Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post and can edit this Wikipost.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa) - UNDER 24 HOURS: Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit [[TIRULES/R32]] time of 24 hours. Transit incl. two stops, with a total transit time of 24 hours, within China (People's Rep.) is permitted.

For other China visa information: China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

From IATA / TIMATIC: "CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): (under) 72-HOUR VISA-FREE TRANSIT AT BEIJING, SHANGHAI, GUANGZHOU, AND CHENGDU (ONLY)

In order to avail of 72 hour TWOV, persons must remain in one of these 4 regions, and arrive/depart via air. In other words, flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai is fine for <24 hour transits, but is prohibited for 24-72 hour transits. (moondog, 9/10/2013)

CA175/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SYD), CA177/8 (PEK<->PVG<->MEL), CA155/6 (PEK<->PVG<->SDJ), CA153/4 (PEK<->DLC<->HIJ), CA951/2 (PEK<->DLC<->NRT), CA953/4 (PEK<->DLC<->FUK), CA977/8 (PEK<->XMN<->CGK), CA945/6 (PEK<->CTU<->KHI) and CA905/6 (PEK<->KMG<->RGN) are not non-stop international flights from Beijing; therefore passengers taking these flights do not qualify for the 72-hour visa-free policy in Beijing because the point of entry/exit into China is the intermediate stop, not PEK. Transiting China with these flights is OK without a visa as long as you enter and exit China - intermediate stops included - within 24 hours. If your time in China is over 24 hours, a visa is necessary. (kaimanawa, Jan 2014)

Effective from 1 January 2013, nationals of 45 countries transiting through Beijing (PEK) and Shanghai (PVG and SHA) to a third country (includes Hong Kong or Macau SARs) and holding confirmed onward tickets are permitted to enter China (People's Rep.) without a visa, for max. 72 hours. Passengers must arrive in and depart from the same city. This facility is available for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Fed., Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and holders of British Citizen passports.+ - 28 Jan 2013, c/o drewguy

"Nationals of USA holding confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours at Beijing (PEK), Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) or Shanghai Pudong (PVG), provided arriving in and departing from the same city. " (c/o Akiestar)

China Embassy website: "3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing or Shanghai to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport (PEK) or Pudong International Airport (PVG) as well as Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)." (c/o anacapamalibu) (You are expected to remain generally within the Port of Entry municipality and to depart from the same POE within 72 hours.)

These are merely advisory summaries and not meant to be comprehensive; please read the thread, with TIMATIC: <star alliance link>; skyteam link> (easier to read), etc.

See China visa FAQ post here
and be aware: China visa requirements and procedures are due to change 1 July 2013.

Note that there's a separate and much shorter thread here in the China forum devoted to TWOV at PVG/Shanghai. It has some details of the airport setup for TWOV at PVG, especially the new 72 hour rule.

Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are considered 3rd countries for the purpose of TWOV.

This is what constitutes "transit" in the eyes of Chinese officials:

1) You must FLY in from one country and out to a different country NONSTOP
*Cruise ship passengers are reportedly going to get TWOV privileges soon
2) The Chinese only care about the segments that touch PRC soil
-this means that it's totally fine to go to China from the US and back as long as you connect in a third country in one direction
3) For 72 hour TWOV you must arrive and depart from the same Chinese city
4) For 24 hour TWOV, you can arrive and depart from anywhere by plane (e.g. into Guangzhou and out from Wulumuqi is fine)

moondog, 2/2/2014

Print Wikipost

FAQ: PRC Visa-Free Transit (AKA Transit Without Visa or "TWOV")

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by whyflyguy
Not sure if traveling in from Hong Kong qualifies as a separate country according to the 72 hour visa free transit rules. Does my travel itinerary qualify for the 72 hour visa free transit or should I get the visa to be safe? Does anyone know an official place I can either go (Embassy Website) or call an embassy to answer my question? Can you just call a Chinese embassy and ask questions?
hong kong is a third country for chinese visa purposes. you are flying HKG-PEK-USA - you qualify for the 72 hour transit without visa.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by whyflyguy
I am getting conflicting answers about this question, I am not sure if I need to obtain a Chinese visa or not.
I can confirm what poster above said. You do not need a Chinese visa to transit PEK between HKG and USA, if <72 hours. Block out the conflicting answers and forget about calling the Embassy, this one is definite.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the China Forum!

Yes, Air Asia is now using PVG. A lot of people also don't know that in 2012, Air Asia moved over from TSN (Tianjin) to PEK, where extended 72-hour transits are possible also.

One thing to consider: how aware (or not) are Air Asia ground/check-in staff in KUL, on the extended TWOV policy for eligible passport-holders? And if not, will they hassle people who have no Chinese visas or even deny boarding?

jwsm, if you could return to the thread after your trip, please report your experience. We don't really have a lot of data points with intl transit-without-visa passengers, where the first leg (into China) is on Air Asia.
Thanks for the welcome, jiejie!

Yes, I'm worried about that, too. I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new visa before leaving to avoid the possibility of having to deal with these issues and finding myself in a messy situation where I'm totally at the mercy of airline staff or the entry/exit authorities at PVG. Will keep you all posted.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jwsm
Thanks for the welcome, jiejie!

