Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: various
YuropFlyer's experience notwithstanding, I also cannot recommend that people on TWOV spend the night outside the municipality (Beijing or Shanghai) they are transiting through. Anecdotal evidence reveals that particularly for those on 72 hour extended TWOV, there are random spot checks by Immigration and PSB to hotels that are listed by the passenger. If yours happens to be one of those checks and you didn't register at that hotel, not cool. There are also many hotels in Suzhou, Hangzhou, etc. (particularly the ones foreigners are most likely to stay at) that are well aware of the requirements and would refuse to register you if they see a TWOV stamp, as it puts them on the hook, too.

On a more general note, the objective of this more relaxed attitude and extended transit allowance was to encourage passengers from low-risk countries to spend money in that municipality. Too many passengers flouting the rules could lead to a suspension of the extended transit period and we go back to 24 hours for all. What the Chinese can giveth, they can also taketh away.

If you are transiting through PEK or SHA/PVG and want to do a bullet-trainable daytrip to (respectively) Tianjin or Hangzhou, Suzhou, or Nanjing, fine--there's little risk in doing so. Just get back to the "home" city for the overnight.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
YuropFlyer's experience notwithstanding, I also cannot recommend that people on TWOV spend the night outside the municipality (Beijing or Shanghai) they are transiting through. Anecdotal evidence reveals that particularly for those on 72 hour extended TWOV, there are random spot checks by Immigration and PSB to hotels that are listed by the passenger. If yours happens to be one of those checks and you didn't register at that hotel, not cool. There are also many hotels in Suzhou, Hangzhou, etc. (particularly the ones foreigners are most likely to stay at) that are well aware of the requirements and would refuse to register you if they see a TWOV stamp, as it puts them on the hook, too.

On a more general note, the objective of this more relaxed attitude and extended transit allowance was to encourage passengers from low-risk countries to spend money in that municipality. Too many passengers flouting the rules could lead to a suspension of the extended transit period and we go back to 24 hours for all. What the Chinese can giveth, they can also taketh away.

If you are transiting through PEK or SHA/PVG and want to do a bullet-trainable daytrip to (respectively) Tianjin or Hangzhou, Suzhou, or Nanjing, fine--there's little risk in doing so. Just get back to the "home" city for the overnight.
Good advice- I think in the interim we will continue to advise our colleagues to either get the required visa or ensure meetings are scheduled within Shanghai or Beijing "proper".
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie

If Shanghai TWOV has this limitation, please show us. I have never seen it.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I did TWOV at PVG, the official asked me where my hotel was. He apparently needed to verify that I would be staying in Shnaghai. Apparently the question arose because I wrote Hongta Hotel, which is the new name of the former St Regis in Pudong, on my form. (When I said that it was a few blocks from the Century Avenue subway station, he was satisfied.) I had my hotel reservation confirmation printouts with my itinerary and ticket printouts, but I don't remember whether whether this was inspected in front of my, although the papers could have been examined during the time they were out of my presence, when the official at the desk went to show my documents to the supervisor or whatever.

If one plans to stay outside of Shanghai--and I do not recommend doing this--it might be wise to have a dummy hotel booking within Shanghai and to write that hotel name on the form. Worst case might be that the outside hotel refuses to accept you but keeps the deposit and you return to Shanghai and find a place to stay for the night, maybe at a high rate.
What if you tell them you're staying with a friend in Shanghai? Are they going to verify that? Just tell them you're staying with Mr. Xiao Zheng in the Hilton

By the way, when I used my last TWOV and I stayed in NKG on private property (2 nights) they did NOT ask me for a hotel name. Good advise to have at least some hotel name memorised should they ask for a hotel but you're not planning to stay within Shanghai.

Do you have little stamps from China? Since my passport is pretty much stamped all over the place, and a good part of it are Chinese Visas/stamps (About 1/3 of it), maybe they assumed "he knows what he's doing"?

As said, I'm really not too worried about the "stay in Shanghai rule", and if you're indeed, you can just book a cheap hotel in Shanghai, and do day-trips or overnights from this base - once you're in China, it seems at least for me, no one cares on which Visa you are, as long as you depart on time With reasonable hotels that can still be had for 150 RMB a night, it's not too expensive either

edit: just seen the last three posts: I agree that having a hotel in Shanghai is the better thing to do, but if there is an emergency and you can't get a Visa, I would still take the risk. But if you don't have any urgent need to stay overnight in any cities around (PEK or PVG), then returning for the night to PVG is probably the safer way to do, I agree with jiejie
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I did TWOV, there were three expired multientry visas in my passport, all used for PVG entrances and PVG or CAN departures, so the immigration official should have known that I was familiar with Shanghai.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by moondog
Here's a handy English/Chinese version from an official source. Please look under item 6.

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/chn/...en/t560316.htm
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
When I stayed last year at the Doubletree in Kunshan they needed to phone the police to see if it was OK. Fortunately the FOM had worked previously at the Hilton Shanghai and as such new how to manage a TWOV. The Front Desk staff at (the admittedly very new hotel- just opened at the time) did not know how to manage- and I had stayed there previously with a multiple entry visa so they already had me in their computer.

If there is not this limitation please advise as it would be really great when I have fast trips to Suzhou and Hangzhou.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:12 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Those sauna places will offer a place to stay overnight without passport check.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
pssssssst!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alas my business meetings are not typically held in the sauna places
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Alas my business meetings are not typically held in the sauna places
I would venture to say more business deals have been closed at ktvs then in offices.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would venture to say more business deals have been closed at ktvs then in offices.
And I wouldn't venture to say it on Flyertalk
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
And I wouldn't venture to say it on Flyertalk
I am talking straight business, drinking is an important aspect in determining trust factor.
In china if a person will not drink with you, you can't trust them. Drunkeness offers insight as to trustworthyness.
Ganbei!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am talking straight business, drinking is an important aspect in determining trust factor.
In china if a person will not drink with you, you can't trust them. Drunkeness offers insight as to trustworthyness.
Ganbei!
Understood completely.

And on more than one flight I have returned to Europe or North America with quite the headache (although very trustworthy).

Ganbei!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Binge drinking over hot pot, then off to sauna is when you know you have sealed the deal.

Ganbei!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.