FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   One day in Shanghai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1925313-one-day-shanghai.html)

moondog Aug 15, 2018 5:53 am

One day in Shanghai

This thread is more difficult than "one day in Beijing" because Shanghai is not as interesting as Beijing, but let's have a go at it.

1. Get a hotel in jing'an
2. Urban history museum
3. Shanghai museum
4. Aquarium
5. Flair

Hoyaheel Aug 15, 2018 10:33 am

Self-guided Walking Tour
Food tour (I know you can just eat, as well, but for me - esp in foreign cities, and for markets, I like someone else who knows the language - and the vendors - helping me pick out what to eat ;-)

moondog Aug 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 30085729)
Self-guided Walking Tour
Food tour (I know you can just eat, as well, but for me - esp in foreign cities, and for markets, I like someone else who knows the language - and the vendors - helping me pick out what to eat ;-)

I read your linked article, but honestly can't endorse it. Basically, walking is a sensible plan in Beijing if you just do FC to Nanlouguxiang, but Shanghai's sites are more spread out. By way of example, I never cross the river unless I have to, but tourists should certainly go to Pudong (walking is not an option). That having been said, picking a hotel in a nice part of town should be a top priority.

Hoyaheel Aug 16, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30087559)
I read your linked article, but honestly can't endorse it. Basically, walking is a sensible plan in Beijing if you just do FC to Nanlouguxiang, but Shanghai's sites are more spread out. By way of example, I never cross the river unless I have to, but tourists should certainly go to Pudong (walking is not an option). That having been said, picking a hotel in a nice part of town should be a top priority.

We did 2-3 portions of those walking tours and quite enjoyed them. I don't think we did any one of the walks from start to finish. What I liked was that I had the descriptions of what we were seeing (self-guided and all). I enjoyed it (I enjoy these sorts of self-guided walking tours all over the place). Sure, they're not for everyone. But what is?

If you mean that it would take too long and not be the best use of time for ONLY one day in Shanghai, I could probably agree with that ;-) We also walked the entire Bund after our night market tour. We had several large beers along with the delicious food and the tour ended way at one end. We opted to walk back to our hotel (Hyatt on the Bund) - not sure that's a decision we would have made sober, but it was a lovely night and a beautiful walk. And probably needed after all we ate...

moondog Aug 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 30090173)
We did 2-3 portions of those walking tours and quite enjoyed them. I don't think we did any one of the walks from start to finish. What I liked was that I had the descriptions of what we were seeing (self-guided and all). I enjoyed it (I enjoy these sorts of self-guided walking tours all over the place). Sure, they're not for everyone. But what is?

If you mean that it would take too long and not be the best use of time for ONLY one day in Shanghai, I could probably agree with that ;-) We also walked the entire Bund after our night market tour. We had several large beers along with the delicious food and the tour ended way at one end. We opted to walk back to our hotel (Hyatt on the Bund) - not sure that's a decision we would have made sober, but it was a lovely night and a beautiful walk. And probably needed after all we ate...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c512484fbd.jpg

moondog Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Post 5 is a picture of Flair. You will not find a better view in Shanghai. The drinks are expensive, and the food is even more expensive (i.e. apart from afternoon tea, I avoid it), but we are paying their rent when we go there.

chipmaster Aug 17, 2018 2:55 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30084800)
This thread is more difficult than "one day in Beijing" because Shanghai is not as interesting as Beijing, but let's have a go at it.

2. Urban history museum
3. Shanghai museum
4. Aquarium
5. Flair

Does Bund fall buried in one of the 5? Not sure how one wouldn't do Bund and

1-3 agree
Can't see why Aquarium is worth it or special in Shanghai versus other places ( should I visit, LOL ), swap it for Bund
5) I guess Flair includes time in Lujiazui
6) Yuan Garden
7) Zhujiajiao

moondog Aug 17, 2018 4:11 am

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 30092876)
Does Bund fall buried in one of the 5? Not sure how one wouldn't do Bund and

1-3 agree
Can't see why Aquarium is worth it or special in Shanghai versus other places ( should I visit, LOL ), swap it for Bund
5) I guess Flair includes time in Lujiazui
6) Yuan Garden
7) Zhujiajiao

I am from Boston, and our aquarium is supposedly world class, but I must say that the Shanghai aquarium is simply better.