Yes, I'm worried about that, too. I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new visa before leaving to avoid the possibility of having to deal with these issues and finding myself in a messy situation where I'm totally at the mercy of airline staff or the entry/exit authorities at PVG. Will keep you all posted.
you could also get to the airport early, allowing sufficient time for Air Asia to contact immigration if they have a problem.

you won't have any problem in China - they are totally across the rules.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:50 am

To second LHR/MEL/Europe FF, Chinese immigration isn't your problem, it's clearly uneducated staff at Airline counters. However, having a printout of the rules with you should solve it, and just to be sure, arrive at least 1 hour prior to counter closure so they could check up with immigration if they aren't sure. Don't worry as there is nothing to worry about, just don't cut it too close (like on any international flight) - Air Asia X will be operating flights to Shanghai and Beijing for a while when you're flying, and they will definitely have had pax before you on the same situation. Have your printout of the visa rules, your ongoing eticket printout, and enough time ready when checking in, and it will be all fine ^
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:51 am

I'd personally take the chance, but as above posters said, would come armed with a print of the rules off Timatic, also printout of your onward itinerary and ticket # on a different PNR, and arrive at the airport an extra hour earlier in case the point needs to be argued. As you won't be the initial guinea-pig for Air Asia, chances are decent it will be working smoothly and the agents will know about 72 hours' visa-free transit in Shanghai.

Chinese Immigration in Shanghai will not be a problem, that is for certain.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:17 am

Thanks jiejie, LHR and YuropFlyer.

My wife wants to play it safe and really wants me to get a new visa before we go. I, OTOH, really don't want to pay for a new visa and the third-party visa service fees if I don't have to. I'm pretty confident that if I follow your tips/suggestions and do as you all suggested, I won't have any problems. Now, if I can convince the wife.....
Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jwsm
Thanks jiejie, LHR and YuropFlyer.

My wife wants to play it safe and really wants me to get a new visa before we go. I, OTOH, really don't want to pay for a new visa and the third-party visa service fees if I don't have to. I'm pretty confident that if I follow your tips/suggestions and do as you all suggested, I won't have any problems. Now, if I can convince the wife.....
print out the last couple of pages of FT and show her

provided you turn up early for your air asia flight (and I think 1 hour is cutting it a bit fine - maybe increase it to two hours?

you might also consider the red carpet service or whatever its called from Air Asia. I understand the check-in counters for that service are pretty empty so maybe the agent will have plenty of time to assist you properly?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
provided you turn up early for your air asia flight (and I think 1 hour is cutting it a bit fine - maybe increase it to two hours?
I wasn't talking about one hour before departure. I was talking about taking his normal arrival time at check-in desk (obviously well before the cutoff deadline), and backing it up another hour earlier. By my estimate, that's at least 2.5 hours before departure. I'm not sure how early Air Asia opens its check-in at KUL or SIN, but likely not more than 3 hours beforehand.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:21 am

China visa but first a Pudong- TWOV

Dear FTs

I know that there has to be a thread about my problem but I am too stupid to find the right search terms.

I want to fly Europe- PVG (1 day stopover/ TWOV)-ICN-PVG (here I would start to use my China visa for a conference, 7 days)- KMG-HKG-Europe.

Can I use the 72 hours TWOV while I have an active but unused China visa in my passport? I am travelling with a German passport.

Does anybody have any experience with this. The visa process is kind of icky for me as I do not live in a country where it is easy to get one

Thanks in advance for answers or redirecting me to the right thread!

Last edited by Bookworm; Feb 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bookworm
Dear FTs

I know that there has to be a thread about my problem but I am too stupid to find the right search terms.

I want to fly Europe- PVG (1 day stopover/ TWOV)-ICN-PVG (here I would start to use my China visa for a conference, 7 days)- KMG-HKG-Europe.

Can I use the 72 hours TWOV while I have an active but unused China visa in my passport? I am travelling with a German passport.

Does anybody have any experience with this. The visa process is kind of icky for me as I do not live in a country where it is easy to get one

Thanks in advance for answers or redirecting me to the right thread!
You're in the right forum on FT, might as well answer you here rather than redirect.

You can do this and it actually happens rather frequently. When you get to PVG the first time, look for any line having to do with Transits without Visa. If the officer swipes your passport and then goes thumbing through it for the visa, tell him that you don't want to use the visa right now, you're just transiting to ICN, and will use the visa when you return to China. They see this a lot and it's quite OK to do --- just make sure you get your intent out there so they pull out the transit stamp not the regular entry one. Have a hard copy of your itinerary printed out in case officer wants to see it.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. Now I just have to fugure out how to get the most segments on MU.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=Bookworm;20200785]Thanks for the fast reply. Now I just have to fugure out how to get the most segments on MU./QUOTE]

Have you ever flown on MU, or read our threads about them (in the other forum)? Most of us try our best to avoid them all together, let alone trying to slot in additional segments.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
[QUOTE=moondog;20201243]
Originally Posted by Bookworm
Thanks for the fast reply. Now I just have to fugure out how to get the most segments on MU./QUOTE]

Have you ever flown on MU, or read our threads about them (in the other forum)? Most of us try our best to avoid them all together, let alone trying to slot in additional segments.
You're talking domestic right? Cause I took your suggestion to fly China-Japan on MU in J and loved it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=mnredfox;20207933]
Originally Posted by moondog

You're talking domestic right? Cause I took your suggestion to fly China-Japan on MU in J and loved it.
China-Japan is one of MU's only shining stars. They have ~30 Japanese FA's based in Shanghai, and everyone of them that I've met is seriously dedicated to customer service. But, their existence doesn't help wrt the ground service.

RT PVG-HIJ is only 4500 JL miles (in Y)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.