM flight was one of the very few Skyteam award seats avail that day, even had to go from O award to X on MU, (FWP?) to HKG (the KE 8:10 PM flight arrival is better than anything available too). My next best option is to find a CR that knows how to book Xiamen Air and take the 3:05 PM flight (latest avail dep) from SHA but that has a layover in JJ before going to HKG -- would that be alright?
No. $46 for a nonstop on Spring is far better than booking a "free" flight with a stopover (I don't know where JJ is, but I'm guessing its airport isn't very nice). But, if you really want the Xiamen Air flight, just call the DL Beijing office, and get them to book it for you themselves (i.e. if you follow their phone prompts the way they want you to, you'll get rerouted to Singapore, and those people are MUCH harder to deal with).
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moondog
No. $46 for a nonstop on Spring is far better than booking a "free" flight with a stopover (I don't know where JJ is, but I'm guessing its airport isn't very nice). But, if you really want the Xiamen Air flight, just call the DL Beijing office, and get them to book it for you themselves (i.e. if you follow their phone prompts the way they want you to, you'll get rerouted to Singapore, and those people are MUCH harder to deal with).
presumably the OP has a return portion of the ticket? so flying spring might auto cancel the return if a no-show on the pvg-hkg sector of the original ticket?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:22 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I can get the visa just would rather not pay if I don't have to. The MU 9:10 PM flight was the only direct and one of the very few Skyteam award seats avail that day, even had to go from O award to X on MU, (FWP?) to HKG (the KE 8:10 PM flight arrival is better than anything available too). My next best option is to find a CR that knows how to book Xiamen Air and take the 3:05 PM flight (latest avail dep) from SHA but that has a layover in JJ (6:45 dep) before going to HKG -- would that be alright?
Is JJ Jinjiang Airport (Quanzhou?) Since that sounds like a direct flight on the same aircraft (SHA-JJN-HKG), I wouldnt worry as much as if I had to transit JJN to catch another flight, in the event the connecting one was cancelled.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
presumably the OP has a return portion of the ticket? so flying spring might auto cancel the return if a no-show on the pvg-hkg sector of the original ticket?
Correct - I have a return flight (open-jaw) ICN-DTW-DCA so skipping a leg is not an option

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Is JJ Jinjiang Airport (Quanzhou?) Since that sounds like a direct flight on the same aircraft (SHA-JJN-HKG), I wouldnt worry as much as if I had to transit JJN to catch another flight, in the event the connecting one was cancelled.
It has a layover (and plane change) actually in XMN (not JJN - sorry wrong time). If the connection is cancelled, or has a delayed departure time, would that be considered my fault and cause issues w/the visa??? If so, with the 6:45 PM XMN-HKG dep time that is cutting it close!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:26 pm

Forget the JJ stopover plan. Once you add any other city to the PVG/SHA flight--making this a double-stop transit in China--then the 72 hour transit without visa privilege evaporates and you are down to 24 hours to do the entire thing. This means that your .......ICN-PVG/SHA-JJN-HKG puts a 24 hour limit on the in-China part.

If you can do an open jaws award by keeping what you have but ending the inbound at PVG, buying one of those Spring Airlines tickets to HKG separately per the moondog strategy, then keeping your return from HKG, do that. Otherwise, keep your award if it makes more financial sense, and get a Chinese visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.