FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quarantine tips
Thread: Quarantine tips
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:35 am
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Since there's a thread on entry into China, I thought it might be useful to have a thread on quarantine tips. For example, what to pack in luggage, how to exercise, how to try to get best hotels, etc.

I've not gone through it, but these are things I've heard from others who have (including Moondog):

- For Shanghai, Xuhui district seems to have decent hotels (I've seen bad ones in Changning)
- Alcohol and knife deliveries are not allowed, so plan accordingly
- Depending on the hotel, food deliveries are not allowed

Open questions

- is VIP treatment possible (i.e., better hotels?)
- what city has the best (if you can call it that) quarantine? For example I've seen hotels in Xiamen with outdoor spaces
I’ve done it twice so far so I’ll chime in.

I believe VIP treatment is possible if arranged in advance and with enough pull. If you’re the China CEO of Apple I think you’ll be able to get decent treatment, maybe even at home Q. If you’re an average expat then expect the normal routine. I saw a husband and wife couple get off my flight from SFO and immediately get whisked away at the airport after baggage claim (someone official was holding a sign with their name) and didn’t have to go through the waiting at the airport for your hotel to be assigned. This is likely arranged through the government in your district and your HR or government contact.

Shanghai is without a doubt the best place to go through quarantine as they allow the 14 + 7 with the 7 basically free to roam the city. A crappy hotel cell for two weeks followed by 7 days of pretty much unlimited freedom beats 21 days or more in a nicer hotel.

For exercise I walked back in forth in my room everyday until I reached 10k steps. Took about 3 hours every morning. I also brought resistance bands which I used daily as well.

The meals were terrible but I came prepared with quick oats for breakfast, lots of packaged foods like the fruit pouches and tuna on the go type stuff they sell at target. I also bought instant espresso and instant coffee. Beef jerky and lots of cookies and crackers to give myself some treats. Turns out I ended up ordering from Aldi every day which was awesome! Don’t forget to pack a cup, mug, bowl and utensils. I basically had one whole suitcase dedicated to food/necessities for the 2 weeks.

Bring books and load shows you want to watch as well. Also remember, it’s not as bad as it sounds :-)