Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:36 pm

I would check "Other" and put "Lawyer."
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by 889
I would check "Other" and put "Lawyer."
Don't you still have to list "Employer" in section 1.17 if you put Other/Lawyer? I guess I'm not sure what the least offensive response would be so I'm following this with avid interest! Maybe it depends on which federal agency?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:52 am

Of course he lists his employer below. So like I said, he's simply and accurately describing himself as Lawyer, Federal Maritime Commission, say. Unless there's something especially sensitive involved here, I think the poster may be over-thinking this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:50 pm

It's not so much that I'm over thinking rather, I'm a little hesitant to mark "other" and then in employer it show that the address denotes "federal". I appreciate your help though! Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: various
I don't think this is a big deal nor that working for the Federal Maritime Commission will cause any heartburn. I'd just tick the employee box and use your regular title/occupation and address. You could also just truncate the employer name to "Maritime Commission" and use the street address but not the building name (if you actually work in a Federal Building).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:52 am

I know one member of the army based in South Korea and another who is an air force pilot and he got their visas without issues.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by JPDM
I know one member of the army based in South Korea and another who is an air force pilot and he got their visas without issues.
The issue is more with the US government side. Some government and defence contractor employees may need to get foreign visit plans approved and have to debrief after visits. Getting a visa is usually not where the problem is.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by 889
There are jobs that give problems -- e.g., media work -- but I don't recall any reports of problems from Federal workers as such. Just follow the general rule and be concise: "Lawyer, Federal Maritime Commission."
Agreed.

Although the visa officers speak English well, they don't have the same grasp of the English language as us native speakers. My job title is something that most people don't really understand unless you work in my industry. When I listed that on my Visa application, the Visa officer had no idea what I was talking about and I was questioned on that aspect, and he made me amend my job title to something much more generic, even though it wasn't entirely accurate.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
went to the ny embassy on thursday, other than just being really unorganized in terms of who should stand where, was in and out in about 40 mins. Only question they asked was about my self employment which i had like a sort of sell sheet sort of thing that i brought with me about our company and the things we sell. She just read that and said come back on tuesday to pick it up. Went back on tuesday same 30-40 min wait, paid $140 and walked out with a 10 year business visa. I just used a passport photo i had printed at costco to renew my passport. They didnt even really look at the reservations or plane tickets, just skimmed everything really fast.

btw my second nationality is turkish and they didnt even question it.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:33 pm

Will I run into a problem when I apply for a ten year visa and provide flight and hotel stay details, but for whatever reason
dates will change and I cannot/will not travel as planned? Will the visa still be valid?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Will I run into a problem when I apply for a ten year visa and provide flight and hotel stay details, but for whatever reason
dates will change and I cannot/will not travel as planned? Will the visa still be valid?
no issue in general.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
no issue in general.
Thanks for quick response.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:36 am

Quick follow up. Someone earlier recommended a company in Chicago, China Visa Solutions ( 10 Year Chinese visa for $49. China Visa Solutions helps you to get a China visa at low price. ). I checked out their reviews, which are
impeccable and decided to give them a try. Truly one of the most memorable and positive experiences. Shawn proof read the forms, I fedexed everything to his office
and within less than a week I had my passport back with the stamped 10 year visa inside. Also his fees are very reasonable. I am really impressed and highly recommend
using his services. Now it's time to plan for our trip to China.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Quick follow up. Someone earlier recommended a company in Chicago, China Visa Solutions ( 10 Year Chinese visa for $49. China Visa Solutions helps you to get a China visa at low price. ). I checked out their reviews, which are
impeccable and decided to give them a try. Truly one of the most memorable and positive experiences. Shawn proof read the forms, I fedexed everything to his office
and within less than a week I had my passport back with the stamped 10 year visa inside. Also his fees are very reasonable. I am really impressed and highly recommend
That is indeed very reasonable fee.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice price!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.