Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Quarantine tips

Quarantine tips

Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Quarantine tips

Since there's a thread on entry into China, I thought it might be useful to have a thread on quarantine tips. For example, what to pack in luggage, how to exercise, how to try to get best hotels, etc.

I've not gone through it, but these are things I've heard from others who have (including Moondog):

- For Shanghai, Xuhui district seems to have decent hotels (I've seen bad ones in Changning)
- Alcohol and knife deliveries are not allowed, so plan accordingly
- Depending on the hotel, food deliveries are not allowed

Open questions

- is VIP treatment possible (i.e., better hotels?)
- what city has the best (if you can call it that) quarantine? For example I've seen hotels in Xiamen with outdoor spaces
joesk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Since there's a thread on entry into China, I thought it might be useful to have a thread on quarantine tips. For example, what to pack in luggage, how to exercise, how to try to get best hotels, etc.

I've not gone through it, but these are things I've heard from others who have (including Moondog):

- For Shanghai, Xuhui district seems to have decent hotels (I've seen bad ones in Changning)
- Alcohol and knife deliveries are not allowed, so plan accordingly
- Depending on the hotel, food deliveries are not allowed

Open questions

- is VIP treatment possible (i.e., better hotels?)
- what city has the best (if you can call it that) quarantine? For example I've seen hotels in Xiamen with outdoor spaces
Ive done it twice so far so Ill chime in.

I believe VIP treatment is possible if arranged in advance and with enough pull. If youre the China CEO of Apple I think youll be able to get decent treatment, maybe even at home Q. If youre an average expat then expect the normal routine. I saw a husband and wife couple get off my flight from SFO and immediately get whisked away at the airport after baggage claim (someone official was holding a sign with their name) and didnt have to go through the waiting at the airport for your hotel to be assigned. This is likely arranged through the government in your district and your HR or government contact.

Shanghai is without a doubt the best place to go through quarantine as they allow the 14 + 7 with the 7 basically free to roam the city. A crappy hotel cell for two weeks followed by 7 days of pretty much unlimited freedom beats 21 days or more in a nicer hotel.

For exercise I walked back in forth in my room everyday until I reached 10k steps. Took about 3 hours every morning. I also brought resistance bands which I used daily as well.

The meals were terrible but I came prepared with quick oats for breakfast, lots of packaged foods like the fruit pouches and tuna on the go type stuff they sell at target. I also bought instant espresso and instant coffee. Beef jerky and lots of cookies and crackers to give myself some treats. Turns out I ended up ordering from Aldi every day which was awesome! Dont forget to pack a cup, mug, bowl and utensils. I basically had one whole suitcase dedicated to food/necessities for the 2 weeks.

Bring books and load shows you want to watch as well. Also remember, its not as bad as it sounds :-)
joesk and tauphi like this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I know two people who have done VIP:
-a friend of mine has a friend pretty high up in Shanghai immigration, and cashed in on a favor
-the man directly behind me on UA857

The first got a Wyndham and the second got the Crowne Plaza Xujiahui. Honestly, neither of these are huge upgrades over the place I stayed, though the Crowne Plaza guy told me the food was good there. The fast track immigration (the current process is painfully slow) and the private car might be more valuable benefits than the better hotels because after a 15 hour flight, getting to your room in 1.5 hours is a lot more appealing than 4 hours. It's not just the time factor, but those 4 hours are miserable.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it seems that most hotels permit grocery deliveries (and, I had no problem including beer at the bottom of the boxes), but fewer permit prepared foods. A possible reason for this at my hotel was that they only accepted pre-noon deliveries, which they brought around to rooms at around 3p. Anyway, I ended up completely ditching the meal plan after day 7, and had lots of cheese, lunch meats, bread, cookies, fruits, vegetables, etc delivered almost daily. I also ordered instant noodles from the hotel every day (y8) and added bell peppers or similar in order to make them more delicious and somewhat healthy. I previously told you guys my knife story. In the end, it wasn't that hard smuggling one in, and the knife (box cutter) cost next to nothing, but waiting a day+ for it to show up meant that I wasn't able to eat much of the produce that I had. So, yeah, bring a knife with you.

To watch video content on the hotel room TV (instead of my computer), I prepared two solutions in advance, and both worked: 1. USB disks and 2. X-cast.

