Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by moondog
In light of these recent reports, I no longer actively endorse not registering.
It looks like immigration is enforcing the registration requirement for any visit in the last two years. Anyone in that period now faces refused entry with TWOV (if they didn't register).

It was an inconvenient rule, but very clear.

Thankfully Immigration seems to have been fairly pragmatic... the place I usually stay apparently used to do some sort of 'notification' rather than 'registration' for guests. Immigration have accepted this for previous stays (but not going forward).

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; May 19, 2019 at 1:54 am
Old May 19, 2019, 9:13 am

So, I'm inferring from the above few exchanges that if one has a valid Visa, then the requirement to register is more laxed and "may not" be enforced to the letter?
Old May 19, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
So, I'm inferring from the above few exchanges that if one has a valid Visa, then the requirement to register is more laxed and "may not" be enforced to the letter?
The requirement to register within 24 hours (metro) is still there on all arrivals cards, including whether you have a full visa or other means of entry.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:22 am

The difference is that there's an explicit provision in the TWOV regulations setting out a two-year ban on those who "seriously" disregard the registration rules. Not to say you should disregard the rules if you have a visa, of course.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by 889
The difference is that there's an explicit provision in the TWOV regulations setting out a two-year ban on those who "seriously" disregard the registration rules. Not to say you should disregard the rules if you have a visa, of course.
By law failing to register is subject to a fine of up to CNY2000.

Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China
Old May 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
And if you are at an AirBnB or staying privately, you may need to actively complete registration on your own initiation (but it will require the homeowner to go with you).
Unless something has changed recently, you do not need the homeowner to go with you -- I stayed in an Airbnb and just needed to get a piece of paper from my host (I believe it was a photocopy of her ID and a photocopy of her registration at that address) and then went to register at the police station by myself. I did this in Shanghai and it took about 15-20 minutes. They also needed a photocopy of my passport ID page and visa page, and proof that I had arrived in Shanghai within the past 24 hours (I showed them a train itinerary on ctrip on my phone, but cancelled tickets would be a safer bet).

I was expecting to have to do it in Chinese but the officer assigned to the registration window spoke very good English and the form was bilingual -- YMMV outside of major cities of course. Overall the process was easier than I was expecting.

One thing I'd like more clarity about is if there is any registration requirement on overnight trains.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Unless something has changed recently, you do not need the homeowner to go with you ..
it's probaly changed the other way When I was first living in Shnaghai the owner of my apartment had to come with me with all their ID and the papers for the property. Maybe there still wasn't a requirement for the owner to be there but it was certainly easier as (a) the local police didn't speak English and (b) I'm not sure if the owner would have been happy for me to have all their original documents!
Old May 20, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it's probaly changed the other way When I was first living in Shnaghai the owner of my apartment had to come with me with all their ID and the papers for the property. Maybe there still wasn't a requirement for the owner to be there but it was certainly easier as (a) the local police didn't speak English and (b) I'm not sure if the owner would have been happy for me to have all their original documents!
1. Every PSB has its own policies, which you will learn about after you get there
2. However, the "owner present" requirement seems to have bitten the dust everywhere
3. I've never been asked for original documents
4. It's nice that threeoh's host left documents and instructions for him, but this is not common
5. The language issue didn't occur to me, but now that you mention it, even when I was living in Xintiandi (i.e. lots of foreigners), the PSB people didn't speak any English
-the drill there was pretty easy, though; passport + lease, and no forms to fill out
Old May 20, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I had pretty good luck with the PSB in the area of Xujiahui where I lived. Didn't have much of an issue with communication.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: various
One thing I'd like more clarity about is if there is any registration requirement on overnight trains.
No, you do not have to register anywhere if you are taking an overnight train. However, in these troubled times, I'd recommend saving the ticket until you exit China on that trip, in case Immigration decides to punch up your record in the database and sees a gap. Presenting a ticket stub can forestall any issues. Next best thing would be the confirmation of the train reservation...not proof that you were actually on the train, but pretty good evidence. This can be carried hard copy or electronically. When paper tickets eventually go by the wayside, electronic trail will be the only proof.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
No, you do not have to register anywhere if you are taking an overnight train. However, in these troubled times, I'd recommend saving the ticket until you exit China on that trip, in case Immigration decides to punch up your record in the database and sees a gap. Presenting a ticket stub can forestall any issues. Next best thing would be the confirmation of the train reservation...not proof that you were actually on the train, but pretty good evidence. This can be carried hard copy or electronically. When paper tickets eventually go by the wayside, electronic trail will be the only proof.
Great to know. Yes, I definitely keep all my tickets, boarding passes, and hotel receipts until I leave. Even in Europe that has saved me hassle when leaving.

I was worried when applying for my visa, before my trip, because they wanted to see hotels for every night but one night I was planning to be on the train. I printed out an itinerary from ctrip.com of the train I planned to take (I had not yet bought the tickets) and that seemed to work fine for the visa office. I had also made a cancellable hotel reservation for that night just in case but I did not show that to them.

One snag I ran into in applying for the visa, for the benefit of those reading this thread, is that the booking.com confirmations I printed out did not have my name. They had confirmation number, price, last 4 of credit card, etc. and were in English and Chinese but they didn't have my name and that was a problem for them. I had to print out the cover emails that said "Dear threooh," and that worked. It's always something you don't think of.

Kind of ridiculous the visa office wants proof of hotel for every night you're there and then turns around and issues you a 10-year multi-entry visa. They seem to be fine letting you in for the following 9.5 years without any prior notice of your itinerary.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:44 am

I've said this several times before here, but I'm sure those posts are well buried now.

Basically, when applying for visas. I am a strong advocate of the KISS principle.

Assuming you are American, book and hold a ticket on AA.com (different than other channels because you don't need to put down a cc). Print out the confirmation.

Book a hotel for the same dates (again, reserve but don't put down a cc), and print.
​​​​​​
Some people feel this approach is dishonest. The thing is, your objective is to get a visa, and changing your plans is completely okay. Furthermore, the girls at the consulates also prefer simple itineraries.
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:27 am

Kind of ridiculous the visa office wants proof of hotel for every night you're there and then turns around and issues you a 10-year multi-entry visa. They seem to be fine letting you in for the following 9.5 years without any prior notice of your itinerary.
This may depend on which embassy. The one in SF didn't require any proof or documentation of hotel stays.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:31 am

This may depend on which embassy. The one in SF didn't require any proof or documentation of hotel stays.
Fair. I was at the Chicago consulate.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:32 am

Reserving a hotel on Expedia takes less than two minutes.
​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.