Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by pianoamit
I wish, Bluehen1. I did that 5 years ago (although with a visa) and went to Shanghai, Beijing and Guilin. This time, I have had to come to China to be with my other half who was on a business trip, fell ill and needed emergency surgery.
Sorry to hear about your partner. I assume that you may be on your way to China and might not be accessing FT, but if you are, when you get to China, first get a medical opinion on recovery timing and when your partner will be able to travel. Or if the need for medivac is present, how long it will take to make the arrangements. It's good to know that you could use TWOV, but this is one of those situations where with some documentation backup on partner's condition, you might be able to go to the Entry/Exit Department of the Public Security Bureau in Shanghai (I assume that's where partner is now), and request and get special dispensation to extend your stay or even convert to a limited visa. This would be extraordinary but your situation is uncommon. Your hand will be stronger if you are married rather than some other status.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

And if that doesn't work out and you need to spend longer in Shanghai, then fly down to HK, where Americans can usually get 10-year multiple-entry visas with 60-day stays per entry, even if not resident in HK. Spring Airlines usually has the cheapest fares on that route,.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Hi, been seeing a few things about problems getting a Chinese visa (looking to get an L) if you've been to Turkey. Is this true or just a one off thing last year? For reference, I'm a UK citizen and had a weekend in Istanbul just before Christmas.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Hi, been seeing a few things about problems getting a Chinese visa (looking to get an L) if you've been to Turkey. Is this true or just a one off thing last year? For reference, I'm a UK citizen and had a weekend in Istanbul just before Christmas.
This may still be an issue. As of late last 2017 (November) there are reports that passengers attempting TWOV who have Turkey visa stamps have been denied TWOV, so it could extend to L visas. These are pax on otherwise eligible European/Australian passports with no other remarkable distinctions (ie don't have Turkish names).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

You can sometimes satisfy them with a statement that you were just in Turkey for a short period as a tourist, but you will probably be asked about your travel to Turkey.

As recently as last week, immigration on entry to China asked about travel to Turkey when they spotted a Turkish entry stamp, so the concern is ongoing. Again, it's not an absolute ban, but you need to satisfy them somehow.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Thanks all... All fine now. I went to HK and came back on another TWOV. We're ready to go home on Wednesday, so all worked out in the end...
Randomness and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by 889
You can sometimes satisfy them with a statement that you were just in Turkey for a short period as a tourist, but you will probably be asked about your travel to Turkey.

As recently as last week, immigration on entry to China asked about travel to Turkey when they spotted a Turkish entry stamp, so the concern is ongoing. Again, it's not an absolute ban, but you need to satisfy them somehow.
Hmmm. Good to know, thanks. I was hoping this issue was past. Guess not.

I'm planning a trip to the Caucasus overland from Europe via Turkey now that the US-Turkey visa spat is apparently smoothed over, but I'm now reconsidering with a view to the effect such a trip might have on future visits to China. I may now go back to the plan I put together during the visa difficulties and fly straight to GYD or TBS instead. (I'm a US passport holder with a current valid Chinese 10 year multiple-entry L visa.)

I already have some Turkish entry and exit stamps in the same passport as the Chinese L visa and its associated entry and exit stamps, but the Turkish stamps are more recent. On the one hand the next time I enter China they may ask me about those stamps anyway so I should go to Turkey again regardless, but on the other hand maybe it'll go easier for me entering China if I don't collect more Turkish stamps I have to explain? My previous visits to Turkey on this passport were stopovers in Istanbul for less than 4 days each.

This is a bit of a concern because I also have a plan to visit friends in the Pearl River Delta later this year and want to be able to cross back and forth to Hong Kong and Macao without delays at entry to explain myself every time. (Or worse, being refused entry on one of those side trips.)

Any thoughts on whether I should avoid getting any more Turkish stamps on this passport? Perhaps six stamps are as a bad as four as far as the Chinese authorities are concerned. Or whether having to explain a tourist trip across Turkey from Bulgaria to Georgia will be more of a problem than just having a couple of extended stopovers at IST?

It's all a shame because I really do enjoy visiting both China and Turkey and have been to both countries multiple times.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:12 pm

All I can say is that a fairly recent Turkish stamp was not spotted on several entries until last week. There was some consternation, and a couple of questions in Chinese about the time spent in Turkey and the purpose of the visit. Not really a big deal, but nonetheless a really big surprise to be asked at all about the Turkish stamps when entering China. (There were two immigration officers in what seemed to be a trainee-trainer situation, and it was the trainer who spotted the Turkish stamp.)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Thanks everyone, booked a trip to Jordan instead
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:12 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Sanya Landing Visa?

