Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lordlucan
Do you think its okay to travel MNL-PVG with Zest Air. Stay around 60 hours then connect to UA award PVG-NRT-JFK. Anyone had any experience doing TWOV with any Asian LCC. The last thing I want is to have hassle at the airport.
TWOV is not related to flying LCC or any airline - if you follow the rules then should be fine.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sl00001
TWOV is not related to flying LCC or any airline - if you follow the rules then should be fine.
Indeed. The only potential issue (and this can happen with any airline though) is to make sure Zest Air knows the rules!
Old May 17, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Indeed. The only potential issue (and this can happen with any airline though) is to make sure Zest Air knows the rules!
Thats what I am thinking, Zest Air was brought by Air Asia I read. The fare was only 621 PHP. May be if I print the TWOV rules from the Chinese embassy web page from Manila. That would help out if a problem crops up at check in.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thats what I am thinking, Zest Air was brought by Air Asia I read. The fare was only 621 PHP. May be if I print the TWOV rules from the Chinese embassy web page from Manila. That would help out if a problem crops up at check in.
My two concerns with a low cost carrier could be (a) some pax not being aware of visa rules so the airline might be overly strict in trying to deny uplift and (b) the LCC may not have the resources to fully investigate the actual rules in a timely manner (since they try and run on skeleton staff).

I think allowing plenty of time at check-in, and a print out of the rules 9and whatever else you can get your hands on) should be fine!
Old May 18, 2013, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
My two concerns with a low cost carrier could be (a) some pax not being aware of visa rules so the airline might be overly strict in trying to deny uplift and (b) the LCC may not have the resources to fully investigate the actual rules in a timely manner (since they try and run on skeleton staff).

I think allowing plenty of time at check-in, and a print out of the rules 9and whatever else you can get your hands on) should be fine!
I would also carry a recently-dated printout of the rules from TIMATIC.

It might be good to try to contact the airline in advance and ask them to check their resources to verify that they show that TWOV is OK and then to add a comment to this effect to your itinerary.

Be absolutely certain that you have hard copies (plural in case the LCC wants to keep one) of the itinerary (showing reservation) and receipt (showing ticket number) for your onward UA flights.

Be sure to arrive easily at the airport and gate in case of trouble.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would be surprised if the Chinese embassy in Manila has these rules on their website because the 72 hour TWOV is not available to citizens of the Philippines. This also means that your airline is likely to be unfamiliar with the rules.

Someone here supplied a link to a Shangahi local government official website in English with an announcement of the 72 hour TWOV new rules and a summary of these rules. Bring a hard copy of that too to show to your LCC.

AFAIK the Chinese embassies in the USA do not have the new TWOV rules posted on their websites which have not been updated in several years. Other than TIMATIC, it's hard to find any official documents proving that TWOV is now allowed.

BTW, the answers here assume that you are a citizen of the USA or some other country that for which 72 hour TWOV is allowed. If you have a Philippino passport (only) you are apparently not eligible to do this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm Reason: added "72 hour" one more time to emphasize that this post is about the 72 hour TWOV rules
Old May 18, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: various
TWOV is available to citizens of the Philippines, but is limited to 24 hours at all Chinese airports, as measured from scheduled arrival to scheduled departure. Either one or two in-China transit airports are allowed, but total is always 24 hours. You may leave the airport if your time permits. Flying out the Phils, your airline may or may not give you a hassle before allowing boarding, so have some documentation handy. Chinese Immigration on arrival will not be a problem if you have a conforming transit.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
A quick question:
If I'm travelling FCO-PEK-PVG-SYD, is this itin valid for a 72-hr TWOV?
Old May 22, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
A quick question:
If I'm travelling FCO-PEK-PVG-SYD, is this itin valid for a 72-hr TWOV?
No, because you are transiting two airports, you are only eligible for 24 hour TWOV.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Scifience
No, because you are transiting two airports, you are only eligible for 24 hour TWOV.
Ok, so it's still under TWOV but only for 24 hours. Thanks.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:59 pm

Called the embassy in DC and they said they do not publish any info since this was issued directly from PRC. They directed me to the main site and found this:

http://www.mps.gov.cn/n16/n84147/n84196/3487899.html

Is there an updated version?
Old May 28, 2013, 5:10 pm

Where's passport control when you fly Tokyo-Shanghai-Beijing on MU272

I need some serious help...

We just found out we can only get a two-entry Chinese tourist visa after booking a trip that goes London-Beijing-Xi'an-Hong Kong-Shanghai-Japan-Beijing-London.

One of our entries would be the first, and the second would be from Hong Kong to Shanghai. But then we're possibly going to have trouble re-entering China to fly back to London because we're flying China Eastern Flight 272 (MU272) and it touches down in Shanghai on the way to Beijing.

Beijing Capital airport allows you to stay in Beijing for 72 hours (as of January of this year) if you're flying to a third country (which we are). But if you go through passport control at Shanghai Pu Dong you can also stay for 72 hours without a visa, BUT you have to stay in Shanghai.

Basically, China's making life extremely difficult. From what I can find out about this flight, it merely "touches down" in Shanghai and I'm still waiting to hear back from the airline about whether or not we need to clear passport control in Shanghai, but my experience in every other country is that if you touch down in the country and then continue on within that country, you have to clear customs and immigration at the first point you touch down.

Has anyone ever flown on MU272?

And then, worst case scenario, does anyone have any idea how a Canadian residing in the UK can obtain a Chinese visa in Japan?

Thanks!

Alexis
Old May 28, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
MU272 is also sold as a domestic flight (PVG-PEK) which means that it will almost certainly land at T3-C (domestic terminal in Beijing) - which means in turn that you will have to clear immigration at PVG (Shanghai).

I am guessing that the problem is that you plan to stay in Beijing for a couple of days at the end of your trip (if not and you are flying Beijing-London within 24 hours of arriving in Shanghai you are okay under the 24 hour TWOV rule).

Getting visas without in a country without residence (Japan in your case) is generally tricky. It may be easier to pick up a new double entry visa in Hong Kong. How many days do you have there?

Also is the stop if Shanghai before Japan for less than 72 hours? If so you could claim TWOV for that and use the second entry at the end of your trip.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
To me it would almost be easier to no show the Mu 272 and fly direct to Beijing. Depends what your time is worth against going and getting a transit visa.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
To me it would almost be easier to no show the Mu 272 and fly direct to Beijing. Depends what your time is worth against going and getting a transit visa.
If you no show, the remainder of your ticket will be cancelled. Please don't try this unless you want to take the trans-Siberian railroad back to London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.