FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   One day in Shanghai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1925313-one-day-shanghai.html)

Zoltar Dec 30, 2019 2:58 pm

BIG thank you to moondog and the rest of the China forum for helping with my SH trip! This thread was super helpful, and moondog was more than generous with his time and advice.

I think we probably could have skipped Shanghai Museum, especially if your trip is only 1 day.

Jing An Temple, Flair, Bund, FOOD, DRINKS, SHOPPING. All were great. We were there for 4 days which allowed us basically to do what could have been done (probably) in 2 days at a very leisurely pace.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread and this forum that is invaluable for first timers planning a trip, so definitely read and ask questions. Saved us from quite a few mistakes.

moondog Dec 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Zoltar I]m really happy that you managed to slot Flair into your brief SH visit. In spite of the fact that I dislike $20 cocktails, if we want to to experience Flair, we need to pay up.

Zoltar Dec 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31891469)
Zoltar I]m really happy that you managed to slot Flair into your brief SH visit. In spite of the fact that I dislike $20 cocktails, if we want to to experience Flair, we need to pay up.

One note on Flair, especially for those planning shorter trips. They close for one hour between 4:30-5:30 to clean from their tea service to evening service. Only those staying at the Ritz can make reservations, so if you want the evening service you will need to lineup.

Expect that most of the 'good tables' along the window will be reserved, but they are typically reserved well in advance of when they are actually going to be used. So the hostess may be willing to let you have a reserved table near the windows if you explain you will only be staying for a drink or two and commit to leaving before a certain time...

moondog Jan 1, 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Zoltar (Post 31893917)
One note on Flair, especially for those planning shorter trips. They close for one hour between 4:30-5:30 to clean from their tea service to evening service. Only those staying at the Ritz can make reservations, so if you want the evening service you will need to lineup.

Expect that most of the 'good tables' along the window will be reserved, but they are typically reserved well in advance of when they are actually going to be used. So the hostess may be willing to let you have a reserved table near the windows if you explain you will only be staying for a drink or two and commit to leaving before a certain time...

RC VIP card members also get priority, and the cost of card often pencils after a single Flair visit. I haven't had a card for several years, but the free night almost covered the entire price of the card in 2017, and I saved Y800 (this number can be MUCH higher) at Flair.

strickers Jan 5, 2020 5:43 am

I've seen the odd comment around that the Urban Planning Museum is closed, does anyone have details of when it will reopen? First trip to Shanghai later this month, staying next to the Bund and was hoping to visit the 2 museums in People's Square.

moondog Jan 5, 2020 5:55 am

Originally Posted by strickers (Post 31910975)
I've seen the odd comment around that the Urban Planning Museum is closed, does anyone have details of when it will reopen? First trip to Shanghai later this month, staying next to the Bund and was hoping to visit the 2 museums in People's Square.

Find somewhere else to visit, and PM me for suggestions.