I generally don't do tourist traps like Yu Yuan, but the museums are certainly worthy of a visit.

Apart from the aquarium, 陆家嘴 isn't my style. I feel a bit guilty for liking Flair so much, but it honestly is stunning. The Hyatts and SL simply don't compare.

moondog Aug 17, 2018 4:17 am

You can see the Bund quite well from Flair. You probably think I work there, but this is not the case.

Hoyaheel Aug 17, 2018 6:36 am

Much depends on what you like to do when you travel. I'd far rather get some buns from a street vendor, a beer, and sit on the Bund people & boat watching for a couple hours than go to an Aquarium or Museum if my time is that short.....I can do the Museum on Day 2, but would skip an aquarium entirely ;-) I really like to walk & see buildings, people, parks etc

anacapamalibu Aug 17, 2018 8:43 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30091224)
Post 5 is a picture of Flair. You will not find a better view in Shanghai. The drinks are expensive, and the food is even more expensive (i.e. apart from afternoon tea, I avoid it), but we are paying their rent when we go there.

I like Shanghai view better than Ozone Bar in Hong Kong...closer in. Although HK has a much more impressive skyline...when you get to higher elevation it diminishes the overall picture.https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f10fefebdd.jpg

moondog Aug 17, 2018 8:44 am

I suppose I am more fond of the aquarium than most people, but it really is quite nice, and justifies crossing the river.

travelinmanS Aug 17, 2018 11:00 am

Shanghai is best explored by bike. Biking from Jiaotong Univeristy through the French Concession then to the bund will take less than 2 hours but give you a good flavor of the city. Taking the bike friendly ferry across the river then biking along the newly installed paths to the “east bund”area of lujiazui will gibe you a nice view of both the bund and all the skyscrapers.

I do do my eating and drinking in the French concession or Jing’an so That’s where I’d recommend hanging out mostly. Shanghai’s size is perfect for bikes.

moondog Aug 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30094255)
Shanghai is best explored by bike. Biking from Jiaotong Univeristy through the French Concession then to the bund will take less than 2 hours but give you a good flavor of the city. Taking the bike friendly ferry across the river then biking along the newly installed paths to the “east bund”area of lujiazui will gibe you a nice view of both the bund and all the skyscrapers.

I do do my eating and drinking in the French concession or Jing’an so That’s where I’d recommend hanging out mostly. Shanghai’s size is perfect for bikes.

Of course I agree with you about staying in Jing'an or Xuhui. People's Square, the Bund, and LJZ are worth a look, but lack character. As you know from the Mobike thread, I also love biking. The thing is, many tourists like to cross the river for a look see, and this is not really possible via bike. The Y2 boat is a good way to get over there (e.g. extremely cheap "river cruise").

RumPatrol Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30084800)

2. Urban history museum
3. Shanghai museum
4. Aquarium
5. Flair

The urban history museum may honestly be one of my favorite museums in the world. Absolutely fascinating. I recommend it to anyone who ever asks me about Shanghai. The Shanghai Museum is outstanding too. I enjoyed the small Shanghai History Museum exhibition at the base of the Pearl Tower quite a bit as well, but I think it has moved to a more permanent location since I was last there. At the former race club maybe?

I'm not sure I would do the aquarium if I had just one day in Shanghai, but it would be the first thing I did on Day 2. I'm originally from Chicago so a world class aquarium was not far away, but the Shanghai aquarium is on par and has a unique collection of animals and exhibits that I don't think you can really find anywhere else. At least not presented as well as it is in Shanghai.

I do think walking The Bund at night is something everyone needs to do at least once so if you're only making one visit to Shanghai, I'd probably cap my night doing that. That skyline view is iconic and as incredible as the view from Flair at the Ritz is, there is something to be said about being at the river's edge looking across to Pudong.