After I got out, I failed to show up for a PCR test on one of the designated days. This prompted my minder to become even more anal. When you leave the hotel, they'll give you a piece of paper showing hospitals (there are lots to choose from) along with the days you're supposed to go. I will say that the hospital I went to (Huaihai Road/Shanxi Road) was extremely efficient, and +7 people skip the line at the entrance.
joesk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:05 am

My friend who shared the pictures of his Xiamen hotel definitely thought it was first rate (I think he paid 700 per night instead of 300-500 that seems to be standard here). However, because there was an outbreak towards the end of his 14 days, they tacked on an additional 7 days there. Then, for some reason, after he got to Hangzhou, he was treated to an additional 14 days of hotel quarantine. The outbreak thing was bad luck for him, but I'd like to think that funny business doesn't happen in Shanghai.

And, of course, we know to avoid Shenyang, not that it's on your radar. Beijing seems to be okay now, but whenever things get a little out of whack, they tighten up the rules. If the HK travel bubble happens before your trip, I'd look into it as an option because you get to pick your own hotel, including several executive apartments with full kitchens. I've also heard that q in HK is much friendlier.
joesk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Air China Phoenix Miles
Originally Posted by moondog
My friend who shared the pictures of his Xiamen hotel definitely thought it was first rate (I think he paid 700 per night instead of 300-500 that seems to be standard here). However, because there was an outbreak towards the end of his 14 days, they tacked on an additional 7 days there. Then, for some reason, after he got to Hangzhou, he was treated to an additional 14 days of hotel quarantine. The outbreak thing was bad luck for him, but I'd like to think that funny business doesn't happen in Shanghai.
A friend of mine was released from his 14+7 quarantine in Shanghai on November 25th, which he said was "so comfortable", two days later he flew back to Handan and was hit with another 14 days hotel quarantine......

I will make a note of all the useful tips on this thread to hopefully make my planned return next March a bit more easier......
Old Dec 12, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by steveb1955
A friend of mine was released from his 14+7 quarantine in Shanghai on November 25th, which he said was "so comfortable", two days later he flew back to Handan and was hit with another 14 days hotel quarantine......

I will make a note of all the useful tips on this thread to hopefully make my planned return next March a bit more easier......
One thing I forgot to mention about the +7 is the Crowne Plaza man I mentioned was kept in the Crowne Plaza for the extra 7 days because he hadn't bothered to book anywhere else or show proof of residence. The "anywhere else" is a little tricky because not all hotels accept +7s. Still, he had two weeks to do research and/or ask people to help him. I actually found my new apartment while I was still in quarantine, paid for it, had the lease sent over, and registered with the PSB (this is easy here now because there's an app). I was free (except for the annoying minder watching over me) at 5a on day 14; we all had to be out of that place by 6 because the door is only unlocked between 5 and 6.
joesk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:47 pm

And, of course, we know to avoid Shenyang, not that it's on your radar. Beijing seems to be okay now, but whenever things get a little out of whack, they tighten up the rules. If the HK travel bubble happens before your trip, I'd look into it as an option because you get to pick your own hotel, including several executive apartments with full kitchens. I've also heard that q in HK is much friendlier.
The 28-day quarantine only applies to those whose final destination is Shenyang. If you're just landing in Shenyang before heading elsewhere (including another city within Liaoning), they'll give you the boot after 14 days.

With Omicron, HK has placed almost every country in the world on the high-risk list, and now there is an A+ list as well which the US is on. For high-risk arrivals, you must be an HK resident and will need to quarantine for 21 days. For A+ arrivals, the first seven days of those 21 must be spent at Penny's Bay instead of a hotel.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Mere mortals who don't live/stay in Shanghai can't choose which hotel they end up in.
I've heard that people who live in Shanghai may have a choice of hotel, depending on which district they live in....not sure if true.

