Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Exp is pretty good again now, but a key for me was downloading their latest beta apps, as prompted by customer service.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Is Exp working properly now? I have to renew subscription for upcoming trip and I only get it to use in China.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Is Exp working properly now? I have to renew subscription for upcoming trip and I only get it to use in China.
Yes. It's pretty solid again. But, I suggest chatting with their CS before your trip in order to get their latest apps.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:03 am

I might have spoken too soon because it has sucked for the past 2 days.

That having been said, if I took 30 minutes to chat with them, they could presumably get me back online.

But, I'm flying to the US this evening, and will simply purchase wifi.

While I know SS is better than exp, I hate having to deal with it (e.g. my IT manager tells me I'm dumb as a brick every time I ask him for help).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:01 pm

Peripheral so I hate to start a new thread, but our son will be in Xi'an soon, and we were wondering what can be expected from iCloud and/or OneDrive. His mobile is carried by T-Mobile, which allegedly has 3G coverage in the downtown area, but he will also have a laptop which will probably connect independently to local WiFi, etc.

I searched and there seem to be many conflicting accounts.

For example, if his mobile automatically uploads pictures to iCloud, will that functionality continue reliably? I had read that Apple was cooperating with the powers-that-be in China, and Microsoft also seems to be cooperating.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Can't comment on iCloud (because I am a proud BlackBerry owner!) but OneDrive works fine for folder syncing purposes, although trying to access the OneDrive website from your browser is blocked.

If it's important to maintain connectivity, I'd recommend setting up a VPN anyway. You might be able to get a free trial that lasts long enough for the trip, or if he's going to be there for a longer period then it's probably worth the investment. PM me if you'd like a referral code for Express, which will give both of us 30 days free.
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
Can't comment on iCloud (because I am a proud BlackBerry owner!) but OneDrive works fine for folder syncing purposes, although trying to access the OneDrive website from your browser is blocked.
iCloud works just fine in China. While Chinese iCloud accounts will store data in China, foreign iCloud accounts data are supposedly stored in the USA. Either way syncing is not an issue in China.
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
So I am leaving for China in a few days, and before renewing my E VPN I had this chat with them:
Our service in China works but is not very smooth.That is an honest answer.We only have limited VPN servers that work.

I am not sure what to do...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
So I am leaving for China in a few days, and before renewing my E VPN I had this chat with them:
Our service in China works but is not very smooth.That is an honest answer.We only have limited VPN servers that work.

I am not sure what to do...
All the VPNs don’t work well now. The government has decided to block them more diligently. Another thing that makes China increasingly unfriendly to foreigners.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:58 am

Although bizarrely, WhatsApp has been working on and off even without a VPN - explain that one...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:39 pm

Although bizarrely, WhatsApp has been working on and off even without a VPN - explain that one...
Cause facebook owns whatsapp and ...
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
All the VPNs don’t work well now. The government has decided to block them more diligently. Another thing that makes China increasingly unfriendly to foreigners.
Are foreign sims still working well?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Are foreign sims still working well?
Yes. They roam on their own networks.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:18 pm

Android push notifications have been unblocked for over a year. So it could be that you're getting your WhatsApp messages through that channel. Can you actually send out a WhatsApp message without a VPN?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Cause facebook owns whatsapp and ...
And...? Does the government approve of Facebook now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.