Trying to find info about Sanya Landing Visa for UK passport. Timatic seems to indicate an invitation is needed for Sanya airport, but not Haikou. But elsewhere people say they have gotten Landing Visa in Sanya. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Trying to find info about Sanya Landing Visa for UK passport. Timatic seems to indicate an invitation is needed for Sanya airport, but not Haikou. But elsewhere people say they have gotten Landing Visa in Sanya. Does anyone have experience with this?
From what I can see in the full version of TIMATIC the wording is similar for both Sanya and Haikou, the difference being the former is 30 days and the latter 15:

- Passengers with a British passport with nationality of
British Citizen shown on the bio-data page arriving at
Sanya (SYX) and traveling on an organized tour to Hainan
province in a tourist group of 5 or more people for a
maximum of 30 days. Tours must be organized by a travel
agent registered in Hainan province and approved by the
National Tourism Administration of China.

British Citizen shown on the bio-data page arriving at
Haikou (HAK) and traveling on an organized tour to Hainan
province in a tourist group of 5 or more people for a
maximum of 15 days. Tours must be organized by a travel
agent registered in Hainan province and approved by the
National Tourism Administration of China.
This was copied from the TIAMTIC extract posted by KVS in the wiki of the China TWOV thread here on FT.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:17 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
From what I can see in the full version of TIMATIC the wording is similar for both Sanya and Haikou, the difference being the former is 30 days and the latter 15:

This was copied from the TIAMTIC extract posted by KVS in the wiki of the China TWOV thread here on FT.
There are two rules for SYX.. groups of 5 (visa-free) and the 'landing visa'.
Code:
Visa Issuance:

British Citizen  shown on the bio-data page can obtain a

visa on arrival at Sanya (SYX) for a maximum stay of 30
  days. They must have:
  - a passport valid for at least 6 months on arrival; and 
  - 2 passport photos; and
  - a hotel reservation; and

- an invitation letter from Tourist Agency or other

corporations/organizers/sponsors; and

- contact information from a local person; and

- documents that prove the purpose of visit.
  Payable in cash only. Local currency or US dollar are
  accepted.
Though from tripadvisor some people have gotten visa just with hotel/flight info. Just wondering if airline (American) would let me checkin in USA if I don't have an invitation
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hauteboy
There are two rules for SYX.. groups of 5 (visa-free) and the 'landing visa'.
Code:
Visa Issuance:

British Citizen shown on the bio-data page can obtain a

visa on arrival at Sanya (SYX) for a maximum stay of 30
days. They must have:
- a passport valid for at least 6 months on arrival; and
- 2 passport photos; and
- a hotel reservation; and

- an invitation letter from Tourist Agency or other

corporations/organizers/sponsors; and

- contact information from a local person; and

- documents that prove the purpose of visit.
Payable in cash only. Local currency or US dollar are
accepted.
Though from tripadvisor some people have gotten visa just with hotel/flight info. Just wondering if airline (American) would let me checkin in USA if I don't have an invitation
My apologies for misreading your earlier post (landing visa).

Data points from the TWOV thread suggest AA can be overly cautious when interpreting TIMATIC. It would be safest to assume that AA could (possibly quite likely) refuse boarding unless you satisfy, to the letter, the requirements in TIMATIC.

If that needs an invitation it would be best to secure one.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Do I need to leave passport with consulate while processing visa?

Searched the thread without finding the answer... I'm looking to get a Chinese L tourist visa at the consulate in Los Angeles. The website says about four days' processing time, after which you can "pick up your visa". Although I travel internationally quite a bit, it's usually to countries for which I don't need a visa as a US citizen. My only experience with getting a visa is a work visa for India.

So my question is this: To get the L visa, do I need to leave my passport with the consulate as my visa is being processed? I don't see anything about this in the Chinese embassy's FAQs, and the wording on the website ("pick up your visa", not "pick up your passport") makes me wonder. The reason I ask is because I do have a very important trip to India coming up in just three weeks (and I wouldn't have time to get the Chinese visa afterward), so I don't want to risk anything going wrong with the visa process and not getting my passport back in time.

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
yes, you will leave your passport. They need a place to put the visa ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.