FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One day in Shanghai
View Single Post
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:28 am
bobbytables

Originally Posted by LapLap
My situation was way back in April.
If you’re interested I made a quick report here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31111730-post44.html
Our experience of the security teams at the Metro stations (particularly at PVG) was completely at odds with yours; abrupt but pleasant and certainly alert.
Even after using the bus from SHA to PVG we still had to open up and go through our luggage and perform our own theatre performance mimes to explain what our tools were for (and it wasn’t the saws they were most concerned about, for a while we thought we were going to have to leave the packs of soldering alloy behind) just to get into the airport.
Oops, should really check the date on earlier posts when threads get bumped. Glad it worked out ok, and nice trip report. Drivers in Shanghai do like to multitask, although on the plus side they typically drive a lot slower than drivers in many other places!

sounds like you got the security “A” team - I lived in Shanghai for years and “alert” is not a word I would have used to describe any of the metro security staff I encountered. Just passed back through this week and many people seem to have now realised that if it’s a bit busy you can just wander past - they might half-heartedly tell you off but they won’t do anything else!