The "anywhere else" is a little tricky because not all hotels accept +7s.
So, according to the government 'rules', all hotels are supposed accept the +7s, but there are loopholes. Capacity is one of them, I believe.
I made a list of my preferred hotels based on chain, location and price, and started calling them. It was the third one that said "Yes!".
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
Mere mortals who don't live/stay in Shanghai can't choose which hotel they end up in.
I've heard that people who live in Shanghai may have a choice of hotel, depending on which district they live in....not sure if true.
So what actually happens and when? Do you provide an address after you land? Do you need to prove you live there (like with a lease) or do they take you at your word? Can you just provide the address of a hotel where you plan on doing your +7, and be assigned to that district?
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:38 pm

So what actually happens and when? Do you provide an address after you land? Do you need to prove you live there (like with a lease) or do they take you at your word? Can you just provide the address of a hotel where you plan on doing your +7, and be assigned to that district?

Yes, after you land. They ask you where you're going, and then partition you off with others accordingly. The initial hotel is determined according to your final destination.
You choose the +7 hotel during your 14 night initial quarantine. In Shanghai there were no restrictions on where in Shanghai the +7 hotel had to be.

ADDED:
One really needs to differentiate between the first hotel/facility, and what follows afterward.

1) The initial hotel or quarantine facility for the first 14 nights after arrival in China is what is sometimes referred to as ISOLATED QUARANTINE. During this time you will not be allowed to exit your room. You are isolated within that room for 14 nights. The door opens, and you are asked to leave exactly 336 hours after arrival or landing. (This at least was the case with me for a PVG arrival, and Shanghai isolated quarantine hotel).

2) The next steps are completely dictated by your final destination; this varies a lot depending on where you arrived, and where your final destination is.
For a PVG arrival and a Beijing final destination, for instance, there is an +7 Shanghai hotel stay requirement. This hotel was completely my choice, providing the hotel allows +7 guests. During this +7 time, you're pretty much free to do as you please, although you are asked to stay away from crowds. Restaurants are fine, ferry was fine, shopping is fine, etc.

There's also things called home quarantine and community health monitoring, with various degrees of restrictions/obligations.

Here's decently accurate and mostly up-to-date list for some Chinese cities, and the differences in their respective quarantine requirements:
https://www.ikkyinchina.com/china-tu...ltimate-guide/

ADDED #2:

Chose your initial China arrival city carefully: for a Beijing final destination, it is advantageous to not arrive in Beijing for instance, as the 3rd week quarantine has more freedom-of-movement if NOT arriving in Beijing.
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 13, 2021 at 1:22 am Reason: Added info on hotel difference, isolated vs. +7. 2nd edit: added more info
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:47 am

1. Go to the desk next to the Xuhui sign
2. Show them proof of address
3. Wait

When I arrived, there were only 8 of us in the Xuhui section and we all got on the same bus (after about an hour of sitting...maybe they were hoping more people would show up) and went to the same hotel.
joesk likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:35 pm

I met a lady yesterday who walked 13,000 steps per day back and forth in her q hotel room.
joesk likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I did the Wyndham in Shanghai. I work for an international organization and they arrange to get us through the airport quickly. Also all international diplomats (which I'm not) get put up there as well. It's all pre-arranged.
Whatever hotel you get - the only thing that remains there of the original hotel is the building and furniture. The service has nothing to do with what's typical for the hotel.

At the Wyndham, you can order non-perishable food from meituan or other delivery services. If you want to get a SIM card quickly, nihao mobile will deliver one to you.

What to pack
If you need alcohol, pack that in your luggage, otherwise you won't be able to get any.
I'm really glad I packed some tea. You get a couple of tea bags and instant coffee packets and that's it, so bring your own coffee/tea. Drinks - they only provided a few bottles of water, I took some from the plane. You can order more bottles, or boil your own water with the kettle they provide.
The amount of soap they provide is also quite inadequate - especially if you want to wash clothes. All the food is provided in disposable containers - so no need to wash dishes.
I would also bring a mug or a few paper cups.
Pack any other snacks you may want - or get them delivered.
Coffee and chocolate in China is more expensive than elsewhere - so consider bringing some with you for post-quarantine life

Exercise - I did a couple of routines every day - one in the AM one in the afternoon and a bit of meditation. I found some routines that worked for me on youtube and just downloaded that onto my phone to follow along.

If you're not working, find something that would keep you busy - ideally that does not involve a screen (as you'll probably be staring at one for too long anyway).
I found the experience to be pleasant and relaxing, but was happy to be out afterwards
joesk and narvik like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:49 pm

narvik likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Palal
I did the Wyndham in Shanghai.
I did NOT the Wyndham in Shanghai!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.