Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

One day in Shanghai

One day in Shanghai

Old Apr 13, 19, 3:44 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 15,012
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The bus between PVG and SHA is not courtesy bus, but it also requires a lot less time and patience than Line 2. I just took one of the buses this evening, and can confirm that there is no sort of security check performed.
I meant the bus between T1 and T2 at SHA. You had recommended taking the Metro line 2 as a way to avoid it. Iíve got the impression here that itís a real hassle.
Do we need cash to get on? 2 yuan each?

Thanks for confirming that the direct bus from the SHA domestic terminal (T2) to PVG doesnít involve an X Ray screen or security search.
Is it about 30 yuan each? We will need to get some currency out (was way too easy to spend on our last visit!)
LapLap is offline  
Old Apr 13, 19, 5:03 pm
  #47  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,776
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
I meant the bus between T1 and T2 at SHA. You had recommended taking the Metro line 2 as a way to avoid it. Iíve got the impression here that itís a real hassle.
Do we need cash to get on? 2 yuan each?
Where does SHA T1 come into play? Are you flying into PVG and out of SHA T1?

If so, I'd be strongly tempted to simply take a taxi or Didi the entire way. Neither bus 1 nor Line 2 serves SHA T1.
moondog is online now  
Old Apr 14, 19, 2:08 pm
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 15,012
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Where does SHA T1 come into play? Are you flying into PVG and out of SHA T1?

If so, I'd be strongly tempted to simply take a taxi or Didi the entire way. Neither bus 1 nor Line 2 serves SHA T1.
We're flying into SHA T1 and need to get to T2 in order to get the bus to PVG.
Metro isn't an option full stop as the security would prohibit us taking our bags.
We are not interested in taking a taxi (saw a car overturn right in front of us - spectacularly - yesterday. My heart still races remembering it. That did not dispel my anti car position.)
I understand there is a T1 to T2 bus service and that it might be 2 yuan. Not certain if a security check is needed to board it. I'd guess no.
LapLap is offline  
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:11 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PVG
Posts: 715
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
We're flying into SHA T1 and need to get to T2 in order to get the bus to PVG.
Metro isn't an option full stop as the security would prohibit us taking our bags.
We are not interested in taking a taxi (saw a car overturn right in front of us - spectacularly - yesterday. My heart still races remembering it. That did not dispel my anti car position.)
I understand there is a T1 to T2 bus service and that it might be 2 yuan. Not certain if a security check is needed to board it. I'd guess no.
Yeah I can understand your aversion to taxis. A CEO died just last Tuesday on the way to SHA, though it may have been a private car rather than a taxi.

Anyway, the courtesy bus has no security check. However, it only runs every 30 minutes so you'll need to factor that into your schedule.
LapLap likes this.
tauphi is offline  
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:48 pm
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,776
Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Yeah I can understand your aversion to taxis. A CEO died just last Tuesday on the way to SHA, though it may have been a private car rather than a taxi.

Anyway, the courtesy bus has no security check. However, it only runs every 30 minutes so you'll need to factor that into your schedule.
​​​​​​...and the number 1 bus runs every 20 minutes. One would think they sync schedules, but I wouldn't bet on it.
LapLap likes this.
moondog is online now  
Old Dec 7, 19, 10:56 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Jade Golden Circle
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Food tour (I know you can just eat, as well, but for me - esp in foreign cities, and for markets, I like someone else who knows the language - and the vendors - helping me pick out what to eat ;-)
I always like food tours in new cities. I'm just wondering how this food tour compares to others that are available, and if you (or others) have any other recommended food tours. This one is rated #1 on TripAdvisor so i'm sure it's good, but they aren't operating the night that I want to go. Also if you or anyone has a promo/referral code for it please send it along.
Zoltar is offline  
Old Dec 7, 19, 12:57 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Jade Golden Circle
Posts: 123
Also would love a recommendation for a food tour or restaraunt for a dumpling restaraunt or experience.

One friend told me Jia Jia and another recommended Yang's. I've been to Din Tai Fung in other cities.

Can anyone settle the debate and explain the differences? If it helps I am staying in Jing'An.
Zoltar is offline  
Old Dec 7, 19, 11:07 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
New poo has come to light.

Turns out we will be transferring from SHA to PVG with a load of tools, including a few Japanese saws.

We had a marvellous time in Shanghai on our outward leg, which was made longer by a schedule change.
However, another schedule change has shortened this return bound stopover by an hour.

The X-rays at the Metro stations must rule out a SHA terminal change by line 2.
Iím guessing that using the courtesy bus between the terminals is still viable, it just takes a little more time and patience.
From SHA Terminal 2, with the blades on us, and with less available hours to draw from, weíll just get the direct bus to PVG. Is there any reason to suspect that this will be a problem with the saws?

Still not interested in taking a taxi unless itís a genuine emergency.
i would be somewhat surprised if the security theatre performers at the Shanghai metro entrances would even glance up from their mobile phones to notice the tools on the x-ray screens, but I suppose if theyíre valuable you wouldnít want to take the chance.
bobbytables is offline  
Old Dec 7, 19, 11:20 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 589
In your situation I would probably take a cab or DiDi to PVG, but given your preference to avoid cars, just take one from one terminal to the other. It will cost virtually nothing and given the short distance your chances of having something bad happen to you are extremely small. (Iíd argue theyíre rather small anyway, having taken a great many taxis in China and lived to tell the tale, but a guy did once fall asleep while driving me to PVG. That happened to me in Germany once too though.)
bobbytables is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 1:58 am
  #55  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 15,012
Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
In your situation I would probably take a cab or DiDi to PVG, but given your preference to avoid cars, just take one from one terminal to the other. It will cost virtually nothing and given the short distance your chances of having something bad happen to you are extremely small. (I’d argue they’re rather small anyway, having taken a great many taxis in China and lived to tell the tale, but a guy did once fall asleep while driving me to PVG. That happened to me in Germany once too though.)
My situation was way back in April.
If you’re interested I made a quick report here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31111730-post44.html
Our experience of the security teams at the Metro stations (particularly at PVG) was completely at odds with yours; abrupt but pleasant and certainly alert.
Even after using the bus from SHA to PVG we still had to open up and go through our luggage and perform our own theatre performance mimes to explain what our tools were for (and it wasn’t the saws they were most concerned about, for a while we thought we were going to have to leave the packs of soldering alloy behind) just to get into the airport.

Our next transit through Shanghai in April should be straightforward (no changing airport). We have a 23 hour layover in Chengdu just before then. No tools.
The load of tools MrLapLap is taking to Bangladesh next month is a whole other story.
LapLap is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 2:28 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
My situation was way back in April.
If youíre interested I made a quick report here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31111730-post44.html
Our experience of the security teams at the Metro stations (particularly at PVG) was completely at odds with yours; abrupt but pleasant and certainly alert.
Even after using the bus from SHA to PVG we still had to open up and go through our luggage and perform our own theatre performance mimes to explain what our tools were for (and it wasnít the saws they were most concerned about, for a while we thought we were going to have to leave the packs of soldering alloy behind) just to get into the airport.
Oops, should really check the date on earlier posts when threads get bumped. Glad it worked out ok, and nice trip report. Drivers in Shanghai do like to multitask, although on the plus side they typically drive a lot slower than drivers in many other places!

sounds like you got the security ďAĒ team - I lived in Shanghai for years and ďalertĒ is not a word I would have used to describe any of the metro security staff I encountered. Just passed back through this week and many people seem to have now realised that if itís a bit busy you can just wander past - they might half-heartedly tell you off but they wonít do anything else!
LapLap likes this.
bobbytables is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:24 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,533
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Also would love a recommendation for a food tour or restaraunt for a dumpling restaraunt or experience.

One friend told me Jia Jia and another recommended Yang's. I've been to Din Tai Fung in other cities.

Can anyone settle the debate and explain the differences? If it helps I am staying in Jing'An.
I liked Jia Jia. It is very different than Din Tai Fung.

Not sure what is Yang's.
fumje is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 10:48 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,776
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I liked Jia Jia. It is very different than Din Tai Fung.

Not sure what is Yang's.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...-Shanghai.html
moondog is online now  
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:33 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,533
Thanks for the link. The pictures look like shengjianbao. That will be even more different than the xiaolongbao/tangbao.

I say eat both!

edit add: I notice Zoltar's post asks for more detail
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Also would love a recommendation for a food tour or restaraunt for a dumpling restaraunt or experience.

One friend told me Jia Jia and another recommended Yang's. I've been to Din Tai Fung in other cities.

Can anyone settle the debate and explain the differences? If it helps I am staying in Jing'An.
Jia Jia makes xiaolongbao-type dumplings, and they have steamed dough with broth and meat (or other) filling inside.

(From the pictures) Yang's makes shengjianbao, which are fried on the bottom, so they are crispy, and the dough is a little bit thicker. They can also be pretty juicy.
fumje is offline  
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:46 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Jade Golden Circle
Posts: 123
Thoughts on Old Jesse?
Zoltar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: